Keep Callahan; revamp the staff.

I am consistently amazed that the blind Callahan supporters do not recognize a man who has no idea what being a Husker is all about.

Think of the level of alienation our past great players and coaches are feeling towards this program under Callahan's rule. This is all Callahan's doing, and you want to give him more time? Why?

secretasianman, every single thing you said could be said about any other coach in the nation. All you did was prove there is nothing special about Bill Callahan. Do you even realize that?

So you want to give him another year or two? Why? So he can drive even more longtime supporters away? So he can destroy even more records? So he can set Nebraska football even further behind?

I really, really don't get all the love for Bill Callahan. What has he added to this program? What?

Can anyone tell me that?

That was under Pedersons rule that these restrictions with past players and staff come about.

Good post...... I stated something similar a few weeks ago, but didn't get much response...... I honeslty could live with the scenario you laid out.....

Very good points on To and second chances.....

I really believe that BC could have saved his own job by firing Coz' mid-way through the season..... If BC would have made that move, I think most fans would have given him the benefit of the doubt, knowing that he was willing ot make sacrifices for the betterment of the team...

At this point, I believe it is too late... BC has far removed himself from the program and TO..... I am not exctied about firing a coach, nor do I look forwar to the possibility of "rebuilding" for another 3-4 years, nly to hold our breath to see if we go through all of this stuff again...

To me, the writing is on the wall, and has been.....not by rumors, but by TO's actions....if he was honestly considering keeping BC, TO would not have let soem of the big -time recruits just "walk-away".....I know recruiting may be over-hyped in some of your opinions, but you just don't let a top 3 QB, top-teir RB and top-teir LB walk without making an effort....especially when 2 will end up at a rival school....

I agree wit your post and everything in it, but I just think that it's too late for this too happen.

Ya, I could see TO bringing him back IF Billy C did not act like an ass to TO and to the media. I said it before. There are too many bridges that have been burned between BC and TO, BC and the Fans, the Fans and BC. His offense does work but he is too bull-headed to change any of his coaches and that is going to be his downfall. His buddy coz took him down, I believe if Coz wasn't here Nebraska would be 6-5 now maybe 7-4. The D just ruined his chances this year to compete and then he wouldn't admit that the problems were with his defensive staff. Just my opinion though...

If cosgrove could just put out a CONSISTANT defense we'd be in a lot better shape. Crikes..if they played the way the did in the first half of the USC game we'd probably be unbeaten right now!!

But you can't expect the offense to carry the team alone forever. Calahan could have avoided all of this by being on top of the D. He let Cosgrove run it alone though. You see the result.

Anyway, keeping Cally and canning Cos is ONE potential decision I can see TO making. I think the most likely is regime change though.

In Tom Osborne's books, he talks about how society today is too quick to judge, expects instant results, demands perfection and lacks forgiveness. I think that it is important to remember those things as we look at Bill Callahan.

I feel that Callahan should revamp his staff and be given another 1-2 years. The stark defect of this year's team has been the defense--plays, effort and schemes. Imagine this season if we had a better defense. When your defense gives up points, and the offense has to play from behind, it limits your playbook and changes the gameplan, and the mindset of the players. It's not easy to be under that pressure and have a successful offense. With a better defense, I think 3 of the losses could have been wins.

I think about the Solich era, and how under Craig Bohl, the defense was mediocre, but with Pelini, they shined. Solich was not a motivator, but Pelini fired up that defense. In one year, that defense was transformed!! Perhaps Callahan should be afforded that opportunity. A revamped defensive staff could work wonders. Coaches always seem to hire who they know, and he probably thought that his selections were good coaches that could do well here. Do we fire a guy for an oversight, or mistake that can be corrected? Most people hated Charlie McBride until the mid 90s. Heck, alot of people hated Osborne for that matter until the mid 90s.

Osborne's offense had evolved throughout his coaching career. Callahan should be given that same opportunity. With Ganz controlling the offense, we're seeing that perhaps a mobile QB, rather than the "pocket NFL QB" is a better fit for this scheme. Maybe Callahan will target mobile QB's for the future.

It's true that he hasn't made the best playcalling decisions, but it's so easy to be the Monday morning QB. If most of his trick plays had worked, he'd be called an genius! Maybe he isn't the best playcaller, but you have to remember, it's easy to criticize after the fact. Just as Solich was given an opportunity to have an offensive coordinator, perhaps Callahan would benefit from utilizing Watson more, or with new ideas from a new offensive coach-- maybe Callahan and staff could develop an even more dynamic offense and better play selection. Simple things like more two-back sets, or utilizing the mobile QB could really intensify the running game. This offense can work well, and this staff has recruited playmakers on offense.

Now, the gray area. I think that we look at Callahan's actions and statements and try to over-analyze everything towards what he "really meant" or what he's really saying. The guy just simply can't win around here. He accredits some of Joe Ganz's success to being a product of the system-- and everybody calls Callahan an arrogant s.o.b. for taking the credit. Well, last I checked, Ganz didn't teach himself everything that he showed the last 2 Saturdays.

