THE most overhype players to sign w/NU

I didn't say that "I" was comparing him to Tommie. But, if you can remember the hype surrounding Bobby coming in, the entire state automatically thought that this kid was going to be the next Frazier. Not my "bar", but the fact is, during the time in which he was recruited, NU was looking for the next TF...

I didn't base my "minor-bust" label on comparison to Frazier, but to the fact that he brought a TON of buzz, and didn't even play the position that he was supposed to be our "savior"........now, of course, he played behind the Heisman winner, so I am not saying that he wasn't a fantastic athlete....just not the QB that the hype built him up to be.

I am not sure you can put Evans on this list.........if memory serves me right, Evans was off to a very good career, and his severe abdominal injury basically ended his DI playing time....he was on his way, until the injury......not fair to him to put him on this list..

my vote goes to Harrison Beck.......Way too much hype, for a kid, who still doesn't get playing time at his 2nd major college..........or, when he plays, he kind of sucks......

Evans was out like 8 weeks due to a tailbone injury. How in the heck can you injure your tailbone so bad that you can't play for like 8 weeks? He was a bust, and he gave up on the team.

Two of the players I remember getting the most hype were Thunder Collins and Joe Dailey. Another name to throw out there for hyped busts has got to be Randy Stella. He was an amazing athlete but just didn't have much gray matter between the ears.

Wistrom threw him into a locker because of his attitude problem if i remember correctly.

Just curiously, isnt the quarterback we bring in from out of state who we deem to be the most talented one coming in always compared to Frazier? When we start calling a three star duel threat quarterback from New Jersey who actually started for us one of our worst busts, than maybe we have to look at the reality that maybe we were the ONLY ones who had those kind of expectations for Joe Dailey. For christ's sake he was all of 5'10'' 180 lbs if u ever actually saw the guy. Im pretty sure the Florida State's and Miami's of the world weren't going after this kid at the time.

I am not sure you can put Evans on this list.........if memory serves me right, Evans was off to a very good career, and his severe abdominal injury basically ended his DI playing time....he was on his way, until the injury......not fair to him to put him on this list..

my vote goes to Harrison Beck.......Way too much hype, for a kid, who still doesn't get playing time at his 2nd major college..........or, when he plays, he kind of sucks......

Evans was out like 8 weeks due to a tailbone injury. How in the heck can you injure your tailbone so bad that you can't play for like 8 weeks? He was a bust, and he gave up on the team.

Two of the players I remember getting the most hype were Thunder Collins and Joe Dailey. Another name to throw out there for hyped busts has got to be Randy Stella. He was an amazing athlete but just didn't have much gray matter between the ears.

Wistrom threw him into a locker because of his attitude problem if i remember correctly.

For real? :o

For real? :o

i looked it up i guess it was mackovika not wistrom

Another name to throw out there for hyped busts has got to be Randy Stella. He was an amazing athlete but just didn't have much gray matter between the ears.

Absolutely. Parade All American that smoked and snorted away his future. Stella's case is truly a sad one. I used to see him all the time at the Underground downtown holding it down with his posse while he represented in his 2000 Fiesta Bowl jacket. He showed up to UNO practices stoned and was still, by far, the best athlete out there.

Another name to throw out there for hyped busts has got to be Randy Stella. He was an amazing athlete but just didn't have much gray matter between the ears.

Absolutely. Parade All American that smoked and snorted away his future. Stella's case is truly a sad one. I used to see him all the time at the Underground downtown holding it down with his posse while he represented in his 2000 Fiesta Bowl jacket. He showed up to UNO practices stoned and was still, by far, the best athlete out there.

A friend of mine, Lee Cook, played basketball with him at Benson and they had a sick team.

that's because frank solich had a hard on for crouch to be at qb...don't get me wrong, it worked out for us, but newcombe would have been a great qb.

overhype for the wrong position maybe...he was an incredible athlete that needed to be on the field regardless

totally agree..Newcombe would have been a good qb for us ...the guy can run and pass..big mistake by solich i think

that's because frank solich had a hard on for crouch to be at qb...don't get me wrong, it worked out for us, but newcombe would have been a great qb.

overhype for the wrong position maybe...he was an incredible athlete that needed to be on the field regardless

totally agree..Newcombe would have been a good qb for us ...the guy can run and pass..big mistake by solich i think

yeah...all Eric Croch did was win that stupid Heisman trophy...

:lol: damn I wish I could have been there for that one....!!! :clap

yeah...all Eric Croch did was win that stupid Heisman trophy...

:laughpound I heard that they melted it down and made more dumb bells out of that stupid trophy....think it was the Aquarium guy that told me where it went....not sure though. :rollin

Wasn't Evans one of the 1st guys to develop the "sport's hernia" (not medical name)....deep abdominal injury, which caused him to miss a ton of time (almost the season)........then, after he returned, he was injured again, saw that he was never gonna be at the DI level again, so went to a smaller school.....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think that I may be correct (doesn't happen much :) )

So, again, IMO you can not put Evans into this category.

Would anyone consider Bobby Newcombe as a "minor" bust? He was very highly touted at QB, and then couldn't win the starting job and played a fairly prominant role at WR. I like Bobby, and he was important to our Big 12 Title, but he never panned out as the next Tommie.

:yeah

Beck

Newcombe

(I remember getting into a heated argument with a buddy when Newcombe and Crouch were pretty much completely even... really still competing for the same job... at the time I argued that Crouch would prove the superior college quarterback. Bobby then went thru a whole series of 'head games', leaving Lincoln etc. - if I remember correctly, where it felt like he wasn't ever in it for the team).