T.O. and the players

From the LJS blog:

If there was any wonder at how 70-year-old Tom Osborne relates to the modern athlete, apparently he does it pretty well.

Such was the impression gained from talking to some Huskers about what it's like having Osborne around.

On Saturday, after the 76-39 loss to Kansas, senior safety Bryan Wilson said Osborne came by and told him it's all right, keep your head up.

"I couldn't even look him in the eye when he said that," Wilson said. "I looked up at him and I just broke down into tears after I looked at him, just because the way we lost and the way we've been playing the past five weeks, it's just tough on everybody."

Wilson said he really enjoys seeing Osborne around the program.

"It's always great seeing legends. I can tell my kids 10, 15 years from now, I interacted with a legend on a daily basis," Wilson said.

"He's an open person. He's a fun-loving person. He'll always greet you with a smile and a handshake and he's not one of those intimidating guys where you see him standing there and he's like the eye in the sky. He's just a guy who loves football, being around people. There's something genuine about him that you just feel. You can't explain it, but it's just there."

Husker senior receiver Maurice Purify was asked for his impressions of Osborne.

"I get like mixed impressions with him," Purify said. "He's a fire-up guy, but he doesn't talk loud, so it's hard to get fired up when he's talking. But what he says, his words are strong."

TO just has a way with people. When I was 3 years old, my mom took my brother and I to walk through Memorial Stadium when that was still allowed. TO came into the stadium. I really don't remember it, but my mom claims he winked at her and came over and shook both my brother's and my hand. It left quite an impression (not for me because I was 3 and don't remember it). He just has an amazing way with people.

I think the thing about Tom Osborne that I can relate to is he's the kind of guy you hope you can be someday. He's completely honest, completely genuine, a strong leader. He doesn't have to talk loudly because his actions have always spoken for him. He enters a situation, gets the job done, has no ego to speak of, and because of his gentle demeanor people want to be around him.

He's an incredible man, and I'm so glad he's back as a part of our program.

X

I remember back in 1986 I was working as a bus boy at Johnny's Cafe and was asked to bring some ice water to a table but "please don't gawk", I brought up the water and to my amazement sitting at the table were Tom and Nancy Osborne. Tom had a big smile on his face and said hello. I exclaimed how I thought he was a great coach and I knew someday he'd win the National Championship, (The 1984 Orange bowl was still fresh in my mind). Tom Osborne kind of gulped, smiled and said, "Well, thank you." Nancy Osborne seemed to be very proud of Tom there too. I just remember him having an aura around him. I can only imagine what it must be like to be around a great/positive figure like Tom Osborne all the time.

I recall, when at school in Lincoln, I was going to get a student ticket validated. TO walked around the corner, I before I could say a word he greeted me like I was someone he worked with every day. I could barely say a word, it was a neat experience. His presence is very large.

Yeah! Isn't that weird? When I bumped into him a few weeks ago (a week before he was named AD) he asked me, "How have you been?" It was such a strange question that I wasn't sure if it was a cover just in case he *did* know me (from a class or something), but it was just so familiar... heh...

The only time I ever "met" T.O. was at Meridian Park. He and Nancy pulled up to the stall next to mine. We both got out of our cars and I looked over and there he was, and he was looking at me like, "Are you going to freak out or are we going to be cool about this?"

I just said something lame like, "Hi, Coach!" He smiled and he and Nancy both said, "Hi."

That's about it.

Pretty lame "brush with greatness," huh?

The author of "Meat Market" was on ESPN this morning and was talking about how programs that dominated in the 90's (e.g. FSU) can't really capitalize in the recruiting arena now because high school kids don't know anything about the 90's.

I think it's a definite advantage that TO doesn't have to depend on his coaching legacy to earn respect. He's a genuinely great person who should be able to help us keep some continuity in recruiting by relating well to some of these recruits.

I've never met him before and I don't know what I would say if I did happen to meet him. I mean what do you say??? "Hey coach how's it hanging?!" I would just sit there and probably stare! :lol:

I said, "Excuse me, Coach Osborne, hi." I didn't know which title to use, though I thought, "S'up, T Dog" would have been wildly inappropriate.

I've never met him before and I don't know what I would say if I did happen to meet him. I mean what do you say??? "Hey coach how's it hanging?!" I would just sit there and probably stare! :lol:

I said, "Excuse me, Coach Osborne, hi." I didn't know which title to use, though I thought, "S'up, T Dog" would have been wildly inappropriate.

FYI. Snoop, 'Dre and I ran into TO in LA last year for the USC game and T Dog actually works just as well as coach.

Yeah I doubt he would have known what the hell you were talking about. :lol:

Foshnizzle!

Foshnizzle!

now if you said that to him, tom osborne would have slapped you and said, "language! there are women-folk here!"