If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Landlord

The vast majority of opinions, very obviously, is in support of Callahan being gone, and the vast majority of Husker fans everywhere is one that supports everything Tom Osborne does. So, what if the two conflict?

I personally haven't decided what my stance is on the Callahan situation, too many good and bad things conflicting along with a lack of understanding of the program. But I will accept whatever Osborne's decision on the matter is (at least I say that now).

What about you guys?

One last thing: Regardless of my feelings (or lack thereof) with the Callahan situation, my ethics support Callahan at least getting a chance to right this ship, whether or not he actually can do it. I suppose Tom is at least slightly the same, always talking about how people demand perfection to quickly.

I will complain.

I think TO realizes that he needs to unite the fans--and he won't be doing that by pissing off most of them that want callahan to stick around.

Now that I kind of think about it, shouldn't the preseason hype of this season be accredited, at least in part, to Callahan?

He started off rough, but each year he improved the program significantly, and had us competing three times (you could possibly argue four) last year against top ten teams. This season looked to be promising, building off of a solid 9-win season, yet something (don't say it was completely Callahan, because that's just ludicrous and narrow-minded) caused us to backtrack horribly. I think, if certain things are changed (defensive coordinator anyone?), Callahan could use one more season to show what he's got, and who knows how it would turn out? He has shown inability to coach, but he has also shown great promise, at least in my eyes.

Now that I kind of think about it, shouldn't the preseason hype of this season be accredited, at least in part, to Callahan?

He started off rough, but each year he improved the program significantly, and had us competing three times (you could possibly argue four) last year against top ten teams. This season looked to be promising, building off of a solid 9-win season, yet something (don't say it was completely Callahan, because that's just ludicrous and narrow-minded) caused us to backtrack horribly. I think, if certain things are changed (defensive coordinator anyone?), Callahan could use one more season to show what he's got, and who knows how it would turn out? He has shown inability to coach, but he has also shown great promise, at least in my eyes.

I don't see it. I think he just doesn't quite "get it" about Nebraska football. He doesn't understand.

I don't see TO putting the program through what pedey did when solich fired the assistants and brought in new ones for 1 year. What quality assistants are going to come here knowing that in all likelihood they're gone after a year?

And to answer knapplc--I think most fans want him gone.

He has shown inability to coach, but he has also shown great promise, at least in my eyes.

I think his inability to coach FAR outweighs his potential.

I guess my question to the people thinking he deserves more time would be, when is enough enough? He's had two "good" recruiting classes and two "OK" recruiting classes, so allegedly talent should not be the issue.

He's had four years to acclimate himself to the college game/routine, so that should not be an issue.

He's had ample time to evaluate his coaching staff and make any changes where there are deficiencies, so staff should not be an issue.

But even with all that time and whatnot in his favor, his overall record is still barely above .500. He should have been much further along than he is now. He should be beyond correcting mistaken assumptions by now. He should be in a position of strength both from on-field play and recruiting. But he’s nowhere near those positions.

So what will happen to make the future Bill Callahan do a better job than the present Bill Callahan? Why would one more year make any difference?

And to answer knapplc--I think most fans want him gone.

Agreed. So don't you think TO would have to make the decision that the majority would favor?

I think in this instance--yes. I think he's going to try to get a coach that unites the fan base.

In the past, he's done his own thing and hasn't cared what people think--but this time I think he realizes he needs to find someone that people can get behind.

If for some reason Dr. Tom kept Callahan after this season, you bet I would complain. While it is true that the replacement might not be all that great, how could you be satisfied with the way things are now? You have to try something new. After a debacle of a season like this, after four years, we suck worse than ever. Even if the next coach is another failure, it honestly can't get much worse than this. Callahan has already shattered every bad record in the books this year, so it's not like that would feel like anything new if the next coach also sucked. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain by replacing Callahan.

I can already see all the Callafans sipping too much kool aid getting ready to type "But we put up 73 on KSU!!1!! ZOMG!" Hey- newsflash- that was only because Callahan has no class and he continually went for the throat, throwing downfield every play when we clearly had the game in the bag and going for it on 4th and 20. He kept all of our starters in waaaay too long. One game isn't going to change my mind.

I'd still root for NU no matter who the coach is, but it's hard to say that I wouldn't grow more apathetic after each successive disasterous Callahan season.

TO also hand-picked solich and handcuffed him with the requirement to keep the old staff.

He's not infallible.

In hindsight, Solich was a better pick than Callahan was. I am no way saying TO is infallible nor a Solich apologist, but I would trust what TO says and does over anyone else..........even myself.

TO also hand-picked solich and handcuffed him with the requirement to keep the old staff.

He's not infallible.

In hindsight, Solich was a better pick than Callahan was. I am no way saying TO is infallible nor a Solich apologist, but I would trust what TO says and does over anyone else..........even myself.

I agree--he was better. He might have done in 10 years what callahan did in 4. Or he might have figured things out and NU would be a top 5 team right now.

Hard to say.

But he shouldn't have handcuffed him with the old assistants. That was my point.

Name a good team that Callahan has beat in the last four years?

He supposedly had the Big 12 Player of the last year and still wround-up with 5 losses. Team was not competitive in the two final games last year with teams that had defenses. Now his offense finally wins a game against what some people, are now calling the worse team in the big 12 north, and all of a sudden the 5 game losing streak is not important?

Lets not forget that this offense only scored 6 points against Missouri and was held scoreless against Oklahoma St at home for the first half.

Just wondering if that win was against Iowa St instead of hated Kansas St, would people still be calling to keep him?