Callahan is never given the benefit of the doubt in the "gray areas"-- like walking off the field at KU and "snubbing Osborne"-- he honestly may not have seen Osborne, yet a news station makes it "breaking news". The erasing of tradition like walk-ons, and the pictures of the All-Americans, ex players being allowed to visit-- cannot be entirely attributed to Callahan. It's probably all Pedersen, yet Callahan doesn't catch a break in that regard. The way Callahan runs his program was definitely guided by Pedersen. With Osborne in charge, maybe he can help Callahan understand the tradition better and reintroduce it. If Pedersen wanted it erased, why do we expect Callahan to uphold it?

The bottom line here is that he's only had 4 years. Until this year, things have been progressing each year. With a better defense, we could have been 8-3 at this point possibly. Because things progressed each year, perhaps the call for change by Callahan himself didn't exist. Maybe now, if given the chance, he'd revamp his staff/schemes and we'd see some change. He probably realizes now that he needs to make changes to succeed. Look at when Osborne started to recruit speed and when they junked the 5-2 for the 4-3-- huge results from those changes. The success of the 90s was from changes on the defensive side of the ball. Why shouldn't Callahan be afforded that opportunity?

Funny how Osborne is revered, yet if you look at his total bowl record, or his total record vs ranked teams-- it would surprise you.

In his book "On Solid Ground", Osborne writes, "what each of us does with a second chance is up to us." I think we need to be more patient and forgiving with Callahan.

Ok, I respect your opinion but BC needs to go. He doesn't belong in the college game, he needs to stay in the NFL where he belongs. Did you listen to his comments today on his teleconfernce? He was actually taking credit for the remarkable game that Joe Ganz played. He stated that it was HIS system that created Ganz, it was HIS "brillant" coaching that was the reason why Ganz had a great game. Give me a break he was posturing to get another job in the NFL today and it was making me sick!! This is why this piece of crap needs to be fired right now because all he cares about is himself, and his money. No way in HELL does he get another year. We need a coach, that when the defense is ranked 119th in rush defense, will get rid of the defense coordinator for doing a horrific job and not keep him on staff just because they are "pals"!! With BC its all about him period.

In Tom Osborne's books, he talks about how society today is too quick to judge, expects instant results, demands perfection and lacks forgiveness. I think that it is important to remember those things as we look at Bill Callahan.

I feel that Callahan should revamp his staff and be given another 1-2 years. The stark defect of this year's team has been the defense--plays, effort and schemes. Imagine this season if we had a better defense. When your defense gives up points, and the offense has to play from behind, it limits your playbook and changes the gameplan, and the mindset of the players. It's not easy to be under that pressure and have a successful offense. With a better defense, I think 3 of the losses could have been wins.

I think about the Solich era, and how under Craig Bohl, the defense was mediocre, but with Pelini, they shined. Solich was not a motivator, but Pelini fired up that defense. In one year, that defense was transformed!! Perhaps Callahan should be afforded that opportunity. A revamped defensive staff could work wonders. Coaches always seem to hire who they know, and he probably thought that his selections were good coaches that could do well here. Do we fire a guy for an oversight, or mistake that can be corrected? Most people hated Charlie McBride until the mid 90s. Heck, alot of people hated Osborne for that matter until the mid 90s.

Osborne's offense had evolved throughout his coaching career. Callahan should be given that same opportunity. With Ganz controlling the offense, we're seeing that perhaps a mobile QB, rather than the "pocket NFL QB" is a better fit for this scheme. Maybe Callahan will target mobile QB's for the future.

It's true that he hasn't made the best playcalling decisions, but it's so easy to be the Monday morning QB. If most of his trick plays had worked, he'd be called an genius! Maybe he isn't the best playcaller, but you have to remember, it's easy to criticize after the fact. Just as Solich was given an opportunity to have an offensive coordinator, perhaps Callahan would benefit from utilizing Watson more, or with new ideas from a new offensive coach-- maybe Callahan and staff could develop an even more dynamic offense and better play selection. Simple things like more two-back sets, or utilizing the mobile QB could really intensify the running game. This offense can work well, and this staff has recruited playmakers on offense.

Now, the gray area. I think that we look at Callahan's actions and statements and try to over-analyze everything towards what he "really meant" or what he's really saying. The guy just simply can't win around here. He accredits some of Joe Ganz's success to being a product of the system-- and everybody calls Callahan an arrogant s.o.b. for taking the credit. Well, last I checked, Ganz didn't teach himself everything that he showed the last 2 Saturdays.

Callahan is never given the benefit of the doubt in the "gray areas"-- like walking off the field at KU and "snubbing Osborne"-- he honestly may not have seen Osborne, yet a news station makes it "breaking news". The erasing of tradition like walk-ons, and the pictures of the All-Americans, ex players being allowed to visit-- cannot be entirely attributed to Callahan. It's probably all Pedersen, yet Callahan doesn't catch a break in that regard. The way Callahan runs his program was definitely guided by Pedersen. With Osborne in charge, maybe he can help Callahan understand the tradition better and reintroduce it. If Pedersen wanted it erased, why do we expect Callahan to uphold it?

