Cory Ross - one tough mofo

Blackshirt

This guy has been the difference b/t a potential bowl bid and an absolute debacle. What a stud this guy is..

Ross proves he's one tough 'Pork Chop'

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

In mid-September, Cory Ross slowly and gingerly emerged from a locker room in Pittsburgh, worn to the hilt, among the last Nebraska football players to leave the stadium.

In mid-October, Ross needed crutches to reach the podium for a postgame media session.

Now, another month has passed, and the Nebraska I-back is being helped off of Owen Field in Norman, Okla. Ross' toe is throbbing, his sternum is aching, and he's gasping for his next breath.

Three days later, he's telling reporters something he heard a little boy say in a movie, "Jerry Maguire."

Nebraska I-back Cory Ross has taken punishment, but produced the yardage this season. (Eric Gregory) 

"It looks worse than what it really is," Ross said Tuesday.

Yes, Oklahoma defenders packed a wallop Saturday night, Ross said. In addition to his nagging turf-toe injury, suffered Oct. 16 against Baylor, Ross came home from Norman with a bruised sternum.

"But I didn't feel any differently than I did after any other game," Ross said.

The 5-foot-6, 195-pound Ross carried 30 times for 130 yards against Oklahoma. With eight minutes remaining in the game, trainers helped Ross off of the field after he was pounded to the grass by 6-3, 302-pound Lynn McGruder. The tackle was clean.

Ross sat out of practice Tuesday and is uncertain exactly when he'll return to the field, saying he takes it day by day. It's no reason for anyone to panic; Ross has missed a lot of practice of late because of his toe.

The junior from Denver said his sternum feels fine and he'll have no problem being ready for Nebraska's regular season-ending game against Colorado on Nov. 26 in Lincoln.

Ross is ready for more carries, more pounding, more yards. If that means carrying the football 30-plus times, so be it.

Is Nebraska asking too much of Ross?

"No, not at all," he said. "I want them to let me do more. I mean, I'm greedy like that. I want to be able to do all I can for us to win."

Ross has become Nebraska's most reliable offensive weapon. In each of the last five games, he's accumulated at least 100 yards of total offense. In the last three games, he's averaged 150 rushing yards on 22.6 carries.

For the season, Ross has rushed 196 times for 1,067 yards and six touchdowns.

"Cory's such a tough back," Nebraska left guard Brandon Koch said. "You don't want your back getting pounded on. But Cory's the type of guy who's not going to give up no matter what. He's just going to keep going and going. I have all the admiration in the world for him.

"We have to get down field and make a few more blocks for him."

Said Ross, "I just want to do my best while I'm out there, and I feel I'm doing the best I can."

Ross arguably was at his best against second-ranked Oklahoma.

"In a big-time game like that, you have to let your best come out," he said. "And that's what I felt was coming out."

Ross bolted through creases and ran through tackles despite pain in his chest.

"I thought I strained my muscle right in the chest area, but I just kept playing," Ross said. "I think that final blow just did it."

Ross vows he'll be ready to face Colorado, which ranks last in the Big 12 and No. 100 nationally in total defense. The Buffaloes (6-4, 3-4 Big 12) rank No. 80 in rushing defense.

"You can't look at the stats because this is a rivalry game," Ross said. "Those guys are going to come up here amped up and ready to go."

Without Ross, Nebraska's chances of prevailing would likely diminish considerably. Even with Ross in the fold, the Huskers (5-5, 3-4) have dipped to No. 70 nationally in total offense.

"We've got to get a win," said Ross, mindful that NU needs a victory to become bowl-eligible. "We have to stay focused and do what we know we can do."

Ross said the team's energy level was high Tuesday.

"It's all positive," he said. "You have to stay positive."

Ross hears the naysayers, those who think the program's headed in the wrong direction, that the West Coast offense isn't working.

"It's a growing process," Ross said. "It's a new offense, a new coordinator, new coaches. Everybody's going to go through growing pains."

As if Ross needed more pain.

"I'll carry 50 times if that's what it takes to win the game," he said.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/11/16...62529635256.txt

even with him our offense has been horrible thanks to bill. He don't get the ball like he should like he did against okie and even then it's like all up the middle every play. Teams catch on to that. Mix it up. Run pitches,counters, dives, isos, give to kriewald more.

I agree that we needed him to get involved in other ways than just up the middle. But I think that Oklahoma had too much team speed to try and get to the outside on them and have success.

even with him our offense has been horrible thanks to bill.  He don't get the ball like he should like he did against okie and even then it's like all up the middle every play. Teams catch on to that. Mix it up. Run pitches,counters, dives, isos, give to kriewald more.

I agree that we needed him to get involved in other ways than just up the middle. But I think that Oklahoma had too much team speed to try and get to the outside on them and have success.

You're right there Gamecocks, OU was too fast to try and get to the outside. I understand Dailey isn't great, but Callahan didn't even really try to throw deep, essentially handing the game to Sooners by just running 4 yard draws.

• 10 months later...

This is an old thread and I revived it because it says the same damn thing, and I will never get tired of repeating it. Over the years as a Husker fan there have been a few players who I would consider my "favorites" or just players I appreciate. Trev Alberts, Grant Wistrom and Cory Ross. You want to talk about a class act, a player that defines what it means to wear the scarlet and cream. He has proven himself, he's tough, and he loves being a Husker...Thanks Cory

even with him our offense has been horrible thanks to bill. He don't get the ball like he should like he did against okie and even then it's like all up the middle every play. Teams catch on to that. Mix it up. Run pitches,counters, dives, isos, give to kriewald more.

Is that why you are 1-3 (your only good pick was Maine) on the season in picks and 90% of the board is 4-0? I will admit the offense has been horrible, but you picking Pitts, Wake Forest (who knocked off Clemson), and ISU shows you just want to be negative because anyone will tell you our defense has played real good so far, and you picking those other 3 teams shows that you not only hate our offense, but you don't support the defense enough to think they will keep us in games :dumdum

even with him our offense has been horrible thanks to bill.  He don't get the ball like he should like he did against okie and even then it's like all up the middle every play. Teams catch on to that. Mix it up. Run pitches,counters, dives, isos, give to kriewald more.

Is that why you are 1-3 (your only good pick was Maine) on the season in picks and 90% of the board is 4-0? I will admit the offense has been horrible, but you picking Pitts, Wake Forest (who knocked off Clemson), and ISU shows you just want to be negative because anyone will tell you our defense has played real good so far, and you picking those other 3 teams shows that you not only hate our offense, but you don't support the defense enough to think they will keep us in games :dumdum

He is doing poorly on his picks Nameless, but do we really need to pick on a post he made almost a year ago? I was confused when he said Kriewald till I saw the date :)

I frequent another site that has a guy called schestev. He and Bernard disappear at the same times. Could it be the same person. I would say without a doubt...

But as Jake says he did post it a year ago Nameless. He may have changed his mind about this years defense who knows. I am hoping by next year all will be on the same page with the whole team.