Junior College Players

NMHUSKER

Does anyone else feel the days of NU looking for quick fix Junior College players coming to an end or at least will be greatly decreased?

I know the Pellini will need to win immediatedly but I'm also seeing with the rebuilding of the walkon program there will be more scholarships spent on 4th year Juniors and 5th year Seniors.

Any thoughts on this?

I don't see why people don't like the idea of JUCOs... they often produce some great players who come in knowing the fundamentals at the college level and can contribute right away to positions you aren't deep at or have certain situations like transferring or entering the NFL early.

Heres a few JUCOs that come to mind...

Mike Rozier

Maurice Purify

Demorrio Williams

Zack Bowman

Zac Taylor

Steve Octavien

Those are just a few guys who stick out in my mind right away, but just think all those guys were probably the best player on their side of the ball in their own respective years, the only one I think you can say wasn't is Bowman but he got hampered by injuries.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with juco players, per se, but I started getting sick of cally using jucos as a cure-all for whatever problems he felt like the team was having. I felt really lousy for the players who had been here for years, especially the QBs, who were constantly passed over for juco and transfer players. I think that dipping into the juco well too often will give your players a sense of helplessness. Play and practice your ass off and when you get to be an upperclassman, the coach brings in some people from juco. It would suck to see that patter emerge.

I don't see why people don't like the idea of JUCOs... they often produce some great players who come in knowing the fundamentals at the college level and can contribute right away to positions you aren't deep at or have certain situations like transferring or entering the NFL early.

Heres a few JUCOs that come to mind...

Mike Rozier

Maurice Purify

Demorrio Williams

Zack Bowman

Zac Taylor

Steve Octavien

Those are just a few guys who stick out in my mind right away, but just think all those guys were probably the best player on their side of the ball in their own respective years, the only one I think you can say wasn't is Bowman but he got hampered by injuries.

The biggest problem with jucos is they come in with typically only 2 or maybe 3 years of eligibility. They aren't around long enough to emerge as leaders. The biggest downfall this year stemmed from zero leadership. Terrell Farley was probably the best juco player we ever picked up. However, he didn't have to have a leadership role because we had so many back in those days. Last year, we had Carriker and Moore to be the leaders on the D. This year, we had none. Throwing a few jucos in the mix is completely fine, and we have had some very good juco transfers. KState is about the only team I know of that consistently won by raiding the jucos for talent. They are definitely worth a look, but I wouldn't try to build a team around them.

It couldn't hurt to bring some d/l and o/l in for some depth at those positions to give guys a breather, for a few plays. I don't like it at the other skill positions like r/b w/r q/b. By the time they start to pick what the coaches are trying to teach, they are into the 2nd year with about 5 or 6 games left, if their only here for 2 years. 3 year juco's are a different matter.

GBR!!!

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

If they are good and can bring what we need they are fine. What needs to happen is the coach has to remember what he has said to the players who play that position. A coach's cred. with the players must be kept intact. Cally forgot that and lost his team.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

One juco that we're getting this year...Simi Kuli....is probably the one recruit in this class that I absolutely DON'T want to lose...so I think that juco's can and are necessary in every recruiting class.

i don't see them as necessary, year after year, but occasionally a gem can be found. as many have alluded to already, it undermines the young guys who have been here for 1-2 years building their skills to play, just when a juco shows up and is awarded the job. this continued practice can hurt recruiting as well as produce some good results. personally, i don't care for it at all.

One juco that we're getting this year...Simi Kuli....is probably the one recruit in this class that I absolutely DON'T want to lose...so I think that juco's can and are necessary in every recruiting class.

i don't see them as necessary, year after year, but occasionally a gem can be found. as many have alluded to already, it undermines the young guys who have been here for 1-2 years building their skills to play, just when a juco shows up and is awarded the job. this continued practice can hurt recruiting as well as produce some good results. personally, i don't care for it at all.

Well, that applies to any player. If they just show up and are awarded a position, it hurts the team. It doesn't matter if it's a juco, walkon, or true frosh scholarship player. That's no argument against juco's.

Well, that applies to any player. If they just show up and are awarded a position, it hurts the team. It doesn't matter if it's a juco, walkon, or true frosh scholarship player. That's no argument against juco's.

no, big difference between working your ass off to get better and play as opposed to a juco showing up with maybe a little better ability, but a whole lot less knowledge about the system he is coming in to. these guys seldom come here to sit on the bench and they can be a flash in the pan for 1-2 years and gone..for me cally was always after the next great juco instead of having his coaches work technique and basic skills, although the jucos may have had better skills than any of the kids here being taught by our half-ass coaches, especially on defense.

no, big difference between working your ass off to get better and play as opposed to a juco showing up with maybe a little better ability, but a whole lot less knowledge about the system he is coming in to. these guys seldom come here to sit on the bench and they can be a flash in the pan for 1-2 years and gone..for me cally was always after the next great juco instead of having his coaches work technique and basic skills, although the jucos may have had better skills than any of the kids here being taught by our half-ass coaches, especially on defense.

:yeah

Jucos and transfers were definitely a crutch for Cally. I think that now that he's gone (and didn't try particularly hard to keep his job) it might be safer to say that he wanted his stint at NU to be brief. The way he brought in juco and transfers to play in key positions demonstrated that he wasn't particularly interested in developing players, was more interested in trying to secure quick wins instead of a developing a strong program, and was just oblivious to developments being made (he thought that his QBs were so bad that he HAD to grab up a player who had lost his starting position at Arizona State!). So it's not the juco xfers that are bad, it's the way that they're used that could be demoralizing to players who have been in a program for a couple of years. After seeing what happened with our QB situation since Cally got here (first starter run off, juco transfer, then another transfer while QBs with good potential were left squandered), I wouldn't want to come here as a freshman QB!

I think that the effect of bringing in a true scholly freshman would be a little different only because the situation would feel a bit more "normal."

Well, you said it yourself...it's a coaching problem, not a problem with jucos.