If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Landlord

http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

Strength of Schedule

By division

Last Updated Sun Nov 11 08:04:49 PST 2007

Home Advantage = 3.5

Team

1. Notre Dame (1-9) 0.441

2. Duke (1-9) 0.440

3. Florida Intl (0-9) 0.428

4. Baylor (2-8) 0.352

5. Mississippi (2-7) 0.330

6. Syracuse (2-8) 0.318

7. Stanford (3-7) 0.312

8. North Carolina (2-7) 0.282

9. Washington (3-7) 0.277

10. South Carolina (5-5) 0.254

11. Mississippi State (5-4) 0.249

12. Oregon State (5-4) 0.205

13. Iowa State (3-7) 0.204

14. Minnesota (1-9) 0.203

15. North Carolina State (4-5) 0.199

16. Colorado (5-6) 0.196

17. UAB (1-8) 0.194

18. Alabama (5-4) 0.187

19. Nebraska (5-6) 0.182

20. Maryland (4-5) 0.181

SURPRISE!!

Look at the win/loss record of the poor S.O.B.s with the toughest schedules!!

NONE have more than five wins!!

Cally ain't alone.

BEAT CU!!

If Osborne keeps Callahan, are we all going to complain?

Complain?

more likely....

Rant, throw a fit, hold breath, jump off high places, beat the wives/children...

Personally, I think a head coach should get SIX years like Frank did.

My favorite example is Mangino-

2-10

6-7

4-7

7-5

6-6

10-0

If KU didn't wait SIX years, they never would have sniffed 10-0. Mangino's record SUCKED until year six.

But if a revolving door policy (four years or less) is going to be in place from now on..... I hope TO gets PJohnson for the next HC.

Solich would have been 10-0 under Kansas Schedule even Callahan might have been 8-2.

Central Michigan 6-4 113. Central Mich. 10 775 4783 6.17 49 478.30

SE Louisiana 2-8 Not ranked?

Toledo 5-6 100. Toledo 10 711 4440 6.24 53 444.00

Florida International 0-9 99. Florida Int'l 9 644 3987 6.19 44 443.00

Kansas State 5-5 61. Kansas St. 10 720 3831 5.32 35 383.10

Baylor 3-8 106. Baylor 11 858 4994 5.82 48 454.00

Colorado 5-6 51. Colorado 11 752 4063 5.40 37 369.36

Texas A&M 6-5 88. Texas A&M 11 793 4635 5.84 36 421.36

Nebraska 5-6 112. Nebraska 11 860 5204 6.05 51 473.09

Oklahoma State 5-5 108. Oklahoma St. 10 754 4564 6.05 37 456.40

Total ------

Drum Roll please 42-62

I guess NU could schedule those teams and claim they're back. To tired to look up their offensive stats.

PS. Anyone notice that the team that held Nebraska system offense scoreless for a half is rated 108 in total defense?

Good point 8-2 and we'd never be having this discussion.

With a KU type schedule instead of playing 5 ranked teams, two that are currently in the top 5, USC that was #1 when the huskers played them and Texas still #13.

NU had the sixth toughest schedule in CFB.

If I were Cally, I'd have used that excuse all day long. But you know what? he hasn't.

The schedule is seldom brought up.

Too much cally hate out there to look at things objectively.

-brutal schedule

-huge defensive losses to NFL/graduation

-inexperienced D line

-injuries

-it's only year four folks-- even Solich got six!! Many think he should have gotten a year or two more.

Now the revolving door begins.

PJ for HC. Hopefully he gets more than 2-3 years, it would mean reversing the current trend.

BEAT CU!!

To be honest, I wouldn't mind the current record that much if the team had been competitive against their schedule. But to get hammered week in and week out, with Callahan bragging about his "excellent" coaching, points to something far worse than the excuses given.

The team is in disarray. One big showing doesn't change that. A win at Colorado doesn't change that.

This was supposed to be a glory year. Callahan has "his" players now, and they've been in his system four years. I know some have blamed the last of Solich's players for an insurrection, but if they are a problem, don't put them on the field. That's like blaming Clinton for the war in Iraq.

