If you play this position you're happy BC is going.

T_O_Bull

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

This morning on "Mike and Mike" while discussing the NFL a comment was made that "the Tight End is the most under utilized weapon in (pro)football." That struck home with me and says something about Cally's style of play. I have always considered the TE a valuable part of the Husker offence, not only as a blocker but also as a receiver. For the last four years the TE has been the forgotten man. I went to our roster to check on the names of our TE's and I didn't really recognize any of them, I still remember Jeff Finn, Jr. Miller and Sheldon Jackson but I couldn't remember this years starter. Shame on me but more so shame on HCBC. This is a position that should never be under utilized.

...T_O_B

This morning on "Mike and Mike" while discussing the NFL a comment was made that "the Tight End is the most under utilized weapon in (pro)football." That struck home with me and says something about Cally's style of play. I have always considered the TE a valuable part of the Husker offence, not only as a blocker but also as a receiver. For the last four years the TE has been the forgotten man. I went to our roster to check on the names of our TE's and I didn't really recognize any of them, I still remember Jeff Finn, Jr. Miller and Sheldon Jackson but I couldn't remember this years starter. Shame on me but more so shame on HCBC. This is a position that should never be under utilized.

...T_O_B

Especially the way Missouri brutilized us with their 2 tight ends. Would have been nice to see Martin Rucker follow his brother to NU, but he has had a better career at MU than he ever would have had at NU.

I don't know if it isn't utilized...it's just a different offense than what we had before or what others run. Plus, we have been rotating in and out a number of different TE's vs. just having one receiving tight end and one blocking Tight End (Ex: Tracey Wistrom/Aaron Golliday) Here are the numbers as far back as the stats online at huskers.com for tight ends:

(Year = Receptions/Yards/TD)

'98 = 22/443/6

'99 = 27/633/3

'00 = 24/367/6

'01 = 26/402/3

'02 = 14/416/7

'03 = 24/499/3

'04 = 30/397/3

'05 = 22/165/0

'06 = 35/336/10

'07 = 26/380/4

To me it looks like the total number of TE receptions has remained VERY consistent and the yardage is fairly close (minus the '99 total which is big). TD's are within reason for the most part ('05 was off, but '06 was highest in 10 years). Take what you want from it. The TE's are getting the job done....at least as compared to what was getting done before.

Also, out of all the 'great' Tight Ends that have come through (at least recently) how many have made it to the NFL? Sheldon was there for a few years. Wistrom didn't make it. Herian didn't make it. Other than Johnny Mitchell.....who has there been? A 'big game' tight end is a rare find.

I think we also remember some of the tight ends back in the option football days because they were great blockers or when we did pass, people remembered that. We pass so much more now that people forget about it. I can't honestly run down a list of the receivers we had in the mid and late 90's...I don't remember hardly any of them. Just a change in offense style.

Especially the way Missouri brutilized us with their 2 tight ends. Would have been nice to see Martin Rucker follow his brother to NU, but he has had a better career at MU than he ever would have had at NU.

What Mizzou does with their tight ends is a rarity. They are BOTH go-to receivers and will be first day draft picks in the NFL. They aren't blockers first, pass-catchers second. That's their type of offense and it features them. Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman have combined for over 110 catches and over 1100 yards this season alone. Thats over 1/3 of Chase Daniel's completions and yards.

I don't know if it isn't utilized...it's just a different offense than what we had before or what others run. Plus, we have been rotating in and out a number of different TE's vs. just having one receiving tight end and one blocking Tight End (Ex: Tracey Wistrom/Aaron Golliday) Here are the numbers as far back as the stats online at huskers.com for tight ends:

(Year = Receptions/Yards/TD)

'98 = 22/443/6

'99 = 27/633/3

'00 = 24/367/6

'01 = 26/402/3

'02 = 14/416/7

'03 = 24/499/3

'04 = 30/397/3

'05 = 22/165/0

'06 = 35/336/10

'07 = 26/380/4

To me it looks like the total number of TE receptions has remained VERY consistent and the yardage is fairly close (minus the '99 total which is big). TD's are within reason for the most part ('05 was off, but '06 was highest in 10 years). Take what you want from it. The TE's are getting the job done....at least as compared to what was getting done before.

Also, out of all the 'great' Tight Ends that have come through (at least recently) how many have made it to the NFL? Sheldon was there for a few years. Wistrom didn't make it. Herian didn't make it. Other than Johnny Mitchell.....who has there been? A 'big game' tight end is a rare find.

Good job on the research. :thumbs I was thinking we still use them fairly well, it's just the fact we dont have an outstanding go to guy at TE. I really think Callahans offense could work and work very well if it weren't him calling the plays. He is far to conservative and needs to mix in more misdirection and stop being so predictable. I think a mobile QB would make all the difference in the world as well, as we have seen with Ganz. I think the TE could get even more involved with a mobile QB, they would provide excellent dump offs with a QB rolling out and could also provide great down field blocking if the QB decides to keep the ball and go.

We dont even have a tight end anymore. Callahan had the wonderful idea to change them to H-backs, now that was a good idea.

Considering the talent at the position, I can't say I disagree with the H back look.

As for fullbacks, well, I guess you get what you get. Callahan doesn't use a full back A LOT. Whether that's "wrong" or "right" is subjective. He just doesn't. Kind of like before Callahan, we hardly threw to receivers. I don't think it's right or wrong, it's just the kind of ball that was played.

Too bad Cally didn’t manage the recruiting of TEs Martin Rucker (Mizzou) or Joe Jon Finley (OU). These guys should have been a lock to play for the Huskers, since both had big brothers at NU (Mike Rucker and Clint Finley). What kind of a head coach could screw up a couple of recruiting slam dunks like this?

Also, I don’t think anyone above mentioned Johnny Mitchell, a pretty good TE by any measure.

Too bad Cally didn’t manage the recruiting of TEs Martin Rucker (Mizzou) or Joe Jon Finley (OU). These guys should have been a lock to play for the Huskers, since both had big brothers at NU (Mike Rucker and Clint Finley). What kind of a head coach could screw up a couple of recruiting slam dunks like this?

Also, I don’t think anyone above mentioned Johnny Mitchell, a pretty good TE by any measure.

There haven't been that many posts to not find it. I said it in my first post.....