Does OU loss hurt NU's bowl chances?

HANC

If things hold true (OU trailing big in 4th qtr)....... does this hurt the Big 12, especially NU? I am not suggesting, I am actually askng people who follow a little more closely than myself...

Possible scenario now that only Big 12 champ get BCS.... during the last week, everyone felt that the champ is automatic, but the runner up (MU/KU) would still get a BCS, freeing up another slot for the NU/CU winner.

Of course, NU must win 1st, but now I can only see 1 BCS team...... the winner of the South will have at least 2 losses, and if the south would beat KU/MU, I think that the loser would drop low enough, especially KU, because national media can't wait for a reason to drop them......

Does this hurt our chances at 6-6 of getting a bowl bid, due to records and selection process?

Veery good question. Depends if we can get 2 bcs bowls in conference.

if the big 12 gets 2 bcs, best case scenario is alamo

if big 12 gets only 1 bcs, shreveport, la for the independence will be calling

-we played eli the last time we were there

this was discussed the other day on espn college football live b/c the big 12 has so many bowl teams

Wherever we play, it is important to remember bowl games are vastly important. If we have a new staff, that early, it gives an early practice season. More than likely there will be an interim staff. It will be up to that interim staff to use the extra practice time in ways that will most benefit the players. Also winning seasons are better than losing seasons. First things first though, we need to beat CU. I'm not sure that will be an easy task.

Texas may be the 2nd BCS team, especially if OU loses the Big 12 championship game. I'm almost certain the Big 12 will get a 2nd BCS bowl.

Michigan loses ensures that the Big 10 only gets one spot. I don't think the ACC will get a 2nd spot, nor do I think the Big East will. The reason is because it doesn't look to me that any of them will have a 2nd team in the top 14 as required.

That means Boise/Hawaii gets one, and one comes out of each of the Pac 10/Big 12/SEC.

But there have been so many upsets this year I don't know how it will all end. For one, UConn could still win the Big East and WV could still go an at large.

If Boise St beats Hawaii, and Hawaii loses to Washington, both are probably out of the top 16, and I don't know who the last team would be. It may be that the SEC/Big 12/Pac 10 have all of the rest of the top 14 spots and only 2 teams per conference can go in. Who gets the last berth then? No one else would be eligible under the BCS rules. The BCS is famous for not handling all possibilities.

In addition to only having one team in a BCS bowl, KSU still has to win at Fresno St in order for there to be more Big 12 bowl-eligeable teams than there are spots.

As long as the Big XII has two BCS teams OR KSU loses, the winner of NU vs CU will go to a bowl.

I still feel pretty sure that we'll send two Big XII teams to BCS bowls. Even if OU loses the B12CG, I think both Missouri and Kansas in. If OU wins the Big XII CG, then I think the runner up in the B12CG still gets into a BCS bowl.

If things hold true (OU trailing big in 4th qtr)....... does this hurt the Big 12, especially NU? I am not suggesting, I am actually askng people who follow a little more closely than myself...

Possible scenario now that only Big 12 champ get BCS.... during the last week, everyone felt that the champ is automatic, but the runner up (MU/KU) would still get a BCS, freeing up another slot for the NU/CU winner.

Of course, NU must win 1st, but now I can only see 1 BCS team...... the winner of the South will have at least 2 losses, and if the south would beat KU/MU, I think that the loser would drop low enough, especially KU, because national media can't wait for a reason to drop them......

Does this hurt our chances at 6-6 of getting a bowl bid, due to records and selection process?

No, OU losing does not hurt our chances. The fact that we HAVE to win at CU hurts our chances. The fact that our defense is the worst in college football hurts our chances. OU losing does not hurt our chances.

During the C1 state championship today Adrian Fiala mentioned the Insight.com bowl with Iowa being a potential opponent. That is of course if and I believe when we beat Colorado.

That's two things I would like to see. It would have been really nice if it were still in Tucson. Phoenix not that far though.

It would be great if Nebraska would come to Tucson and play against Arizona someday. I thought with Stoops coming here 4 years ago that might happen. It would be good for recruiting Southern Arizona also. There are a lot of Husker fans down here, just like every where else. Besides I would like to see the Huskers beat Arizona once. I saw the tie in Lincoln and watched the lose in the Holiday Bowl on TV.

BeforeI get to far ahead of my self, guess I better wait till we beat CU :)

GBR!!! :bonez

In addition to only having one team in a BCS bowl, KSU still has to win at Fresno St in order for there to be more Big 12 bowl-eligeable teams than there are spots.

