our recruiting seems to be falling apart.

At first glance, I was getting really pi$$ed off by losing all of the reccruits...... I knew this would happen with a coaching change, and a CHANGE WAS NEEDED....but it really sucks to lose all of these guys.... I thought Rippy was solid as of late last week and Kuli was solid.....what is up?

After much thought, swearing, and more thought, I think I have the conclusion.......IMO, it is obvious that BC fed these kids full of sh!t, and basically told them that they would come in a see a ton of playing time immediately......probably the same thing he told Thenarse, Culburt, Brooks, and Paul to get them to sign on the line.....Basically, these guys are good players, but I think BC wasn't up front.... I bet he told all of the above mentioned players they would see time, and yet, all 4 guys I mentioned rarely saw the field.....and if they weren't ready, then that is fine..

Bo is going in, shooting from the hip, saying the best player will play....practices will be hard and physical, and YOU will have to PROVE to the staff that you DESERVE to play..... I think that some of these "all-stars" are getting a little "cold feet" about having to come in and f'n WORK !!!!!

So yes, I am pissed, and a little concerned that since Bo has been in charge, the ONLY deal that we have "sealed" is a 0 * walk-on and we have had many, many big time guys decommitt.....but, hey, he will get the guys "he wants".....may take a year or two....

Bo had good recruits playing for him at LSU, so i don't know how this all fits together. no matter where the prospective recruits go, they will have to earn their spot, so not sure that argument makes a lot of sense.

more to it than that, but not sure just what, could just be the cycle of a new coach coming to town.....but, it had to be.

Hunter, I agree with you, and I wish we knew the exact answer why all of sudden everyone is leaving....and I understand that the players will have to "earn" a spot, but if a coach is telling you that you can come in and expect to play (BC)..... and the other is telling you that you will have to work your a$$ off (Bo)....then maybe it might have a little to do with it.....especially, since most of these 4-5 * guys are probably "walking easily" throughout their high school career..

What I was suggesting is that BC mya have told all of these guys that they were going to see the field early.... very possible..... My wife has had lunch a few times with Paul, and early in the season, he told her that he expected to see A LOT of playing time.... the coaches had told him he was ready..... If I recall, he only played a handful of snaps on offense and rarely special teams.....

I guess in their (the recruits) minds they were committed to the old coaching staff.... and that isn't the attitude I want anyways. I want them to commit to playing FOR Nebraska. I also don't get why we are losing these defensive players when we lost the weakest defensive coaching staff this school has seen and gained one of the strongest we have ever witnessed.... this is an UPGRADE.... why bail now? I would have been bailing mid season, if at any time, when I saw how bad the coaching was....

I just think the other schools recruiting them are really harping on the fact that we have an untested head coach....

i wouldn't think this is about the staff not liking these recruits. If Bo didn't care, why make such a big effort to go and talk to all these guys the past couple weeks?

It seems more like the staff wants these kids, but the kids are turned off by something they see in the staff.

Ive heard Carl pelini and cotton have not been impressive on the recruiting trail. Seems like they are turning off a ton of commits.

Hunter, I agree with you, and I wish we knew the exact answer why all of sudden everyone is leaving....and I understand that the players will have to "earn" a spot, but if a coach is telling you that you can come in and expect to play (BC)..... and the other is telling you that you will have to work your a$$ off (Bo)....then maybe it might have a little to do with it.....especially, since most of these 4-5 * guys are probably "walking easily" throughout their high school career..

What I was suggesting is that BC mya have told all of these guys that they were going to see the field early.... very possible..... My wife has had lunch a few times with Paul, and early in the season, he told her that he expected to see A LOT of playing time.... the coaches had told him he was ready..... If I recall, he only played a handful of snaps on offense and rarely special teams.....

you sure could be on to something hanc. some of these guys show up now and expect their stars to earn them time on the field and may expect to be treated differently than the "other guys". who knows what the hell cally was pumping these kids full of?? and if Pelini says all the guys are zero * players and they have to prove who they are, well.......could be a problem, hell i dunno how this thing works with these young kids anymore.......i do know this, Niles Paul should have been in the game a lot more than he was last year.

i think that changes this year, young talent gets some real conditional playing time, at the very least.

