This Staff Has To Go NOW!!!!

father5

No, it's not the coaches fault that Steve Pederson was fired. That was a highly unusual move, and naturally you're going to have ugly consequences. Things get worse before they get better. Recruiting has little to do with a team's record in the end - look at Notre Dame! Yeah, it's the coaches who are responsible for our record, but when they're trying to recruit while everyone sees them as lame ducks on their way out, they're not going to be successful, and nothing they can say will change that. The least they could do is be honest. And they are being honest. BC has been saying, they're trying to keep this recruits. But the bottom line is, they don't know if they'll be here next year.

Home boy, Steve Pederson was fired because of the football team's lack of success on the field, which is directly tied into the coaching staff's performance.

You think Pederson was fired because our soccer team underperformed? Come on!

A huge part of why Ped was fired was his Management skills. That means he does not and did not work well with the people in the athletic department. Most of them infact. It wasn't just football. To say Football had nothing to do with it would be idiotic but it wasn't all of it. He ruined any sence of "family" and any comfortable feeling in working there. He removed alot of memorabilia from the walls and cases. Very very important members of the Husker Family that have been there the majority of their carreers left and not on good terms. Some of them are needed very badly. There are alot of very good reasons Ped is gone and it is not all football.

I'm not a fan of this staff but I don't have a problem with them being honest with recruits about the way things are going. Ya they should say some nice things about the program and keeping Neb in-mind but I can't see expecting them to hard-sell and blow hot-air up a kid's ass when they know they are gone.

Back in 03 Barney Cotton did something similar, told a kid he should wait and see how things shake-out before making a decision.

No, it's not the coaches fault that Steve Pederson was fired. That was a highly unusual move, and naturally you're going to have ugly consequences. Things get worse before they get better. Recruiting has little to do with a team's record in the end - look at Notre Dame! Yeah, it's the coaches who are responsible for our record, but when they're trying to recruit while everyone sees them as lame ducks on their way out, they're not going to be successful, and nothing they can say will change that. The least they could do is be honest. And they are being honest. BC has been saying, they're trying to keep this recruits. But the bottom line is, they don't know if they'll be here next year.

Home boy, Steve Pederson was fired because of the football team's lack of success on the field, which is directly tied into the coaching staff's performance.

A huge part of why Ped was fired was his Management skills. That means he does not and did not work well with the people in the athletic department. Most of them infact. It wasn't just football. To say Football had nothing to do with it would be idiotic but it wasn't all of it. He ruined any sence of "family" and any comfortable feeling in working there. He removed alot of memorabilia from the walls and cases. Very very important members of the Husker Family that have been there the majority of their carreers left and not on good terms. Some of them are needed very badly. There are alot of very good reasons Ped is gone and it is not all football.

Football represents 99% of the reason SP was fired. Yes there were other things going on, but the lack of success of this football program did him in, and here's why - all the things to which you are referring are true, but they were also true last season, and the season before that, and the season before that, and the season before that.

Suddenly we get into year four of the BCE, and the team is still in the tank, and arguably far worse than they ever were under Frank Solich. Meanwhile the baseball team is still doing well, the women's basketball team is doing better than ever, the men's basketball team is giving us tons of reasons for optimism, and the volleyball team is perhaps the most fearsome team in any sport in the history of Nebraska Athletics.

You can't tell me that this football season was not the reason SP is gone. It just doesn't hold water.

You can't tell me that this football season was not the reason SP is gone. It just doesn't hold water.

Football was NOT the reason Steve Pederson was fired. Paul Meyers resigning was the nail in the coffin. Harvey Perlman took a long hard look at what was going on in the department after Meyer's resigned. Meyers was the person who most of the boosters interfaced with day to day.

I thought Pearlman said he received two emails during the evaluation period. One good one bad, that statement leads me to believe that football was a larger part than what he wants to admit. It would be more difficult to defend a firing if he said Pedey was being fired for a poor football performance. I believe that the "Management" issues were a smoke screen simply to get things moving. I am also guessing that the presure being put on by boosters probably wasn't due to how Pedey managed his staff. Go Huskers!

wow i love how everyone hates the coaches now, notice our defensive line coach only one gone from last year... Whats r weakest spot this year? defensive line maybe?

i dont kno if u guys relize it took osborne 21 years for a national title

just sayin....

Notice our four defensive line starters gone from last year? Four outstanding players from last year, gone? what's our weakest spot this year? And I think everyone knows that it took T.O. 21 years to win a NC, captain obvious. just sayin

wow i love how everyone hates the coaches now, notice our defensive line coach only one gone from last year... Whats r weakest spot this year? defensive line maybe?

i dont kno if u guys relize it took osborne 21 years for a national title

just sayin....

He played Clemson. Miami, Florida St for the NC and none of those were blow outs. and probably would have won the NC in 82 if Penn St didn't use there own Linesman to call a ball that was out of bound by 3 yards good.

His Worse season was 9-3-1

Did'nt think much of those coaches last year either just saying...

Ummmm.... it IS the coaching staff's fault we're in this situation. This team has talent, that can't be denied. So why aren't they producing on the field? The coaches, obviously. There is something wrong with this program that is leading to this horrible performance on the field.

I have yet to see one single bit of compelling evidence that anyone OTHER THAN the coaches are to blame for this horrendous season. If anyone has some, I'd love to see it.

Here's the risk I see in a lot of posts and theories about the current state of NU.

Most posters / fans are convinced that the players have talent -- where is the proof in this? Strong recruiting class rankings? Rivals 100 and their kind are not measured objectively for any sort of accuracy -- they are in the (big) business of selling and providing information that is subjective at best. Has anyone ever seen an objective analysis of the top 25 recruiting classes and correlations to wins, BCS bowls and NCs? I have not.

Is "the players have talent" true because the radio play by play guys says so?

My point is that while the coaching staff can take blame, it might also be true that the current roster of players is not as good as some would believe. And the risk comes in turning over an entire coaching staff only to see marginal results again. Say Pellini does come to town, brings his own staff and then NU proceeds to go 7-5 or so and finishes 2nd in the North next year, then what? This is entirely possible (i.e how many thought NU would be 4-4 right now) and could lead folks to re-think their belief in the current talent level at NU. That said, it is much easier to run coaches out of town and boo them than direct frustration toward 19 to 22 year old kids who are just playing a game.

All I'm saying; is their compelling evidence that these players are really all that good?

You know, I don't like Clownahan. However, what do you want him to say because I'm sure Gabbert asked about his situation next year? Do you want this staff to lie just to get him to commit? I'd rather have them tell him the truth which it seems they did. There is a pretty good chance this staff won't be here next year. Why lie to guys they have been recruiting?