I did a bit of research and just scratched the surface on the following...

Here are the recent BCS champions with their total offense rank and defense rank for their championship years in parentheses (offense rank / defense rank); I also put the yearly Nebraska numbers in for good measure:

2006 Florida (19th in total offense / 6th in total defense) Nebraska (14th / 56th)

2005 Texas (3rd / 10th) Nebraska (96th / 26th)

2004 USC (12th / 6th) Nebraska (69th / 56th)

2003 LSU (31st / 1st) Nebraska (83rd / 11th w/Pelini)

2002 Ohio State (70th / 23rd) Nebraska (61st / 55th)

2001 Miami (8th / 6th) Nebraska (12th / 8th)

2000 Oklahoma (18th / 8th) Nebraska (6th / 26th)

In nearly every instance the BCS champion had a higher ranked defense than offense (exception of Texas in 2005 but they still had a Top 10 Defense). In fact, you can argue that it is essential to have a Top 10 defense to win the BCS (all teams listed above do with exception of Ohio State in 2002). The last time we had a Top 10 defense we at least reached the championship game in 2001. I think we need Pelini so we can regularly have a Top 10 defense. We need to yearly have a Top 10 defense with a top 25 offense. That is very achievable and that will bring us back to the promised land.

I don't expect Oregon or Missouri to win the BCS...both have great offenses but lack defenses. If the formula above holds form again this year the BCS champion will likely be LSU, Oklahoma, Kansas, or West Virginia (all these teams have top ranked defenses with offenses that are good enough to win it all).

BRING BACK BO!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

It is 4 a.m. do you know where your children are?

Where is it written that because BP is head coach you will have a top 10 defense? Also, where does it say, if you have a great offensive mind as HC you will have a poor defense?

Everyone wants BP because they think we will hold all opponents to 10 points or less and how hard can it be to score 10 or more per game. Let's hire Bo Pelini and start making plans for the National Championship party we will inevitably have to throw.

Where is it written that because BP is head coach you will have a top 10 defense? Also, where does it say, if you have a great offensive mind as HC you will have a poor defense?

Everyone wants BP because they think we will hold all opponents to 10 points or less and how hard can it be to score 10 or more per game. Let's hire Bo Pelini and start making plans for the National Championship party we will inevitably have to throw.

Your opinion.

What about scoring defense? The point is to not allow the opponent to score? The OSU team was good on scoring defense. Why do you just go back to 2000? What about FSU in 1999, when NU had a better defense, yet didn't make the title game, and so did Va Tech statistically? 1998? Tennessee won that year, and what about 1997, NU/UM? Why only back to 2000? Because FSU, Florida Nebraska title teams all had high powered offenses! You don't need a defensive minded HC to play great defense! The only thing Pelini has over the other coordinators is that he coached at NU for one season. Other than that he doesn't fit the NU mold of integrity that TO had over the years. He is more of an unseemly character that goes against the Big Red mold. Hire him and watch the program stay mediocre! You might say you can't bring back the 90's but look at what USC and Texas are doing, and OU, they are all winning 9-11 games a year! So do not let folks lower your expectations when Bo arrives! by the way Bo's defense is still not good vs option/spread option teams! The three losses in 03 were BIG and to athletic QBs!

I think on The Spread yesterday Double Nickel mentioned this. I don't know if there are stats to back it up but supposedly when the offense is very cerebral (great offensive mind) your defense will follow suit. You can see it in our defense this year, ie no direction, no smash-mouth hitting, thinking rather than reacting. I'm sure if you analyze Notre Dame this year (and last) you'll find the same thing.

What about scoring defense? The point is to not allow the opponent to score? The OSU team was good on scoring defense. Why do you just go back to 2000? What about FSU in 1999, when NU had a better defense, yet didn't make the title game, and so did Va Tech statistically? 1998? Tennessee won that year, and what about 1997, NU/UM? Why only back to 2000? Because FSU, Florida Nebraska title teams all had high powered offenses! You don't need a defensive minded HC to play great defense! The only thing Pelini has over the other coordinators is that he coached at NU for one season. Other than that he doesn't fit the NU mold of integrity that TO had over the years. He is more of an unseemly character that goes against the Big Red mold. Hire him and watch the program stay mediocre! You might say you can't bring back the 90's but look at what USC and Texas are doing, and OU, they are all winning 9-11 games a year! So do not let folks lower your expectations when Bo arrives! by the way Bo's defense is still not good vs option/spread option teams! The three losses in 03 were BIG and to athletic QBs!

I'm sure if you look at it, all of Nebraska's championship teams in the 90s (as well as Florida States, etc) had stout defenses.

You may be right in that hiring Pelini will not guarentee good D or that hiring a O minded coach will not guarentee a bad D. However you have to think that hiring Pelini will give us a better shot at having a good rather than hiring say a Paul Johnson, whoes Navy team just gave up 63 to North Texas, or a better chance than Turner Gill considering Buffaloe sits 75 in that nation in total D. So is it guarenteed we would have a great D, No, but it would be more likely.

