Osborne:

Of course the team should go to a Bowl if eligible and invited. Wouldnt be the first time the Huskers played & won a bowl game without a head coach. FLASHBACK.

I can only imagine, the Huskers rally a bowl game victory with an interim HC, such as Watson. Chants of "We Want Shawn!" "We Want Shawn!" echoing after a victory. And offensive linemen talking about how they would block wind and rain for Watson.

This is especially important considering Mizzou is on the schedule every year! :moreinteresting

Bottom Line..

He will be fired after the CU game.. IMO..

If TO had any thoughts of keeping BC, he would be rallying around BC and saying --hey fans this is our coach.. Bill is the coach and everyone should support him..

All that keeps being said is, we will evaluate.. etc..

Agreed...I believe that the decision has already been made. Cally is gone.

I think the way Callahan has been behaving lately and his agent behaved last week that he either has been told or somehow knows that after the CU game he is history.

He's trying hard to increase his stock by running up the score against KSU and saying how great his offense is. I think he is trying to sell his offensive abilities for a possible NFL offensive coordinator position.

Bottom Line..

If TO had any thoughts of keeping BC, he would be rallying around BC and saying --hey fans this is our coach.. Bill is the coach and everyone should support him..

That's it. They wouldn't even bothering to put out a release for clarification if the axe wasn't falling after Colorado.

I think this also says- there is a coach in the wings and they want to shore up the recruiting class ASAP...

Don't know about the coach.... If something was going on I think there would be stuff coming out of the programs of the people that we are lookng at.... Maybe they can keep a lid on it but who knows, look at when Peterson was canned the boards were going crazy the night before and there was talk all over the news, I would think the same would be happing now, just my thoughts......

however, with a 6-6 record.. would we get into a bowl game? the new rule requires all 7-5 teams to get invites before we do...

That's incorrect. I've posted this before.

I looked and couldn't find a new rule this year.

What I did find is a rule from last year that said a 6-6 team could not get a bowl your conference has a contract with instead of a team in your conference with a winning record. If your conference has enough spots, you get one.

And for at large games, such as those spots without a conference tie-in or free because a conference could not fill all of their spots, a 6-6 team cannot take it while there are uninvited teams from anywhere without a bowl. This is a tougher one to get.

A 7-5 Mountain West team is not going to keep a 6-6 Nebraska out of a Big 12 bowl, because of the first rule.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_even..._6and6rule.html

If you've found a more current rule, post a link to it. I don't believe it exists. If it does, the NCAA forgot to post any kind of press release on their site like they did the one I refer to.

What does this mean for Nebraska?

If the Big 12 gets a 2nd BCS game (almost a lock) OR KSU OR OSU lose their final two games, the NU-CU winner is guaranteed a bowl due to Big 12 bowl contracts. If none of those things happen, we're in contention with whoever else in the Big 12 finishes 6-6. One of them will be left out.

According to the LJS:

Clarification on Nebraska going to a bowl

If the Huskers win at Colorado, they will be going to a bowl.

Per Big 12 policy, the only way a school could turn down a bid would be if the conference provided more qualifiers than slots available. That's not going to happen this year.

Bottom Line..

That's it. They wouldn't even bothering to put out a release for clarification if the axe wasn't falling after Colorado.

I think this also says- there is a coach in the wings and they want to shore up the recruiting class ASAP...

I don't know that another coach is already waiting in the wings, especially now with the high possibility of Carr leaving Michigan. This affects a lot of teams that are or will be looking for a new coach because Les Miles likely would go to Michigan. Then the question is: who does LSU want? If they want Pelini, then that might affect Nebraska and/or Texas A&M. My guess is that nobody has agreed to the job yet.

however, with a 6-6 record.. would we get into a bowl game? the new rule requires all 7-5 teams to get invites before we do...

If we beat CU , and KSU loses to Mizzou and Fresno State we should beable to lock up the 8th place spot in the conference. That would get an automatic bid to the Texas Bowl.

If we lose to CU, we're out. If KSU beats Mizzou OR Fresno State, the best we can do is finish Tied for 9th with CU. Likelihood then is no bowl. Sorry.

So now the question is, Can Fresno State beat KSU at Fresno? I'm pretty sure the Kittens will be crying their eyes out when the Big Bad Tiggers go dancing back to Columbia.

Osborne: Coaching decision to come at end of regular season

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2007 - 01:22:27 pm CST

Tom Osborne made a significant clarification Tuesday.

In previous public statements, Nebraska’s interim athletic director said he will evaluate Husker football coach Bill Callahan and his staff “at the end of the season.”

