If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Landlord

Mangino was given time. That's the only comparison I'm making.

An NU coach will never again get six years to see what he can/can't do. The revolving coaching door is about to start spinnning at NU.

Look at HC tenure for the last four coaches and tell me what the "trend" is. It's trending towards shorter HC coach tenures, not longer. Shorter generally means less stability. Solich got six years. Cally got four years. Will the next coach get three?

A few coaches have been able to turn schools around in a year or two. The huge majority don't. Patience is a virtue that's totally lacking at NU.

I get what you're saying. The main reason I can see that Callahan isn't being given more time is that he's just not a Husker. He is still a foreigner in these parts, and he's never attempted to acclimate himself here. There are a lot of things he could have done to reach out to the Husker community that he never attempted.

In the end I feel like Steve Pederson needed a Head Coach and Bill Callahan needed a job, and that's all there ever was or will be to the Bill Callahan Era here at Nebraska.

I was at the KSU game and loved it. But, Callahan's attitude did not change and he is not a guy that embraces tradition. He himself said he was gonna make his own tradition. Dare I say, Job Done?

He does not fit at Neb and his players do not play for him as a HC ANYWHERE. It looked like the players stepped up and played hard because of the last game in memorial stadium, senior day, Ganz's fire and determination, and some of the walk-ons played for the first time. This all added up to a good old fashion woopin on KSU.

His blaten disrespect twoard fans, the media and the "hireups" is not how we expect a coach at Neb to act. Callahan knows this and doesn't give a dam! At 5 ft nothing he really needed to learn respect the old fashion way when he was younger. It is prob a little late in life for that at this point.

That being said: I hold nothing against Callahan. I certainly can't gripe about him if I'm going to act like him. Also, I truely believe he did the best he could and I for one can not hold that against anyone ever. He didn't want things to end up like this. He just didn't get it done and is not right at Neb. I don't think he is HC material at all anywhere. It isn't due to lack of effort or knowlege. I think he works as hard or harder than most coaches and may have more knowlege of the x's and o's. But that is as far as his HC skills go. That is not really within his controll. So, I say good bye and do what you can to pick yourself up and learn respect. Good luck, just not here!

Complain?

more likely....

Rant, throw a fit, hold breath, jump off high places, beat the wives/children...

Personally, I think a head coach should get SIX years like Frank did.

My favorite example is Mangino-

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

If KU didn't wait SIX years, they never would have sniffed 10-0. Mangino's record SUCKED until year six.

But if a revolving door policy (four years or less) is going to be in place from now on..... I hope TO gets PJohnson for the next HC.

BEAT CU!!

Solich would have been 10-0 under Kansas Schedule even Callahan might have been 8-2.

Central Michigan 6-4 113. Central Mich. 10 775 4783 6.17 49 478.30

SE Louisiana 2-8 Not ranked?

Toledo 5-6 100. Toledo 10 711 4440 6.24 53 444.00

Florida International 0-9 99. Florida Int'l 9 644 3987 6.19 44 443.00

Kansas State 5-5 61. Kansas St. 10 720 3831 5.32 35 383.10

Baylor 3-8 106. Baylor 11 858 4994 5.82 48 454.00

Colorado 5-6 51. Colorado 11 752 4063 5.40 37 369.36

Texas A&M 6-5 88. Texas A&M 11 793 4635 5.84 36 421.36

Nebraska 5-6 112. Nebraska 11 860 5204 6.05 51 473.09

Oklahoma State 5-5 108. Oklahoma St. 10 754 4564 6.05 37 456.40

Total ------

Drum Roll please 42-62 117. Kansas (9-0) -0.344 SoS

I guess NU could schedule those teams and claim their back. To tired to look up their offensive stats.

PS. Anyone notice that the team that held Nebraska system offense scoreless for a half is rated 108 in total defense?

IMO, Clownahan would be back next year if we wouldn't have sustained a total beatdown at home to the likes of 5-5 Okie State. He'd be back if we wouldn't have sustained a loss to A&M or a total beatdown against KU. The reason he's fallen out of favor with the fans stems from the lackluster performance on the field against some lowly rated teams this year.

