NU gets "C+" grade from ESPN on hiring process

Link

Nebraska

The process: The Cornhuskers won't be rebuilt overnight, after they suffered through one of the worst seasons in school history under former coach Bill Callahan. The Cornhuskers went 27-22 in Callahan's four seasons, two of which ended in losing records, which previously hadn't occurred at Nebraska since 1962. With the Cornhuskers' struggling like never before, athletic director Steve Pederson -- who hired Callahan and gave him a contract extension before the 2007 season -- was fired in midseason. Former football coach Tom Osborne, who built the Cornhuskers into one of the sport's greatest powers, was hired as interim athletic director. Osborne's task was to evaluate the football program and decide Callahan's future. Callahan was fired the day after Nebraska lost to Colorado 65-51 to finish the season at 5-7. Osborne interviewed LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini in Baton Rouge, La., the following day. Buffalo coach Turner Gill, a former Cornhuskers quarterback and assistant coach, also was interviewed. Osborne also spoke with Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe about the vacancy. The search was quickly narrowed to Pelini and Gill.

Grade: B

The hire: Pelini has the characteristics Osborne wanted in Nebraska's next coach: he has a background in defense and understands the culture and expectations at Nebraska. Pelini worked one season as the Cornhuskers' defensive coordinator under Frank Solich and was the team's interim coach in the 2003 Alamo Bowl. He worked the last four years as LSU's defensive coordinator and helped lead the Tigers to the Jan. 7 BCS National Championship Game.

Grade: C

Final analysis: Osborne might have worried too much about hiring a coach with Nebraska ties. A program like Nebraska should have been able to lure a proven head coach.

Overall grade: C+

I don't agree with them, but then again, I never agree with ESPN.

Everyone needs to take ESPN with a grain of salt. Hell, they report rumors as FACT, and I am almost positive their "sources close to the situation" are monkeys that peruse message boards like this one looking for their info. They are no more reliable than the message board they got their info from.

You have to remember, ESPN isn't real big on Nebraska anyway, so naturally they are not going to be big on any returning coaches to Nebraska.

Most places I would probably say that if a coach didn't work out the first time for what ever reason, that he probably isn't going to now....that is most places, and under different circumstances. The prior AD saw to it to take a sucessful program and tear it apart and discard it, just to bring in his own people. It didn't matter that that program had a pretty good level of success in the past, and was still enjoying some success.

I don't put much faith in anything ESPN has to say....they have their own agenda, and it doesn't include teams from the midwest very often...

on the other hand, what did we get rid of?

cally, D

coz, F-

elmo, F

ok, those grade C guys are looking pretty damn good from here!

Lol...feel like we skipped class and cheated and walked away with a passing grade....time for a ciggy in the boys room.... :rollin

these guys aren't exactly new....they have coached here and there before. I think we have a pretty good idea of what they will be like. That is unlike what we had with BC and company, too much pro experience - they didn't have a clue that you have to teach on the college level. They were too busy compiling a 40 lb playbook that nobody could get....