I looked at the scoring defense statistics. It pretty much follows suit as to what I showed prior with the total defense categories. Here is how it looks (again with Nebraska shown also):

2006 Florida (23rd in scoring offense / 6th in scoring defense) Nebraska (17th / 24th)

2005 Texas (1st / 8th) Nebraska (67th / 25th)

2004 USC (6th / 3rd) Nebraska (58th / 71st)

2003 LSU (19th / 1st) Nebraska (74th / 2nd w/Pelini)

2002 Ohio State (41st / 2nd) Nebraska (59th / 45th)

2001 Miami (3rd / 1st) Nebraska (7th / 6th)

2000 Oklahoma (7th / 7th) Nebraska (4th / 26th)

1999 Florida St. (4th / 10th) Nebraska 12th / 3rd)

I only went back to 1999 as that is how far the NCAA website has archived back to (others feel free to knock yourself out with more research). Not one BCS champion above has had less than a Top 10 scoring defense! We are not guaranteed this with Pelini but I think he is obviously the number one guy out there if you want to create a top defense year in and year out. This can be done at Nebraska and will be foundation for many great bowl games to come and gives us best chance to play for BCS title. Of course it is not going to hold to form every year but I think we all want consistency with our team where every year we have a chance to win the Big 12 and beyond. We should never be out of the top 25 again!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

I don't know where you get off saying that having Pelini will make us stay mediocre. I think that you are so traumatized by the current/soon to be former administration, that you just can't trust anybody to take over the reins, unless it's Tom Osborne himself. Pelini has probably been one of the best assistants out there since his stint here in '03. Mike Stoops got a job. Gene Chizik got a job. Those guys started at horrid schools. If you give Bo the talent we have vs. the talent Stoops and Chizik got, even what Mangino has, you can be assured of at least 8-10 wins.

I don't know where you get off saying that having Pelini will make us stay mediocre. I think that you are so traumatized by the current/soon to be former administration, that you just can't trust anybody to take over the reins, unless it's Tom Osborne himself. Pelini has probably been one of the best assistants out there since his stint here in '03. Mike Stoops got a job. Gene Chizik got a job. Those guys started at horrid schools. If you give Bo the talent we have vs. the talent Stoops and Chizik got, even what Mangino has, you can be assured of at least 8-10 wins.

Chizik is probably a bad example if you want to make a case for Pelini. Iowa State has less wins this year (3) than last year (4) and will probably end that way as their only game left is Kansas. And it's not as if the talent cupboard was bare: he returned a QB starting for his 4th year and his top WR (Although I will give you that he only had 10 returning starters). However, ISU lost to Kent State and Toledo---in comparison, Buffalo beat Toledo and will likely beat Kent State in 2 weeks as KSU only has one MAC win this season. I don't think anyone would argue that Iowa State has less talent than Buffalo. Stoops also has not done the best job at Arizona, so to say the best approach would be to hire a DC probably doesn't hold up. It differs in every situation and with every coach. Based on the records of the two guys you mentioned, I would not say that we could "be assured of at least 8-10 wins" with Pelini.

Even Charlie McBride struggled against athletic QB's. Every defense struggles against spread options and athletic QB's. The reason teams run the spread is to neutralize the defense. Go ask Pete Carroll if it's easy containing athletic QB's like Vince Young. Not many teams ever contained Michael Vick. Athletic QB's have always posed problems for some of the best defensive minds in the game.

Chizik is probably a bad example if you want to make a case for Pelini. Iowa State has less wins this year (3) than last year (4) and will probably end that way as their only game left is Kansas. And it's not as if the talent cupboard was bare: he returned a QB starting for his 4th year and his top WR (Although I will give you that he only had 10 returning starters). However, ISU lost to Kent State and Toledo---in comparison, Buffalo beat Toledo and will likely beat Kent State in 2 weeks as KSU only has one MAC win this season. I don't think anyone would argue that Iowa State has less talent than Buffalo. Stoops also has not done the best job at Arizona, so to say the best approach would be to hire a DC probably doesn't hold up. It differs in every situation and with every coach. Based on the records of the two guys you mentioned, I would not say that we could "be assured of at least 8-10 wins" with Pelini.

Mangino had a worse record his first year at KU than the previous coach had the year before. It typically takes a year or two for players to buy into the new system. Iowa State has the 13th toughest schedule this year. Last year, Iowa State finished the season ranked 61st for SOS.

Even Charlie McBride struggled against athletic QB's. Every defense struggles against spread options and athletic QB's. The reason teams run the spread is to neutralize the defense. Go ask Pete Carroll if it's easy containing athletic QB's like Vince Young. Not many teams ever contained Michael Vick. Athletic QB's have always posed problems for some of the best defensive minds in the game.

Mangino had a worse record his first year at KU than the previous coach had the year before. It typically takes a year or two for players to buy into the new system. Iowa State has the 13th toughest schedule this year. Last year, Iowa State finished the season ranked 61st for SOS.

The only reason their schedule is ranked 13th is because they have to play Texas and Oklahoma, in addition to North teams like Kansas and Missouri. If, instead of playing both big powers Texas and OU, they were to play one of them and a team like Texas A&M or Oklahoma State, it is still unlikely they would get a win out of there. The only way I can see how this hurts them is if they got the chance to play Baylor instead of Texas/OU, as they would have a chance at beating Baylor. However, if you look at Iowa State's non-conference schedule, it's pretty pathetic. Toledo and Kent State (2 MAC teams, and pathetic MAC teams at that), along with I-AA Northern Iowa (who beat ISU) and then the rival game with offensively-inept Iowa. Again, I'm not saying Chizik is a bad coach, just that using him as a example of why a defensive guy like Pelini would immediately get us 8-10 wins.

I get what you're saying, but let's take a stroll down NU history lane. In 2003, we finished the year 10-3. BC strolls in in 2004 and we go 5-6. We gave him that year even though Pud promised us great things because it takes a year or two to get the new system in place and the players to make it work. If Iowa State is still winning 2-4 games in a year or two, then it's very debateable whether or not he's a good coach. I don't think too many people expect 8 to 10 wins next year here.