TO also hand-picked solich and handcuffed him with the requirement to keep the old staff.

He's not infallible.

TO also supposedly started to have his doubts about Solich being the next HC.

I've never heard this. What is your source? All I remember about it is that Osborne said he wished he'd have had a chance to get the 3 of them (Solich, Pederson, Osborne) in a room to talk about it, and he felt they could iron things out. I can't remember the exact quote.

My impression at the time is that what he meant was that he could pressure Pederson to give Solich another chance. I considered using the word "convince" instead of "pressure", but at the time I felt that Osborne seemed miffed that things didn't go his way for his protege and I really couldn't come up with another reason for Osborne to get involved other than to change the outcome. I felt Osborne was butting in where he didn't belong.

With more information now, I think Osborne knew there were bad communications problems with Pederson, and he felt they needed to be in a room long enough to talk things through (rather than passing notes under Solich's door), before Pederson should make his decision.

Back to the original question raised, I will complain at first because I think we're at a low and I don't think Callahan can get us out of it; then I will wait and see what happens next year, and pretty much trust that Osborne had good reasons for keeping Callahan. But if things stayed down next year, I'd definitely be questioning that decision.

Already this year I passed on opportunities to see 2 road games, though those were mainly due to spending more time with my daughter in her last year of high school than it was due to the state of Nebraska football. How hard I push to see Husker games in the future would be influenced by whether we continue having years like this one.

I think it's a moot point anyway. Change is coming.

I think his inability to coach FAR outweighs his potential.

I guess my question to the people thinking he deserves more time would be, when is enough enough? He's had two "good" recruiting classes and two "OK" recruiting classes, so allegedly talent should not be the issue.

He's had four years to acclimate himself to the college game/routine, so that should not be an issue.

He's had ample time to evaluate his coaching staff and make any changes where there are deficiencies, so staff should not be an issue.

But even with all that time and whatnot in his favor, his overall record is still barely above .500. He should have been much further along than he is now. He should be beyond correcting mistaken assumptions by now. He should be in a position of strength both from on-field play and recruiting. But he’s nowhere near those positions.

So what will happen to make the future Bill Callahan do a better job than the present Bill Callahan? Why would one more year make any difference?

I still say the Walk-on Program is the key to our success.

They were instrumental to getting the most output from scholarship athletes and also made direct contributions on the field as well...(Resulting in some kickass team unity and I read somewhere we had the highest number of former Huskers being NFL team captains).

It's easy to write off the "Kids of this Generation" having everything instantly handed to them..They've been saying that since we were owned by France...But I still run across great kids occasionally and believe with the right staff and some patience, we can return to "getting the most out of the least" and compete with the places that have better recruiting bases..Just like we almost always did since Bob.

Clone

TIME.

Mangino was given time. That's the only comparison I'm making.

An NU coach will never again get six years to see what he can/can't do. The revolving coaching door is about to start spinnning at NU.

Thanks to Callahan/Coz, future expectations may be adjusted to more realistic levels.

Winning percentage probably won't even be as much a measuring stick as it has been.

Thinking Husker fans (read Boosters) and Administrators will gage the next staff on more intangibles..Graduation rates, Off field trouble, team attitude..At least for the 1st few seasons...Then probably more emphasis on "winning the Big ones" by year 5-6 as the memory of this regime fades.

So what will happen to make the future Bill Callahan do a better job than the present Bill Callahan? Why would one more year make any difference?

They were instrumental to getting the most output from scholarship athletes and also made direct contributions on the field as well...(Resulting in some kickass team unity and I read somewhere we had the highest number of former Huskers being NFL team captains).

Right, but you realize that BC has pared our Walk-On program down to next to nothing, right? The program we all grew up with doesn't exist anymore, not in any way shape or form. What we have now is no different than what any other program currently has. It's nothing special.

Completely different "sitiation" (Ted Nugent).

Anybody who remembers anything from Nugent's Scream Dream album didn't do enough drugs in the 70's...

Does snorting beer hops count?

