our recruiting seems to be falling apart.

1st Post here folks. I've been around for while. Thought I would join because I'm the voice of reason.

I think the hysteria involved with our recruiting is rather pathetic. During the Callahan regime we had so many fans who felt the National Title was won on signing day.

I don't want to lose guys like Kuli. He's an instant difference maker for next season. However, if the rest of the class chooses otherwise, who cares? They obviously committed to Bill Callahan and his staff. If they don't want to be here now then they never really committed to the University of Nebraska.

Offensive guys would still be able to play in virtually the same system. Defensive guys would be able to play in a better system for one of college football's top defensive minds. If they can't see that then they obviously were coming to NU to play for coaches who failed on the football field.

All NU needs to do is win games. If we can't do that, then Pelini was never the right guy to begin with. If NU wins, players will come to NU....even big time recruits.

Kansas isn't outrecruiting Nebraska. They don't have more talent than Nebraska. Yet, they've taken it to us the last three seasons. Win games, then worry about recruiting.

One last thing, let's see what these guys think about Bo Pelini after LSU rolls Ohio State. Win and recruting will take care of itself. But criticizing guys because some recruits are choosing to go elsewhere is dumb.

Would you be happier if Kevin Cosgrove was still around but Will Compton did choose Nebraska? Please.

The response after BC seems to be that since he valued recruiting and failed, recruiting must not be that important. That's just not true. If it didn't matter, why do all the top schools aggresively recruit these top players? Talent matters, recruiting matter.

The key for our next coach to be successful is not to ignore recruiting. It's to keep recruiting at a high level but also be able to coach at a high level. The second part was what was missing from BC and undermined his teams.

We learned a hard lesson about the importance of coaching with BC. Hopefully we don't have to learn another lesson the hard way.

I agree completely that recruiting is important. There is a direct correlation between recruiting and winning national championships. However, let's see how Pelini recruits after his first season at the helm. I don't care about some of our losses this season. Our '08 class is not going to decide our '08 season. However, the '08 season will have a giant effect on the '09 class.

We have too many fans who are short sided about recruiting. This class is not going to send this program into a tailspin. Secondly, this class as it was 2 months ago, would've meant nothing towards '08.

Judge Bo Pelini by his '09 class, not his '08 class.

Agree, but I still am left scratching my head on a couple of these recruits.

Kuli is the one that I understand the least. He appeared to commit to Osborne and Nebraska. Why has he gone soft? Is it second thoughts due to location? weather? other players? new coaches? These things happen, but the way he talked about Nebraska after he commited made me think he was sold on NU -- not Callahan or his staff. He knew a coaching change was coming (everybody did), so has one of the new coaches rubbed him the wrong way or what? Just seems odd compared to the other commits...

Agree, but I still am left scratching my head on a couple of these recruits.

Kuli is the one that I understand the least. He appeared to commit to Osborne and Nebraska. Why has he gone soft? Is it second thoughts due to location? weather? other players? new coaches? These things happen, but the way he talked about Nebraska after he commited made me think he was sold on NU -- not Callahan or his staff. He knew a coaching change was coming (everybody did), so has one of the new coaches rubbed him the wrong way or what? Just seems odd compared to the other commits...

it won't surprise me at all if Kuli de-commits... there's a reason he had to go to JUCO first ( he may not be that bright ) just like me

Where do we go from here we are lossing out on everyone and in state kids that we thought would be a lock like Robinson have gone eslewhere.

This is kinda pissing me off alittle. It being so late in the recruiting process its hard to find quality recruits to fill up there slots!!! Thats why an early signing period would be great in my eyes but what do I know.

At first glance, I was getting really pi$$ed off by losing all of the reccruits...... I knew this would happen with a coaching change, and a CHANGE WAS NEEDED....but it really sucks to lose all of these guys.... I thought Rippy was solid as of late last week and Kuli was solid.....what is up?