1st Post here folks. I've been around for while. Thought I would join because I'm the voice of reason.

I think the hysteria involved with our recruiting is rather pathetic. During the Callahan regime we had so many fans who felt the National Title was won on signing day.

I don't want to lose guys like Kuli. He's an instant difference maker for next season. However, if the rest of the class chooses otherwise, who cares? They obviously committed to Bill Callahan and his staff. If they don't want to be here now then they never really committed to the University of Nebraska.

Offensive guys would still be able to play in virtually the same system. Defensive guys would be able to play in a better system for one of college football's top defensive minds. If they can't see that then they obviously were coming to NU to play for coaches who failed on the football field.

All NU needs to do is win games. If we can't do that, then Pelini was never the right guy to begin with. If NU wins, players will come to NU....even big time recruits.

Kansas isn't outrecruiting Nebraska. They don't have more talent than Nebraska. Yet, they've taken it to us the last three seasons. Win games, then worry about recruiting.

One last thing, let's see what these guys think about Bo Pelini after LSU rolls Ohio State. Win and recruting will take care of itself. But criticizing guys because some recruits are choosing to go elsewhere is dumb.

Would you be happier if Kevin Cosgrove was still around but Will Compton did choose Nebraska? Please.

i wouldn't think this is about the staff not liking these recruits. If Bo didn't care, why make such a big effort to go and talk to all these guys the past couple weeks?

It seems more like the staff wants these kids, but the kids are turned off by something they see in the staff.

Ive heard Carl pelini and cotton have not been impressive on the recruiting trail. Seems like they are turning off a ton of commits.

sh#t, cotton has been around forever, he knows how this thing works......what could be his problem??

CP, i know nothing about him, but Bo knows how these guys should act...where did you hear this rumor?

sh#t, cotton has been around forever, he knows how this thing works......what could be his problem??

CP, i know nothing about him, but Bo knows how these guys should act...where did you hear this rumor?

Some guy over on HI is claiming he's hearing this crap straight from recruits. It's another round of message board bs.

1st Post here folks. I've been around for while. Thought I would join because I'm the voice of reason.

I think the hysteria involved with our recruiting is rather pathetic. During the Callahan regime we had so many fans who felt the National Title was won on signing day.

I don't want to lose guys like Kuli. He's an instant difference maker for next season. However, if the rest of the class chooses otherwise, who cares? They obviously committed to Bill Callahan and his staff. If they don't want to be here now then they never really committed to the University of Nebraska.

Offensive guys would still be able to play in virtually the same system. Defensive guys would be able to play in a better system for one of college football's top defensive minds. If they can't see that then they obviously were coming to NU to play for coaches who failed on the football field.

All NU needs to do is win games. If we can't do that, then Pelini was never the right guy to begin with. If NU wins, players will come to NU....even big time recruits.

Kansas isn't outrecruiting Nebraska. They don't have more talent than Nebraska. Yet, they've taken it to us the last three seasons. Win games, then worry about recruiting.

One last thing, let's see what these guys think about Bo Pelini after LSU rolls Ohio State. Win and recruting will take care of itself. But criticizing guys because some recruits are choosing to go elsewhere is dumb.

Would you be happier if Kevin Cosgrove was still around but Will Compton did choose Nebraska? Please.

The response after BC seems to be that since he valued recruiting and failed, recruiting must not be that important. That's just not true. If it didn't matter, why do all the top schools aggresively recruit these top players? Talent matters, recruiting matter.

The key for our next coach to be successful is not to ignore recruiting. It's to keep recruiting at a high level but also be able to coach at a high level. The second part was what was missing from BC and undermined his teams.

We learned a hard lesson about the importance of coaching with BC. Hopefully we don't have to learn another lesson the hard way.