To answer the original question, I will be disappointed if Callahan stays. He is stubborn, arrogant, single-minded and pompous. He cares nothing for the program.

He has shown inability to coach, but he has also shown great promise, at least in my eyes.

I think his inability to coach FAR outweighs his potential.

I guess my question to the people thinking he deserves more time would be, when is enough enough? He's had two "good" recruiting classes and two "OK" recruiting classes, so allegedly talent should not be the issue.

He's had four years to acclimate himself to the college game/routine, so that should not be an issue.

He's had ample time to evaluate his coaching staff and make any changes where there are deficiencies, so staff should not be an issue.

But even with all that time and whatnot in his favor, his overall record is still barely above .500. He should have been much further along than he is now. He should be beyond correcting mistaken assumptions by now. He should be in a position of strength both from on-field play and recruiting. But he’s nowhere near those positions.

So what will happen to make the future Bill Callahan do a better job than the present Bill Callahan? Why would one more year make any difference?

You bring up great points. I do not think that Callahan has had enough time to make changes with his staff. Until this season, nobody seemed to have major problems with Cosgrove's defense. Yes, there have been issues with the defense, but the strong performances closing out last season really made alot of people feel that the defense was headed in the right direction. Nebraska competed well with every top team they played.

Poor play of the defense this season has crippled the offense. Rather than being able to carry out a gameplan, the offense is forced to play catch up.

I do feel that there are definite playmakers on defense-- we just need a fiery, d-coordinator that can bring that out.

I know the writing on the wall suggests Callahan's firing, but if you look at Osborne's philosphies, they suggest second chances.

I fully admit the a return of Callahan for "any" reason would devastate me to the very core. It would be like someone ripping my heart out.

would you start to call for the TO's head then?? I seem to think TO is in a bad position if he wants to keep Cally for one more year that the fans will bitch and moan if he keeps him. But I think TO is above that type of behavior. If TO did keep him and you, I assume think TO is all-knowing like almost everyone else, would you get behind the coach and support or would we be off to another season of lynch mob mentality by "fans" of TO and the program who would be "devastated to the very core"???

no, hell no! all the guy has done is brag about his system since Ganz had a break out game(remember, before that game Joe threw 4 pics).

he doesn't get the NU culture, he doesn't get college ball and he can't or won't make adjustments when things are going to hell. he has had a ton of chances to turn this thing around, no, no no! if he stays next year will be more of the same old sh#t and people will really be bitching more than ever. send him packing, now......clean the slate.

http://teamrankings.com/ncf/27powerratings.php3

Strength of Schedule

By division

Last Updated Sun Nov 11 08:04:49 PST 2007

Home Advantage = 3.5

Team

1. Notre Dame (1-9) 0.441

2. Duke (1-9) 0.440

3. Florida Intl (0-9) 0.428

4. Baylor (2-8) 0.352

5. Mississippi (2-7) 0.330

6. Syracuse (2-8) 0.318

7. Stanford (3-7) 0.312

8. North Carolina (2-7) 0.282

9. Washington (3-7) 0.277

10. South Carolina (5-5) 0.254

11. Mississippi State (5-4) 0.249

12. Oregon State (5-4) 0.205

13. Iowa State (3-7) 0.204

14. Minnesota (1-9) 0.203

15. North Carolina State (4-5) 0.199

16. Colorado (5-6) 0.196

17. UAB (1-8) 0.194

18. Alabama (5-4) 0.187

19. Nebraska (5-6) 0.182

20. Maryland (4-5) 0.181

SURPRISE!!

Look at the win/loss record of the poor S.O.B.s with the toughest schedules!!

NONE have more than five wins!!

Cally ain't alone.

BEAT CU!!

And notice who's schedule is ranked #117 out of #120 - those mighty Jayhawks. I'm sure their ranking will rise quite a bit after playing Mizzou and (if they win) Oklahoma, but how can they be ranked that far ahead of Hawaii in the BSC poll if only two slots separate them in the SOS? Sorry, I know this belongs in another thread.