As long as the Big XII has two BCS teams OR KSU loses, the winner of NU vs CU will go to a bowl.

I still feel pretty sure that we'll send two Big XII teams to BCS bowls. Even if OU loses the B12CG, I think both Missouri and Kansas in. If OU wins the Big XII CG, then I think the runner up in the B12CG still gets into a BCS bowl.

But remember, it does not matter HOW many spots there are for the big 12 when we are 6-6.. ANY 7-5 team MUST go to a bowl game before ANY 6-6 team is allowed a bid, no matter what the conference affiliations are.. that is something to remember.. i honestly think we'll be fine if we win against colorado.. but ya never know for sure..

But remember, it does not matter HOW many spots there are for the big 12 when we are 6-6.. ANY 7-5 team MUST go to a bowl game before ANY 6-6 team is allowed a bid, no matter what the conference affiliations are.. that is something to remember.. i honestly think we'll be fine if we win against colorado.. but ya never know for sure..

:bang Here we go again. Pay attention people. For conference tie-ins, a 6-6 team is in as long as they do not keep a CONFERENCE team with a winning record out.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_even..._6and6rule.html

Veery good question. Depends if we can get 2 bcs bowls in conference.

if the big 12 gets 2 bcs, best case scenario is alamo

The Alamo is too ambitious. They are locked into the conference #4/#5 team, and we aren't even close. Let's look at who is bowl eligible in the Big XII, and ahead of us in the pecking order - OU, KU, Mizzou, Texas, Tech, OSU (by virtue of tie-breaker), and A&M (by virtue of tie-breaker). That's 7, so at best we are 8th in the conference. KSU won't go even if they beat Fresno St, because that is the one bowl eligible team that we hold a tie-breaker over.

If KU beats Mizzou, then loses to OU/Texas in the championship game, there is a good chance the conference will get their 2nd BCS team with a one-loss KU. This is possible even if Mizzou beats KU, and then loses to the south team. It depends on how far KU falls in the polls after the loss. It is doubtful that if KU wins out that there will be a 2nd BCS berth from the Big XII because that will result in, at best, 2 two-loss teams right behind them in the conference standings. With a single BCS team from the conference, we could be left out, depending on what the Gator Bowl does. They have the option of taking the conference #4 team this year, which could be lucrative to them if it is a good travelling team like Texas or OU, or if Daniels is favored to get the Heisman. I think they will look elsewhere if it is Oklahoma State.

There are 7 slots (including the BCS) for Big XII teams. There are two variables here - whether the conference gets two BCS slots or one, and whether the Gator Bowl exercises their option on the conference.

Here's the way it looks right now (subject to change without notice the way this football season is going)....

BCS (conference #1) OU/Texas or KU/Mizzou

Possible BCS At-Large bid - KU

Cotton (conference #2) OU/Texas/Mizzou - whoever doesn't win the conference/gets the at-large BCS

Holiday (conference #3) OU/Texas/Mizzou

Gator (option to take the #4 team) OU/Texas/Mizzou with one BCS slot, OSU (they hold the tie-breaker over Tech to move up in the pecking order) with two

Alamo (#4/#5) OU/Texas/Mizzou with one BCS slot and no Gator, OSU with one BCS slot and the Gator takes a team ahead of them, Tech with two BCS slots the Gator taking OSU

Insight (#6) OSU with one BCS slot and no Gator, Tech with one BCS slots and OSU going to a higher bowl, A&M with two BCS slots and the Gator taking a team from the conference.

Independence (#7) Tech with one BCS slot and no Gator pick, A&M if we only have one BCS slot but the Gator Bowl picks from the conference, the Huskers if the BCS takes two and the Gator takes one

Texas (#8) A&M in the worst case scenario (one BCS slot and the Gator picks elsewhere), and we are left out. The Huskers if either the BCS takes two from the conference, or the Gator bowl takes one

If we beat CU, there will be at least 8 bowl eligible teams, 9 if KSU wins. There are contracts for 6 slots excluding the BCS. Simple math indicates that if we are 8th best in the conference and only 7 slots are available, our season may be over. There is, however, one other wild card....

Sun (#?) this bowl also has the option to pick from the Big XII. They may chose us if we are left out of the regular tie-ins, or might go with KSU

The bottom line is that we need to be rooting for a second BCS bid or the Gator to take one of the teams ahead of us out of the picture....