The bottom line here is that he's only had 4 years. Until this year, things have been progressing each year. With a better defense, we could have been 8-3 at this point possibly. Because things progressed each year, perhaps the call for change by Callahan himself didn't exist. Maybe now, if given the chance, he'd revamp his staff/schemes and we'd see some change. He probably realizes now that he needs to make changes to succeed. Look at when Osborne started to recruit speed and when they junked the 5-2 for the 4-3-- huge results from those changes. The success of the 90s was from changes on the defensive side of the ball. Why shouldn't Callahan be afforded that opportunity?

Funny how Osborne is revered, yet if you look at his total bowl record, or his total record vs ranked teams-- it would surprise you.

In his book "On Solid Ground", Osborne writes, "what each of us does with a second chance is up to us." I think we need to be more patient and forgiving with Callahan.

If Callahan had shown more respect for the Husker traditions, and had shown the guts to remove Cosgrove when it became apparent that the defense had fallen apart, maybe. Callahan does not think his staff has done anything wrong, just that the players are not executing well. I am glad he is going, the sooner the better, and he can take Cosgrove with him.

:box:box:box:box:box:box:box

dedhoarsededhoarse:bang:bang:bang:bang

Ok, I respect your opinion but BC needs to go. He doesn't belong in the college game, he needs to stay in the NFL where he belongs. Did you listen to his comments today on his teleconfernce? He was actually taking credit for the remarkable game that Joe Ganz played. He stated that it was HIS system that created Ganz, it was HIS "brillant" coaching that was the reason why Ganz had a great game. Give me a break he was posturing to get another job in the NFL today and it was making me sick!! This is why this piece of crap needs to be fired right now because all he cares about is himself, and his money. No way in HELL does he get another year. We need a coach, that when the defense is ranked 119th in rush defense, will get rid of the defense coordinator for doing a horrific job and not keep him on staff just because they are "pals"!! With BC its all about him period.

After all the pounding he has taken in the last fwe weeks that they have not been able to coach the talent that is on this team, I cannot really blame him for trying to put up a counter-arguement based on Ganz's performance over the last couple of games.

He could have stated his case better...you know, Ganz is a grea kid, has dedicated his time over the last couple of year to learn and understand the system. His work ethic and work with the coaching staff and paid off and the results speak for themselves...you know, good coachspeak like this... :)

I totally agree. Zero half time adjustments. NFL style practices have made this team soft. That and sitting on a lead until the other team defeats you????

He can go back to the pros in some capacity.

Probably a great guy. Just not the guy for THIS job IMO.

I am consistently amazed that the blind Callahan supporters do not recognize a man who has no idea what being a Husker is all about.

Think of the level of alienation our past great players and coaches are feeling towards this program under Callahan's rule. This is all Callahan's doing, and you want to give him more time? Why?

secretasianman, every single thing you said could be said about any other coach in the nation. All you did was prove there is nothing special about Bill Callahan. Do you even realize that?

So you want to give him another year or two? Why? So he can drive even more longtime supporters away? So he can destroy even more records? So he can set Nebraska football even further behind?

I really, really don't get all the love for Bill Callahan. What has he added to this program? What?

Can anyone tell me that?

Not only that - but I just heard that Ronell (sp?) Grixby's scholarship to NU has been dropped. A legacy player on one of the teams in the state championship game, a very good player in his own right. Word is Courtney was furious about this, and rightly so. Remember the Missouri player that had had an older brother at NU? Walk on program gone, legacy players ignored or worse. What more do we want to let this man do to Nebraska traditions?

:madash:bangdedhoarse

Can anyone tell me that?

Any "outsider" coach that is hired would have no idea what being a Husker is all about unless it is taught.

You don't know if the alienation of past coaches/players and the dismantling of tradition is because of Pedersen, Callahan or both. My OPINION is that is was Pedersen.

After four years, what did Osborne do for Nebraska? What did he add to the program?

It's too quick to decide entirely what Callahan has added to the program. He has to be given some credit for totally revamping the offense with playmakers---who could've made a bigger impact with a more effective defense.

The point of my post is that we shouldn't be so quick to hang somebody. Things aren't going well, and I see so many people just saying "fire them all", without recognizing some of the positives. The big problem has been the defense.

To me, starting over with an entirely new staff vs. allowing Callahan to revamp his staff has the same risk factor.

Can anyone tell me that?

That was under Pedersons rule that these restrictions with past players and staff come about.

So you're saying Callahan will embrace past Huskers now that Pederson is gone? What has Callahan done to make you believe that?

I used to agree with you, until I realized what kind of person Callahan is. Get him out of here and bring in someone who isnt an arrogant ass. If Callahan actually gave a sh#t he would have made changes a long time ago to his coaching staff. He has had his chance, now GTFO.

:yeah

Ummm... NO!!