I still have a hard time remembering to take drugs even though I'm reminded of my need to take something for my Cholesterol every time I cook out on the grill, have a nose bleed and start a grease fire. :madash

I still listen to Teddy sometimes.

Complain?

more likely....

Rant, throw a fit, hold breath, jump off high places, beat the wives/children...

Personally, I think a head coach should get SIX years like Frank did.

My favorite example is Mangino-

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

If KU didn't wait SIX years, they never would have sniffed 10-0. Mangino's record SUCKED until year six.

But if a revolving door policy (four years or less) is going to be in place from now on..... I hope TO gets PJohnson for the next HC.

Solich would have been 10-0 under Kansas Schedule even Callahan might have been 8-2.

Central Michigan 6-4 113. Central Mich. 10 775 4783 6.17 49 478.30

SE Louisiana 2-8 Not ranked?

Toledo 5-6 100. Toledo 10 711 4440 6.24 53 444.00

Florida International 0-9 99. Florida Int'l 9 644 3987 6.19 44 443.00

Kansas State 5-5 61. Kansas St. 10 720 3831 5.32 35 383.10

Baylor 3-8 106. Baylor 11 858 4994 5.82 48 454.00

Colorado 5-6 51. Colorado 11 752 4063 5.40 37 369.36

Texas A&M 6-5 88. Texas A&M 11 793 4635 5.84 36 421.36

Nebraska 5-6 112. Nebraska 11 860 5204 6.05 51 473.09

Oklahoma State 5-5 108. Oklahoma St. 10 754 4564 6.05 37 456.40

Total ------

Drum Roll please 42-62

I guess NU could schedule those teams and claim they're back. To tired to look up their offensive stats.

PS. Anyone notice that the team that held Nebraska system offense scoreless for a half is rated 108 in total defense?

Good point 8-2 and we'd never be having this discussion.

With a KU type schedule instead of playing 5 ranked teams, two that are currently in the top 5, USC that was #1 when the huskers played them and Texas still #13.

NU had the sixth toughest schedule in CFB.

If I were Cally, I'd have used that excuse all day long. But you know what? he hasn't.

The schedule is seldom brought up.

Too much cally hate out there to look at things objectively.

-brutal schedule

-huge defensive losses to NFL/graduation

-inexperienced D line

-injuries

-it's only year four folks-- even Solich got six!! Many think he should have gotten a year or two more.

Now the revolving door begins.

PJ for HC. Hopefully he gets more than 2-3 years, it would mean reversing the current trend.

BEAT CU!!

Right, but you realize that BC has pared our Walk-On program down to next to nothing, right? The program we all grew up with doesn't exist anymore, not in any way shape or form. What we have now is no different than what any other program currently has. It's nothing special.

Easily unpared..

Might take a little time, but probably the fastest way to turn this thing around.

Easily unpared..

Might take a little time, but probably the fastest way to turn this thing around.

But why in the world would the guy who single-handedly tore the Walk-On program down suddenly "see the light" and rebuild it? Just because TO tells him to?

If there's one thing we know about Bill Callahan, it's that it's his way or no way. Even if he was kept and even if TO told him to rebuild the walk-on program to what it once was, BC still would not give it the chance it needs to succeed. There are countless examples of this behavior from him already.

I agree with you that the program needs to be rebuilt to something somewhere close to its former state, but I have no confidence whatsoever that this will happen under Bill Callahan.

Easily unpared..

But why in the world would the guy who single-handedly tore the Walk-On program down suddenly "see the light" and rebuild it? Just because TO tells him to?

If there's one thing we know about Bill Callahan, it's that it's his way or no way. Even if he was kept and even if TO told him to rebuild the walk-on program to what it once was, BC still would not give it the chance it needs to succeed. There are countless examples of this behavior from him already.

I agree with you that the program needs to be rebuilt to something somewhere close to its former state, but I have no confidence whatsoever that this will happen under Bill Callahan.

EXACTLY!!!

Quess I forgot to state Callahan had to go <_< (again)

For each additional season he's given...Probably sets us back two more.

(Hey! getting more from less?).