Will a huge $$ buyout prevent Callahan's firing after this season?

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I was also making a reference to Carrol be he has the opportunity to pick from some of the best athletes in the nation right from California, he mainly doesnt even have to go outside of his own state to recruit. The same goes for Florida and the same goes for Texas. How many times can we just say ok we arent going to recruit outside of Nebraska? For your information I have been playing football since I could walk and been watching/studying football for quite a while as well. You say that i would understand the opinions of others better? What opinons the ones that have no backup or sense to them at all? I want him fired...why.....I dont know he is not a good coach i dont like him....good thought process. What stats are you going by? This years stats, last years, his first year? Are you even taking into account the progress they have made over the last four years? What are our offensive rankings this year? I would imagine they are pretty good. Also name me one situation where a coach came into a program with very very few talented players and totally changed the offense and made it work to a conference or national championship in less than four years. I am not talking about taking an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time and change it to 50% of the time rather an offense that goes from running a completely different offense. Brian Billick? First of all the one super bowl he won his offense sucked!!! Second a monkey could have won the super bowl with the talent he had on defense. Embarrased, are you talking about the beatings we took from Penn st. Iowa st. K-St, colorado, texas, missouri before callahan got here. ya I guess youre right its best to lose by 40 and not recruit the best talent in the nation, lets stick to Iowa and Nebraska. I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Well you are off base because I have given endless stats and examples of Cally mis-guiding this team.

I played QB at AZ during the 90's, coached there, coach as ass. OC at a DII school and coached QB clinics at ASU for people like SAM KELLER!!!

Comparing Devaney stats of any kind or even TO stats is pointless. And Devaney turned it around quicker. BC has only improved our passing game, every other offensive area is worse. Our record isn't better which matters most and our defense is non-existent. I want him fired so we don't delay the inevitable and we try to move beyond this crap sooner rather than later. I have a lot of stats on this board. LOOK AROUND!

How'd we get so fortunate?

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Uhhh hummm. Well, I don't know about studying football, but I know someone who could use a little refresher in grammar.

:thumbs

The way people on this board write I think many of them are former football players. :)

Pardon me Frisco move beyond this mediocrity. I made a mistake. This is very relevant to the football message board though. Good Point!! It's a message board, not a formal letter. People type fast like IM and often make mistakes or use initials. Get over it.

first of all I was making the reference to Devaney in a way that people were calling for him to be fired after two 6-4 seasons and looked how that turned out. He did pretty well didnt he? So let me get this straight, you dont have any reason you want him fired you just think that he is mediocraty? I was also making a reference to Carrol be he has the opportunity to pick from some of the best athletes in the nation right from California, he mainly doesnt even have to go outside of his own state to recruit. The same goes for Florida and the same goes for Texas. How many times can we just say ok we arent going to recruit outside of Nebraska? For your information I have been playing football since I could walk and been watching/studying football for quite a while as well. You say that i would understand the opinions of others better? What opinons the ones that have no backup or sense to them at all? I want him fired...why.....I dont know he is not a good coach i dont like him....good thought process. What stats are you going by? This years stats, last years, his first year? Are you even taking into account the progress they have made over the last four years? What are our offensive rankings this year? I would imagine they are pretty good. Also name me one situation where a coach came into a program with very very few talented players and totally changed the offense and made it work to a conference or national championship in less than four years. I am not talking about taking an offense that runs the ball 60% of the time and change it to 50% of the time rather an offense that goes from running a completely different offense. Brian Billick? First of all the one super bowl he won his offense sucked!!! Second a monkey could have won the super bowl with the talent he had on defense. Embarrased, are you talking about the beatings we took from Penn st. Iowa st. K-St, colorado, texas, missouri before callahan got here. ya I guess youre right its best to lose by 40 and not recruit the best talent in the nation, lets stick to Iowa and Nebraska. I ask you, have you ever coaches, played or studied football?

Well you are off base because I have given endless stats and examples of Cally mis-guiding this team.

I played QB at AZ during the 90's, coached there, coach as ass. OC at a DII school and coached QB clinics at ASU for people like SAM KELLER!!!

Comparing Devaney stats of any kind or even TO stats is pointless. And Devaney turned it around quicker. BC has only improved our passing game, every other offensive area is worse. Our record isn't better which matters most and our defense is non-existent. I want him fired so we don't delay the inevitable and we try to move beyond this crap sooner rather than later. I have a lot of stats on this board. LOOK AROUND!

It wasn't meant for you so move on. Go brush your tooth. Correct that grammar!

It must be hard being you and trying to convince everyone else your as superior as you think you are.

It must be hard being you and trying to convince everyone else your as superior as you think you are.

I'm not but when people question whether or not I understand the game of football and they ask me what I feel makes me qualified to say what I say I site my experience. I am not superior to anyone except people who attack me rather then debate me.

Ahh yes. Accepting mediocrity. Maybe you should flash back to 2002 and 2003. Solich should have been fired after the 6-6 debacle, not just a partial staff change. Hell, I would go back farther and say he never should have been hired in the first place. If you honestly think he would have gotten the job when TO retired had a coaching search been conducted, I have some ocean front property to sell you within walking distance of Memorial Stadium. There hasnt been much more than 'mediocrity' after Osborne retired. Sure, we made a Rose bowl, but we really didnt deserve it, we still had the aura around us, that Miami totally shattered.