The vast majority of opinions, very obviously, is in support of Callahan being gone, and the vast majority of Husker fans everywhere is one that supports everything Tom Osborne does. So, what if the two conflict?

I personally haven't decided what my stance is on the Callahan situation, too many good and bad things conflicting along with a lack of understanding of the program. But I will accept whatever Osborne's decision on the matter is (at least I say that now).

What about you guys?

One last thing: Regardless of my feelings (or lack thereof) with the Callahan situation, my ethics support Callahan at least getting a chance to right this ship, whether or not he actually can do it. I suppose Tom is at least slightly the same, always talking about how people demand perfection to quickly.

If that happens, I'll move to Siberia. Hey the skiing is nice there I here... :bonez

You bring up great points. I do not think that Callahan has had enough time to make changes with his staff. Until this season, nobody seemed to have major problems with Cosgrove's defense. Yes, there have been issues with the defense, but the strong performances closing out last season really made alot of people feel that the defense was headed in the right direction. Nebraska competed well with every top team they played.

Poor play of the defense this season has crippled the offense. Rather than being able to carry out a gameplan, the offense is forced to play catch up.

I do feel that there are definite playmakers on defense-- we just need a fiery, d-coordinator that can bring that out.

I know the writing on the wall suggests Callahan's firing, but if you look at Osborne's philosphies, they suggest second chances.

Four years is more than enough time to evaluate your defensive coordinator. Four games is plenty of time. This isn't Kansas - the expectations are far higher here at Nebraska. Any coach taking this job had better know what he's doing from the start, not learn on the fly. Further, Callahan has known Cosgrove for years. This isn't the first time he's seen this guy. No, he's had WAY more time than he needs to evaluate KC.

Now, if you think this is the first year anyone has had a problem with Cosgrove's defense you weren't paying very close attention in 2004. 70-10 against Texas Tech should have grabbed your attention. On top of that, all you had to do was ask a Wisconsin fan what they thought of KC when he left them in 2003. They were ecstatic! They wanted that guy out of there something fierce. He was bollixing things up in Madison just like he's doing in Lincoln.

I kind of get your point about the defense affecting the offense, but I think you're taking that way too far. Yes, momentum on one side of the ball can have an effect on the other side, but the reality is that it's the offense's job to score points. I fail to see how the defense was at fault when the O scored six points against an "OK" Missouri defense, or 14 points against not-too-good defenses from A&M and Okie State.

I completely agree that we have playmakers on defense. Our cupboard is NOT bare, and I fully expect a completely different defense in 2008, as long as Kevin Cosgrove isn't running the show.

TO does like to give people second chances, but I don't recall him giving that second chance to a person who shows no remorse. Callahan is unapologetic about the condition of this team. He insists that "the system is working" if you listen to his recent comments on Joe Ganz. That is not a man looking for a second chance - that is a man looking for another job.

The Bill Callahan era is, thankfully, drawing to a close. Hopefully we can find a coach that fits in with the culture here, and we can remember these times only as "the bad old days," and maybe they'll just make us appreciate that much more the good times to come.

I fully admit the a return of Callahan for "any" reason would devastate me to the very core. It would be like someone ripping my heart out.

would you start to call for the TO's head then?? I seem to think TO is in a bad position if he wants to keep Cally for one more year that the fans will bitch and moan if he keeps him. But I think TO is above that type of behavior. If TO did keep him and you, I assume think TO is all-knowing like almost everyone else, would you get behind the coach and support or would we be off to another season of lynch mob mentality by "fans" of TO and the program who would be "devastated to the very core"???

No, I would most sadly defer to TO's overwhelming experience and judgement. I admit I wouldn't like it one little bit though.

All I know is that this "fan" has seen enough outrageously inept NU football though Callahan to last several lifetimes. Callahan has broken every NU record for losses and simply laughs at it.

I hope to God TO doesn't see any reason to keep this NFL reject employed by NU past the CU game.