Osborne means the end of the regular season as opposed to the bowl season, Randy York, NU associate athletic director for communications, said Tuesday.

Making that distinction became an issue Saturday when Nebraska ended a five-game losing streak with a 73-31 home win against Kansas State. The Huskers improved their record to 5-6, meaning a victory Nov. 23 at Colorado (also 5-6) would send the Big Red to a bowl game for the 38th time in the last 39 years.

The Colorado game ends Nebraska’s regular season. If the Huskers were to play in a bowl game, it wouldn’t occur until late December.

For the past several weeks, there has been constant speculation about Callahan’s future at Nebraska.

There also has been speculation about whether Nebraska would accept a bowl invitation if one is extended. Callahan on Monday deferred that question to “the higher-ups” in the Husker athletic department.

“If we beat Colorado, and therefore become bowl eligible, Coach Osborne thinks it would be great to go to a bowl game,” York said Tuesday. “The way he explained it to me is, if our players want to go, he would be delighted for them to get that opportunity.“

Nebraska’s 35-year bowl streak ended in 2004 — Callahan’s first season at NU — when the Huskers finished 5-6.

Likely bowl destinations, should Nebraska qualify, would be the Insight Bowl in Phoenix, the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., and the Texas Bowl in Houston.

Bottom Line..

You know what? You're absolutely right. If Callahan was staying, Osborne would surely have helped him out by giving him a show of support. He hasn't, though, even though Callahan desperately needs it. Someone of Osborne's high moral sense wouldn't leave leave Callahan out to dry so long. I don't know if Osborne even publicly congratulated the team after KSU. It seems as if Osborne is avoiding the coaching staff.

Now I'd have to say that Callahan is gone, especially after KSU. If he was staying, Osborne would have surely come to his aid. Don't you think?

In previous public statements, Nebraska’s interim athletic director said he will evaluate Husker football coach Bill Callahan and his staff “at the end of the season.”

Osborne means the end of the regular season as opposed to the bowl season, Randy York, NU associate athletic director for communications, said Tuesday.

Making that distinction became an issue Saturday when Nebraska ended a five-game losing streak with a 73-31 home win against Kansas State. The Huskers improved their record to 5-6, meaning a victory Nov. 23 at Colorado (also 5-6) would send the Big Red to a bowl game for the 38th time in the last 39 years.

The Colorado game ends Nebraska’s regular season. If the Huskers were to play in a bowl game, it wouldn’t occur until late December.

For the past several weeks, there has been constant speculation about Callahan’s future at Nebraska.

There also has been speculation about whether Nebraska would accept a bowl invitation if one is extended. Callahan on Monday deferred that question to “the higher-ups” in the Husker athletic department.

“If we beat Colorado, and therefore become bowl eligible, Coach Osborne thinks it would be great to go to a bowl game,” York said Tuesday. “The way he explained it to me is, if our players want to go, he would be delighted for them to get that opportunity.“

Nebraska’s 35-year bowl streak ended in 2004 — Callahan’s first season at NU — when the Huskers finished 5-6.

Likely bowl destinations, should Nebraska qualify, would be the Insight Bowl in Phoenix, the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., and the Texas Bowl in Houston.

Bottom Line..

You know what? You're absolutely right. If Callahan was staying, Osborne would surely have helped him out by giving him a show of support. He hasn't, though, even though Callahan desperately needs it. Someone of Osborne's high moral sense wouldn't leave leave Callahan out to dry so long. I don't know if Osborne even publicly congratulated the team after KSU. It seems as if Osborne is avoiding the coaching staff.

Now I'd have to say that Callahan is gone, especially after KSU. If he was staying, Osborne would have surely come to his aid. Don't you think?

Why does everyone speculate so much? Why would Osborne have to come to his aid? Callahan is the coach.

Im smart enough to figure that out without Osborne telling me.

If Osborne rallied around BC the suicide rate in Nebraska would jump 100%.

Bottom Line..

I would agree with that, since it makes more sense that if T.O. had any intention of keeping Callahan, he would say so now, that way Callahan could go out and recruit and maybe get some of the decommits to come back.

Bottom Line..

Why does everyone speculate so much? Why would Osborne have to come to his aid? Callahan is the coach.

Im smart enough to figure that out without Osborne telling me.

If Osborne rallied around BC the suicide rate in Nebraska would jump 100%.

I thought Freemason9 stopped coming back to this board. :bang

If we beat CU, I wouldn't be surprised if we got offered an invitation to a bowl game somewhere....the bowl committee knows that Husker fans will travel, and traveling fans spend money....and money is what it is all about, or we would have a playoff system.

I think it would be us and Iowa in one of the bowls because both schools travel so well.