After much thought, swearing, and more thought, I think I have the conclusion.......IMO, it is obvious that BC fed these kids full of sh!t, and basically told them that they would come in a see a ton of playing time immediately......probably the same thing he told Thenarse, Culburt, Brooks, and Paul to get them to sign on the line.....Basically, these guys are good players, but I think BC wasn't up front.... I bet he told all of the above mentioned players they would see time, and yet, all 4 guys I mentioned rarely saw the field.....and if they weren't ready, then that is fine..

Bo is going in, shooting from the hip, saying the best player will play....practices will be hard and physical, and YOU will have to PROVE to the staff that you DESERVE to play..... I think that some of these "all-stars" are getting a little "cold feet" about having to come in and f'n WORK !!!!!

So yes, I am pissed, and a little concerned that since Bo has been in charge, the ONLY deal that we have "sealed" is a 0 * walk-on and we have had many, many big time guys decommitt.....but, hey, he will get the guys "he wants".....may take a year or two....

At the risk of being labeled a Cally-lover, there is really no evidence to back this up. There could be and probably is a ton of different reasons for all the decommits. You claim that ol' Billy sold them a bill of goods, but it easily could be that when Bo met with these guys, they didn't have faith in him as HC. I'm sure sCUm, UT, etc are using our horrible season and worst D in the country as leverage against coming to DONU.

Now, ultimately it is BC's fault, as these guys expected to come play for him in an improving program. But his fault is not getting it done on the field, not what he did or didn't say in the living room. And even if we lose out on a ton of guys this year, I think we can all agree that the program is in better hands.

You should understand why so many of those highly-talented athletes agreed to go to Nebraska in the first place. NU is nothing special if you don't live in Nebraska, so don't expect them to "play for Nebraska." They play for themselves, and they wanted to play for a Callahan-coached team. He is gone now, and he has been replaced by a defensive coordinator that seems to be an underling of TO. That is not a good national image, folks. Get real. It is only special in Nebraska.

Callahan was a successful coach in the past, and he undeniably knows a lot about the game. He is gone now, and Pellini is an unknown; in addition, I don't think that his return to LSU to coach in the next few weeks is a good thing at all. It makes him look a bit less than dedicated to his new role as NU coach; it looks as if NU is secondary in importance in his eyes.

We had some really good recruits in the last two-three years, but the team chemistry crashed--bad, real bad. I chalk it up to a senior class that withheld effort and leadership, and to an over-emphasis on JC recruits.

Pellini needs to not make the same mistake that Callahan did; he needs to rebuild and focus on development of sound, young players. The "win now" strategy works occassionally, but more often it crashes and burns. We've all witnessed Oklahoma's experience with that.

Don't ever think that recruiting isn't important. It is vital; and it can be supplemented with good player development.

In short, the players are waffling because they do not share the Bogasms of some Nebraska fans. As far as they are concerned, he is still only a tested defensive coordinator that is not all that good at recruiting.

Hopefully, time will correct this.

1st Post here folks. I've been around for while. Thought I would join because I'm the voice of reason.

I think the hysteria involved with our recruiting is rather pathetic. During the Callahan regime we had so many fans who felt the National Title was won on signing day.

I don't want to lose guys like Kuli. He's an instant difference maker for next season. However, if the rest of the class chooses otherwise, who cares? They obviously committed to Bill Callahan and his staff. If they don't want to be here now then they never really committed to the University of Nebraska.

Offensive guys would still be able to play in virtually the same system. Defensive guys would be able to play in a better system for one of college football's top defensive minds. If they can't see that then they obviously were coming to NU to play for coaches who failed on the football field.

All NU needs to do is win games. If we can't do that, then Pelini was never the right guy to begin with. If NU wins, players will come to NU....even big time recruits.

Kansas isn't outrecruiting Nebraska. They don't have more talent than Nebraska. Yet, they've taken it to us the last three seasons. Win games, then worry about recruiting.

One last thing, let's see what these guys think about Bo Pelini after LSU rolls Ohio State. Win and recruting will take care of itself. But criticizing guys because some recruits are choosing to go elsewhere is dumb.