Is Callahan the solution? Maybe, maybe not. It really isnt fair to call for a guy's head until he has finished 5 years.

Would I have fired Solich? yes. Would I have hired Callahan? No. I have my own theory on how you hire a head coach for big time schools, and someone who was a head coach elsewhere isnt it.

But calling for firings right now is not helping anything. It isnt helping team moral, and it sure as hell isnt helping recruiting.

Pud pretty much nixed the entire idea of having another TO and giving coaches time by firing Solich after 6 seasons. As long as this hangs over our heads, we will not give another coach the time that TO had. Really, we need to get beyond the giving more time because it's not going to happen.

I'm not sure about all stats, but here goes. I believe out passing game ranks 12th or 13th nationally. When we ran the option, I believe we were usually top 5 rushing the ball. I'm guessing our running game has to just about mirror our ranking of the passing game when we were an option attack team. So, basically the team's passing and running have flip flopped. Our D ranks 75th I believe I read in the nation. Here's my question: where is all this supposed talent? Does anyone believe the D is better 4 years after Solich's departure than it was when he was here? Here is the biggest concern. The defense has regressed horribly under this administration. We are the Texas Tech of the North. We have to score 40+ points every game in order to win because we have no D.

You talk about embarrassing games which is odd because I think BC takes the cake on some of the most embarrassing losses, but yeah let's debate. Would you rather recruit the best talent and lose by 40 or not recruit the best talent and lose by 40? What does it matter as a 40 point loss is a 40 point loss. KState played in a BCS bowl the year you speak as did Colorado. Did you forget about the beatdown KU (yeah lowly KU) put on the Skers a few years back under BC? How about the beatdown by Texas Tech? I only wish TT would have just beaten us by 40 points. You BC lovers shouldn't bring up any of Solich's losses as I just don't think they compare to the losses BC has taken while he's been here.

I don't love BC and I don't hate him. However, I think we all have to look at trends when making up our minds as to whether or not he can be successful here. The most upsetting thing to me is the fact that he once upon a time made his living as an offensive line coach. Since he's been here, our OL has been what I would call subpar. In both the USC game and the Ball State game, we had records tied against us for the most points given up by our defense to an opposing team in a quarter. It just so happened to be the 3rd quarter. What does this tell us? It tells me that while opposing teams are in the locker room at halftime making adjustments, our coaches just are plain and simply getting outcoached. Our D has played poorly. They have taken steps backward despite being called the most talented since BC's been here. Our LB corp. was supposed to be one of it not the best in the Big 12. We're in year 4 of the BC era. So far, we've had to ride on the arm of a transferred in QB all the way from Taylor's All Big 12 performance to Keller's perfomance thus far. Take away these 2 QB's, and we really don't have much to show for ourselves. IMO, this was a put up or shut up year. It's not going well at all so far.

you know, cally talks about offensive balance, but one of his problems is he is so obessed with pass protection, we have failed to produce run blockers on this team, hence the running game is less than productive most of the time.

but seriously, this whole thread goes back to coaching, it really does as there are tons of examples of teams with less starred players that have been turned around very quickly by new coaches.

at this point, after 4 years, all we are asking to see is steady progress!

as for the D, there is no doubt we have the wrong coordinator leading us, absolutely no doubt, looking at the kids, their play and attitude.

if cally won't cut coz loose at the end of the season, then he deserves to drown with his rat bastard buddy all the way to 2011. i personally don't think he is that stupid, nor is Pud either. heads will roll in January.

I Bleed Red you are obvioulsy qualified to say what you feel and think and it probably does pull more weight. However you said that the most important part of improving is the record. Well then you said that he hasnt improved the offense in any area except passing. What is their scoring offensive ranking now to compared when solich was here? I am not comparing stats from TO or Devaneys Era I am saying that just because he hasnt won a NC or Big 12 Championship in three freakin years is no reason to fire a coach especially with all the talent he is bringing in. I am saying what would have happened if we had the same view back then as we do now? Would we even have one NC? Now yes I think if we are still in the same boat after lets say 7 years or more I say fire him. There has not been a repeat NC since the BCS was invented which means that winning it all is harder than ever especially with the limited number of schollies. I say let him have a good amount of time, three years is not a good amount of time. Also could you give me a link to the stats posts that you have on here? Sorry for the grammer if there are any mistakes.

Huskers1-

Of course Callahan would say that he plans on being here for life. What else would he say?

"Oh I'll just hang on to this job for a while until a good NFL opportunity opens up."

Something tells me that wouldn't fly. I have a feeling that Callahan will be here two or three more years and when he leaves, a new coach could walk into a great situation. Callahan came into a pretty sh**ty situation with poor athletes and mediocre facilities. (by modern standards) The next coach will walk into great talent and great facilities.

Your ignorance is what is bringing this program down, bottom line. Do the rest of 'Husker Nation a favor and go root for someone else--you have no idea what it is to be a Nebraska fan, and people like yourself that don't want to see our kids succeed are some of the lowest scum on God's green Earth.

Haha, this has to be my favorite line of the thread. Is this what you sheep are moving onto next since your "Solich ruined the program" excuse isn't going to fly anymore?