Texas QB eyeing Nebraska

Three Star Texas QB, Kody Spano recently decommited from Okie State and has us listed on top. I didn't get a chance to see the kid play this year but my buddy who is a HS ref, says he plays a lot like Chase Daniels did in HS.

Just read some about him today, sounds like he could be a player. Pretty sh**ty what OSU did to him.

Three Star Texas QB, Kody Spano recently decommited from Okie State and has us listed on top. I didn't get a chance to see the kid play this year but my buddy who is a HS ref, says he plays a lot like Chase Daniels did in HS.

Just read some about him today, sounds like he could be a player. Pretty sh**ty what OSU did to him.

I totally agree and what better way to get back at the pricks, then coming to Nebraska and beating the ever loving dog poop out of them! :clap It sounds like Mike "I am a man, I am 40!" Gundy seems not to be the Saint others portray him to be!

It's tough luck for everyone involved. The problem is Spano has been dead set on enrolling early (spring semester) for nearly two years, and OSU had a scholarship crunch they didn't expect, meaning that they can only offer one new recruit a scholarship for next semester (they are at 84 of the allotted 85).

Gundy asked Spano to enroll in July instead of January. It has Spano upset, which is understandable, because he really wants to enroll early. I don't think this is a case of OSU doing something shady or dealing a low blow to the recruit, it's more just how the cards fell.

It's tough luck for everyone involved. The problem is Spano has been dead set on enrolling early (spring semester) for nearly two years, and OSU had a scholarship crunch they didn't expect, meaning that they can only offer one new recruit a scholarship for next semester (they are at 84 of the allotted 85).

Gundy asked Spano to enroll in July instead of January. It has Spano upset, which is understandable, because he really wants to enroll early. I don't think this is a case of OSU doing something shady or dealing a low blow to the recruit, it's more just how the cards fell.

Their "scholership crunch" was two of the upperclassmen failed and now left Spano out. Seems a coach would have known about their athletes failing months in advance. I have been to college, it's not like you all of a sudden fail a class! Gundy might have really goofed on this one. Pulling the scholie offer on a HS QB from Texas can have major ramifications for future recruiting. Coaches down here in Texas can be downright ruthless.

Well, the line between failing and passing is a pretty strict one, no? If they were borderline, and then something happened, it easily could have unexpectedly reduced the available scholarships. I admit, though, that I'm not familiar with the details of the situation and how exactly they wound up with the scholarship crunch.

They didn't exactly pull his scholarship though - he's still offered for regular enrollment, it's just that they can't give him early enrollment.

Well, the line between failing and passing is a pretty strict one, no? If they were borderline, and then something happened, it easily could have unexpectedly reduced the available scholarships. I admit, though, that I'm not familiar with the details of the situation and how exactly they wound up with the scholarship crunch.

They didn't exactly pull his scholarship though - he's still offered for regular enrollment, it's just that they can't give him early enrollment.

True but you know as well as I do, HS and College coaches who either live in Texas or are trying to pull Texas kids away from OSU will play that "see Gundy can't hold up to his end of the bargain" card. Recruiting is a dirty, dirty, game.

Yep. Makes me wonder if there is more to the story than what I read.

Just so this story is straight about Spano, it goes like this ...

Spano was OSU's first commit for the '08 class back in February of this year. When he first committed, he told Gundy he planned on enrolling early. Remember, this was 10 months ago.

Suddenly, right before the JUCO signing date in December, Coach Gundy decides to bring in a batch of JUCO recruits.

Gundy signed SEVEN early enrollees who were all JUCOs. All of those players visited no earlier than the weekend of the 7th. Only one visited the weekend of the 14th. That means he took commitments from SEVEN guys no less than two weeks before the signing period in December for JUCO players.

Gundy had one early enrollee position left and he wanted it to go to a HS player. Instead of allowing Kody Spano or Adrian Richards, both of whom have been committed for no less than 4 months and had planned to enroll early, Gundy decided to allow Markelle Martin to potentially have that spot. Martin committed on the 14th of December. Martin committed in large part due to the fact he became close friends with none other than Kody Spano.

To recap, Gundy had two players he had known were planning to enroll early for nearly 4 months. Two weeks before they enroll, he takes commits from 7 early signing JUCO players. He also took the commits that close to the end of this semester, knowing very well that two players already on his roster were not going to graduate early as he expected. Instead of even allowing just one of his longtime commits to enroll early, he potentially gives that spot to a kid who had just recently committed.

Basically, Gundy is a man, but not much of one.

Spano now has Nebraska listed as a HIGH interest. I think after he visits Nebraska he will be N! I watched video on this kid and he's a gun slinger with a great running stride. His 4.7 40 time is very misleading!

I agree, I definitely think he will commit on his visit

Not to mention he ran the Spread O in Highschool! Could be a glimpse of great things to come!

Spano now has Nebraska listed as a HIGH interest. I think after he visits Nebraska he will be N! I watched video on this kid and he's a gun slinger with a great running stride. His 4.7 40 time is very misleading!

I agree, I definitely think he will commit on his visit

Not to mention he ran the Spread O in Highschool! Could be a glimpse of great things to come!

This is great!!!! If this kid is as good as everyone says he is he will be a great addition!!!! :thumbs