Our new offensive coordinator

Wags had it right. When the Husker only run the ball 11 times when it's 3rd and 3, that's a problem. Whoever the OC is, they better get the OL fixed and fast. Sure, we can score LOTS of points against mediocre teams but when you come up to the big leagues, OL blocking this past season just didn't cut it.

He didn't say what the success rate was on those 11 tries. Anybody happen to know?

i'd say keep Watson on as OC, I think if was given the reins to the offense he could make the WCO work alot more consistently than Crapahan did (god it feels good to use Callahan's name is past tense) OR if Pelini insists on a spread offense then I'm sure Watson is more than capable of a transition.

If we are really going to change offensive schemes, I would rather have a coordinator who is well versed in that offense. I think Watson will stay if we are to run the West Coast style offense, someone else will be hired if not.

Moving to Rumorville.

this sounds like a solid Husker Football topic to me. Not that it matters, but this is one of the FEW threads lately that probably sounds like a Husker Football topic...

...that is, until someone reports they saw Turner Gill's (or anybody's) dog's collar found in Lincoln ;)

The Rumorville forum is for discussions on coaching hires - including assistants. Once the staff is finalized, which should be relatively quickly, then it might go away. But until then, this gives everyone a place to go to to immediately get the latest on any decisions - or rumors.

If we left this on the main page, along with what's already posted there, we'd soon have threads rolling off the first page, never to be seen again. Moving them here actually makes it possible to have some discussions on these issues, as opposed to folks starting a topic and then having it roll off the main page without any discussion or replies at all.

Our current players seem to have been playing pretty well using some of the offence from the previous coaching staff. Perhaps we should get someone/ keep someone around who knows the ability of the current players. I think Watson should stay at O-Cordinator. We should def change up the playbook, but Watson at least has familiarity with the players.

GO TO http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/specialsect...irosebowl/2007/

TOM OSBORNE IS LOOSING!

I like Watson he has that fire and passion like BO does.. When Watson was moved to the side lines I saw a change in the offense, at Texas he was high fivein guys slapping them on the backs getting them fired up and not just the offense but the defense too.. I think you give him a chance to show what he's got to offer and maybe he will have some ideas of what will work along the scale of a spread offense and not so much the WCO.. Maybe Billy boy didnt want to hear any new ideas about the offense.. Who knows we will just have to wait and see...

I would like to see Watson on the sidelines running the offense and keeping everyone intense and ready to play. But i also would like to see and assistant OC up in the box watching the game, cause you get a much better view from the box. Maybe having Co-OC's wouldnt be a bad idea, maybe Watson and Tom Rathman.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

I think this is quite possibly the most important decision Bo will make and I wish it could be Turner Gill but I don't think there is any chance of that happening. Consequently if we could get an up and comer who would be willing to accept TO as a mentor this situation could be awesome. The next 3 to 5 years which I feel are the years that we will have the privedge of having the services of Tom Osborne will be crucial to the next 30 years of Husker Football. Build the foundation, accept the council of a man who was connected with Nebraska Football for 30 years.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

i'd say keep Watson on as OC, I think if was given the reins to the offense he could make the WCO work alot more consistently than Crapahan did (god it feels good to use Callahan's name is past tense) OR if Pelini insists on a spread offense then I'm sure Watson is more than capable of a transition.

If we are really going to change offensive schemes, I would rather have a coordinator who is well versed in that offense. I think Watson will stay if we are to run the West Coast style offense, someone else will be hired if not.

It is my understanding that Watson was calling the plays for the Colorado game. They used the bye week to change the offense to play to Joe Ganz strengths. We ran a lot of zone read, instead of "typical" west coast offense. I think Watson can adapt and put in a good and productive offense, not exactly the west coast.

Don't look for us to be stuck with the WCO, you will see some, but you will also see some option, some power I, some spread, etc. Understand our coach is the best DC in the biz. He knows what fashions of every style of O are the toughest to defend. That is what we'll run. Only the plays/formations that people struggle to defend. It will be extremely unpredictable, Bo change D philosophies every week, he known for it, he will also demand it on the O side of the ball as well.

The non-carbon copy strategies he has used week in and week out of his career is exactly what will make us so hard to play next year.

Bo = Excitement chuckleshuffle

Moving to Rumorville.

this sounds like a solid Husker Football topic to me. Not that it matters, but this is one of the FEW threads lately that probably sounds like a Husker Football topic...

...that is, until someone reports they saw Turner Gill's (or anybody's) dog's collar found in Lincoln ;)

Why not try to get Dennis Franchione as the OC? He is an option guy. He understands ball control. Texas A&M had their struggles this year, but his offense typically eats up clock and has the ability to run for 250 and throw for 200. With Coach Pellini running the defense and Coach Fran being able to focus solely on the offensive side of the game - this would be a winning combination for a long time.

Just a thought!

Thats a good thought one thing that ahs hurt us is the lack of sustainable drives that in points and give the D some time