Would you be happier if Kevin Cosgrove was still around but Will Compton did choose Nebraska? Please.

The response after BC seems to be that since he valued recruiting and failed, recruiting must not be that important. That's just not true. If it didn't matter, why do all the top schools aggresively recruit these top players? Talent matters, recruiting matter.

The key for our next coach to be successful is not to ignore recruiting. It's to keep recruiting at a high level but also be able to coach at a high level. The second part was what was missing from BC and undermined his teams.

We learned a hard lesson about the importance of coaching with BC. Hopefully we don't have to learn another lesson the hard way.

I agree completely that recruiting is important. There is a direct correlation between recruiting and winning national championships. However, let's see how Pelini recruits after his first season at the helm. I don't care about some of our losses this season. Our '08 class is not going to decide our '08 season. However, the '08 season will have a giant effect on the '09 class.

We have too many fans who are short sided about recruiting. This class is not going to send this program into a tailspin. Secondly, this class as it was 2 months ago, would've meant nothing towards '08.

No, this program is already in a tailspin --- a bad class will just keep us there longer. NU is now a lower middle conference program and is recruiting like a lower -middle conference program. Name a team that lost six of its last seven games and missed the bowl season and is having success in recruiting (ND is bad and they still recruit well --- but they have a mega coach and are an exception). We do not have a mega coach and are not an exception. What we are seeing is pretty much what should be expected, is it not?

You should understand why so many of those highly-talented athletes agreed to go to Nebraska in the first place. NU is nothing special if you don't live in Nebraska, so don't expect them to "play for Nebraska." They play for themselves, and they wanted to play for a Callahan-coached team. He is gone now, and he has been replaced by a defensive coordinator that seems to be an underling of TO. That is not a good national image, folks. Get real. It is only special in Nebraska.

Callahan was a successful coach in the past, and he undeniably knows a lot about the game. He is gone now, and Pellini is an unknown; in addition, I don't think that his return to LSU to coach in the next few weeks is a good thing at all. It makes him look a bit less than dedicated to his new role as NU coach; it looks as if NU is secondary in importance in his eyes.

We had some really good recruits in the last two-three years, but the team chemistry crashed--bad, real bad. I chalk it up to a senior class that withheld effort and leadership, and to an over-emphasis on JC recruits.

Pellini needs to not make the same mistake that Callahan did; he needs to rebuild and focus on development of sound, young players. The "win now" strategy works occassionally, but more often it crashes and burns. We've all witnessed Oklahoma's experience with that.

Don't ever think that recruiting isn't important. It is vital; and it can be supplemented with good player development.

In short, the players are waffling because they do not share the Bogasms of some Nebraska fans. As far as they are concerned, he is still only a tested defensive coordinator that is not all that good at recruiting.

Hopefully, time will correct this.

Great post! Every point is spot on.

The moment I heard Pelini say that NU is not rebuilding is the moment I started questioning this whole gig. NU is rebuilding --- unless a systematic 2 - 3 year plan is in view, the team will continue to ride the lower 1/4 of the conference --- indefinitely.

Some of you people really, really need to pay more attention to how the whole world of college football works. If you make a coaching change, you lose players. Period. Unless you have a very large name(like Meyer was to Florida) you lose recruits. Solich lost Osborne's recruits, Callahan lost Solich's. A&M will lose some of Fran's, Mich will lose some of Carr's. It is how it goes.

Recruiting is based on relationships, and a coaching change means a loss of those relationships. I am sure what Callahan was selling is different than what Pelini is selling.

Unless you are at a program that had several terrible seasons, they will never call it a rebuilding project. And really, if the defense had been worth anything this year, the team wouldnt have missed a bowl game. The offense finished the year #11 in total yards. Pelini is a defensive expert, so if the offense can maintain, and the defense can get revamped(there ARE athletes there that can play much better than they showed this year), then there is no reason to call it rebuilding. The term rebuilding is usually used when a team has a severe lack of talent, and cant compete, which is clearly not the case here.

