At least according to this. If that happens, Les Miles could quite possibly leave for Michigan leaving Pelini (BOGASM ALERT!!) without a job.

Disclaimer: This is a fan blog so take it FWIW

Lloyd Carr article

November 12, 2007

Lloyd Carr to announce retirement

Brian at MGoBlog has the inside beat on Lloyd Carr announcing his retirement.

Three separate sources indicate that Carr has made his decision to retire official and people around the athletic department are being told. The formal announcement will come after the Ohio State game, possibly at the Monday press conference, possibly a day or two later.

Although Brian generally has some pretty good sources, I'm not sure I would post this normally without a second source; however, there certainly are indications that something is going on at Michigan. The moderators at Rivals member site TheWolverine.com are deleting threads left and right about the Carr resignation, but have conceded that they are working on the story.

From my perspective, it sounds to me as if Michigan is trying to "manage the news cycle" and put the word out in a manner and at a time as they deem fit. I can't argue with that, as Coach Carr has definitely earned that at Michigan.

So... putting two and two together... it appears that Lloyd Carr will announce his retirement.

Which begs the question... who will be the next head coach at Michigan?

We asked the question last month in the wake of the Les Miles to Michigan rumors.

As many know, Les Miles is a Michigan man. He played there, he coached there, and many believe his heart is at Michigan.

So, if the position came upon after this season, would Les Miles be interested? Well, he isn't saying no.

I don't want you to take the fast, hard line. I want you to hear me out. I am indebted to that school and those people. Not Lloyd or the president there. But the tremendous memory of Bo Schembechler, and the quality that I was exposed to both academically and in football at the school. So I cannot in any way change that view. That's an honesty. I can't tell you my appreciation. My wife, my first born, my entire life is marked by my time at Michigan. Yet, I'm in a wonderful place here. I've got a great team. If I lose or have any distraction to that fact, that I would spend fun time, my time on something else like the view of that, would be a mistake. It would be a mistake and I really can't.

When I was a young coach, I had a school call me. It was so distracting. I did everything that I was supposed to do, but it affected me. Things like this really have no day-to-day change in the way I do things. I woke up at 4 a.m. today and I'm daydreaming, I'm not thinking about anything else but how to make this football team better. That to me is the right feel. I have great confidence in Michigan and they have a great staff there and they're going to do great things this year. I have no designs and nor has it ever been displayed to me that I'm the next guy, by anybody. I have given little or no thought to things that are not imminent. I really don't want to spend any more time talking about another program.

Lloyd Carr won a national championship and that staff is as quality as there is. I fully support what they're doing there.

As I said at the time, this was Miles showing interest... respectfully. Since those comments, there's been very little written about Miles statement, but he hasn't backed away from it at all.

Miles has a $1.25 million buyout if he leaves LSU for Michigan (compared to a $500,000 buyout if he leaves for another job).

Can Michigan afford $1.25 million plus his coach's salary? In a heartbeat. Chump-change to the Maize-n-Blue. The only question is... does Miles want the job?

If this all becomes reality then i guess you could pretty much say that Turner Gill will be our next HC but of course this is all speculation anyways.

Why? I would think this would enhance our chances with Bo (if that is the direction TO decides to go, if indeed makes any move at all) since I doubt he would be on the short list to take over for Miles if he leaves.

I think this would be terrible for our chances to get Pelini. I read in an article that LSU's AD was asked about the rumors regarding Les Miles possibly going to Michigan and he said that they would have a nice banquet for Miles if he left and then say hello to Bo Pelini. So if Miles leaves LSU you have to think Pelini would take that job over the NU job.

I think this would be terrible for our chances to get Pelini. I read in an article that LSU's AD was asked about the rumors regarding Les Miles possibly going to Michigan and he said that they would have a nice banquet for Miles if he left and then say hello to Bo Pelini. So if Miles leaves LSU you have to think Pelini would take that job over the NU job.

FWIW...Pelini's wife doesn't care much for Baton Rouge. She loves Lincoln and would jump at the chance to move back if it worked out her husband were to be HC. :)

There's too many IFs in this scenario to even begin sorting it out. If Carr does resign and if Miles does wind up in Michigan and if Pelini is offered the job at LSU and if he takes it then Nebraska would probably not be seeing him as our HC any time soon.

If given the chance between LSU and Nebraska, I don't know enough about the man to say one way or the other. Nebraska is a more storied school. Several people have mentioned that his family really enjoyed Lincoln. He'd get an opportunity to work in close proximity with Tom Osborne as well. There's a lot Nebraska can offer.

That and if you believe the rumors he's practically already our coach––we're just waiting on the press conference.

X

...Miles has a $1.25 million buyout if he leaves LSU for Michigan (compared to a $500,000 buyout if he leaves for another job).

Can Michigan afford $1.25 million plus his coach's salary? In a heartbeat. Chump-change to the Maize-n-Blue. The only question is... does Miles want the job?

How in the Wide World of Sports would he sign a contract that penalized him more for going to Mechicken (Or even LSU penalizing him more for UM than a conference rival)?

If BP choices come down to LSU or NU then I think we have an advantage in the fact the SEC is really strong and looks like it will be that way for a while. The Big 12 (especially the North) is a much easier path to the MNC. He could easily win the North title next year, and possibly the Big 12. The SEC would not be as easy, LSU didn't lock the SEC East until last weekend.

If BP choices come down to LSU or NU then I think we have an advantage in the fact the SEC is really strong and looks like it will be that way for a while. The Big 12 (especially the North) is a much easier path to the MNC. He could easily win the North title next year, and possibly the Big 12. The SEC would not be as easy, LSU didn't lock the SEC East until last weekend.

i still think that the sec is not as strong as people think, even espn analysts are starting to agree. but that is a topic for another thread.

FWIW...Pelini's wife doesn't care much for Baton Rouge. She loves Lincoln and would jump at the chance to move back if it worked out her husband were to be HC. :)

Yeah, that's what I heard. Hope she has a say in his decision.

The SEC may be hard, but LSU is already on top. They're the #1 team in the country. Why would he want to come here and have to somewhat rebuild Nebraska when he could inherit a #1 team? IMO, if the choice comes down between LSU and NU; he'd be a fool to leave Baton Rouge.