Did Osborne require Pelini hire certain assistants?

I think it is a case of reading between the lines. Osborne stated 2 guys he wanted for the job and Bo wanted to hire them. Who knows if he did so because he wanted to or because TO told him he should. It was reported that Grobe was rejected because he wanted to hire all of his own assistants.

I hope not. This guy made it sound like TO wanted a hand in it:

Nebraska: Bo Pelini, C-. The depth of failure in the Bill Callahan era: an abominable showing on the field, fear of change off it. You don't settle for Pelini because he spent one year in Lincoln and knows "the Nebraska way." When Jim Grobe says he wants to hire his own staff, you say "whatever you want" and close the deal.

This infers that a potential Grobe hire went awry because of it.

But who knows?

Bo will do ok.

I hope not. This guy made it sound like TO wanted a hand in it:

Nebraska: Bo Pelini, C-. The depth of failure in the Bill Callahan era: an abominable showing on the field, fear of change off it. You don't settle for Pelini because he spent one year in Lincoln and knows "the Nebraska way." When Jim Grobe says he wants to hire his own staff, you say "whatever you want" and close the deal.

This infers that a potential Grobe hire went awry because of it.

But who knows?

Bo will do ok.

I think the other thing about hiring coaches is that it is similar to recruiting. You have to find the right fit. Most people probably wouldn't deny that if you were rating coaches, Petrino going to Arkansas would look like a better hire on paper, but in reality, Petrino would be a horribly fit at Nebraska. At the same time, Pelini probably wouldn't have been a good hire for a place like Michigan. Peilini seems like a good fit for Nebraska.

I think the other thing about hiring coaches is that it is similar to recruiting. You have to find the right fit. Most people probably wouldn't deny that if you were rating coaches, Petrino going to Arkansas would look like a better hire on paper, but in reality, Petrino would be a horribly fit at Nebraska. At the same time, Pelini probably wouldn't have been a good hire for a place like Michigan. Peilini seems like a good fit for Nebraska.

Yes Bo does fit. But many coaches may "fit".

Are there better coaches out there? Of course there are. There are worse ones also.

Back on point-- I definitely think a Head Coach should have absolute say over his choice of staff, even the inexperienced Bo. I'd hate to think that he didn't pick his own staff, after all -- his job depends on the performance of his coaches.

Bo will do ok.

GO BO!!

Yes Bo does fit. But many coaches may "fit".

Are there better coaches out there? Of course there are. There are worse ones also.

Back on point-- I definitely think a Head Coach should have absolute say over his choice of staff, even the inexperienced Bo. I'd hate to think that he didn't pick his own staff, after all -- his job depends on the performance of his coaches.

Bo will do ok.

GO BO!!

I would agree. It seems somewhat unlikely that Osborne would interfere like that. It goes against a lot of things he said about how much he apprecited Devaney not looking over his shoulder. It also seems somewhat unlikely that Pelini would have taken the job if he was being handtied like that.

I think it's likely that TO told Grobe that he (TO) would like some input into the staff selections, a deal breaker for Grobe and most top tier coaches but important to Tom in that he'd like some continuity where possible and at least some NU ties. We all know about the wholesale coaching changes that Cally made and how folks felt about that.

I would have preferred that Tom picked Grobe and let him choose his own staff. But Tom's the coaching legend, I'm a poster on a message board.

I also suspect that TO recommended a few choices to Bo, that Bo may have followed out of reverence for TO.

Can't blame him for that!

JMO.

I think it's blown out of proportion. If a candidate says they will bring in all of their own guys, and the AD isnt convinced that it's the best solution for what he has in mind, then who cares what people think outside of Lincoln?

It was clear Dr Tom wanted to get back to basics. In-state recruiting, beefing up the walk on program, toughening up the defense, be competitive each week, and fully embrace the tradition & history of the program. Regardless if a candidate wants his own guys, he needed to understand this direction & the importance of it above all other things.

I'm not about to take Jim Grobe's word on what went down with his candidacy for this job. He's not one of us, never has been and never will be. At this point it's just as accurate to speculate that he was using this interview simply to leverage contract negotions.

I refuse to concern myself with what people outside this program think about or say about this program. Pelini seems happy, his assistants seem happy, and the players seem happy. That's what I care about right now.

The stuff with Grobe is all speculation. I have yet to see either Grobe or Dr. Tom say anything about the meeting, so anything as to why he didnt get the job is pure speculation.

Bear in mind also that Pelini liked a number of the guys he worked with before when he was here, and by all accounts said he wanted to work with several of them again.

I believe Coach Pelini got the people he wanted. When he was here in 2003 he developed friendships on that staff and asked some of them to rejoin him. He got to know the young guys at LSU and sees something special in them and invited them as well. He wants to keep the offense on a similar track so he retained Watson and Gilmore. It will be interesting to see who the RB coach will be.

No coach would take a job so high profile and not have the people that he wanted...I believe that Dr. Tom suggested and Bo liked the suggestions.

personally, i would have liked to have seen a coach with a track record,, a place like nu should not have a problem getting someone with experience. but i quess there is a first time for everything. i went to high school where recruit dan hoch is coming from , and they hired the assistant, bladt , as head coach... and everything eles is history since, he turned out to the be the winnest coach in iowa with more state titles, appearances in title games.. like 16 out of 24 years..that is hard to duplicate....