"nothing special"....what qualifies as 'special'? If you want to talk football tradition, facilities, fan support, then this is as special as it comes. NU is 4th in NCAA history in wins. 5 National championships. One of the most renowned fan bases in college football. Nope, not special. Are there movie stars, and rap stars on the sidelines like USC? Nope. Beaches? Nope. If those are what you are making your choice for to play college football, then your priorities are really screwed up.

i fail to understand why OU can get kids that are both talented and are proud to play to come to Oklahoma, but it is impossible to get these sorts of players to come to Nebraska. Pretty sure this is exactly what TO did during his time.

This notion that the only kids that will play hard for us are the ones that are turned down by every program is poisonous. Believing it in is selling ourselves short, imo.

If they can be talked into going to Norman, OK then i have to believe they can be talked into going to Lincoln, NE.

Some of you people really, really need to pay more attention to how the whole world of college football works. If you make a coaching change, you lose players. Period. Unless you have a very large name(like Meyer was to Florida) you lose recruits. Solich lost Osborne's recruits, Callahan lost Solich's. A&M will lose some of Fran's, Mich will lose some of Carr's. It is how it goes.

Recruiting is based on relationships, and a coaching change means a loss of those relationships. I am sure what Callahan was selling is different than what Pelini is selling.

Unless you are at a program that had several terrible seasons, they will never call it a rebuilding project. And really, if the defense had been worth anything this year, the team wouldnt have missed a bowl game. The offense finished the year #11 in total yards. Pelini is a defensive expert, so if the offense can maintain, and the defense can get revamped(there ARE athletes there that can play much better than they showed this year), then there is no reason to call it rebuilding. The term rebuilding is usually used when a team has a severe lack of talent, and cant compete, which is clearly not the case here.

"nothing special"....what qualifies as 'special'? If you want to talk football tradition, facilities, fan support, then this is as special as it comes. NU is 4th in NCAA history in wins. 5 National championships. One of the most renowned fan bases in college football. Nope, not special. Are there movie stars, and rap stars on the sidelines like USC? Nope. Beaches? Nope. If those are what you are making your choice for to play college football, then your priorities are really screwed up.

GREAT POST!!!!! I want someone to come to NU because they want to play here. Not because of the beaches and girls and empty promises made by a coach. This will all get better, but people need to realize that we were going to lose some recruits and yes it sucks, but we still have alot of talent on this team and we can still be pretty decent next season. If it's not one thing it's another.................

Special as defined by history, yes. Special as defined by the present, no. This is a "what have you done for me lately world" --- most young people (potential recruits) do not care about the past. That the NU players during the bowl season this year can throw in a video of the 95' Huskers in the comfort of their homes is less impressive to a potential recruit than it is for a West Virginia (for example) --- a program with modest history that is in a big bowl game. Or Kansas, or Missouri, etc.

As for these athletes that are there on defense --- well none of us know really for sure just how athletic these kids who have not seen the field much really are. As for the # 11 offense --- well consider that Nu played many games this year when they were hopelessly out of the game and faced an opposing defense that did not need focus (they were up by so much), faced many #2 defenses as the games were already put away and faced defenses that were in pseudo- or literal prevent mode late in the game in a blow-out. That is, the offense numbers are likely situationally inflated. Did NU really have a near top 10 offense? probably not. When they played in meaningful, tight games, against reasonable competition, the offense was rather ineffective --- that said, we were only in games early on --- so maybe with Ganz things changed somewhat.

That said, offensively, we lose Purify, Hardy and Nunn. We may lose Lucky. So, we lose some talent there. We also lose Byford and Nicks --- that will not help at all.

So, do not anticipate a top 10 or likely even a top 20 offense next year. And the defense would be making an almost miraculous improvement if they become a top 35 or so defense. So, not only is this team coming off a 5-7 season, anticipate that next year will be a game or two improvement at best.

Recruiting is based on relationships. But it is also based upon, and more pointedly so, recent and predicted success. And in terms of recent and projected success, well, we at NU are not only not special, we are downright abysmal.