What to expect from Pelini and staff

Hello fans and friends.

I thought you all would like a little bit of information that I've come across. First let me give you the background on where this info comes from. I have a friend that has served on the Husker since Solich was HC. Thru him, I got to know several other people that work with the players year-round. To them, the information we covet is their everyday lives and answering a question about Husker football is like a math teacher answering a math problem. No big deal. Some who know me know the person but I can't give names, and would appreciate his name not being put on the board either.

Anyway, here's a little of what he told me: expect Pelini practices to be full contact the majority of the time (like Mon, Tues and Wed) with Sundays off. Pelini is also going to make sure the RB's get hit often, not to try to injure them, but he's a believer that the more physical the player the better he becomes. Marlon complained quite a bit about getting hit under BC, but he probably got hit as much last year as he's going to the 1st week of spring ball. If he works hard and doesn't give up on the coaches, you'll truly see the reason he got his 5 star ranking out of HS. Pelini learned from other coaches when he was here in 03 how to get the most out of a player. Jimmy Williams broke Demmorrio Williams down and was able to shape him into a star. DW was on the verge of quitting the team, and was actually headed off the field in tears. Jimmy stopped him before he got into the locker room and convinced him that the coaches were pressing him so hard because his talent was sick but he wasn't working hard enough and taking advantage of it. DW finally listened, stepped up and became one of the biggest surprises on the defense his senior year. Jimmy's not on this staff, but Carl, Bo, Marvin, Ron and Barney were all part of that same mindset and are extremely eager to work with these kids and start winning.

I'll try to share more of this info as I have time. Amazing how much time kids, a wife and a job take from me. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll share what I can, when I can.

hoyamannn

Hello fans and friends.

I thought you all would like a little bit of information that I've come across. First let me give you the background on where this info comes from. I have a friend that has served on the Husker since Solich was HC. Thru him, I got to know several other people that work with the players year-round. To them, the information we covet is their everyday lives and answering a question about Husker football is like a math teacher answering a math problem. No big deal. Some who know me know the person but I can't give names, and would appreciate his name not being put on the board either.

Anyway, here's a little of what he told me: expect Pelini practices to be full contact the majority of the time (like Mon, Tues and Wed) with Sundays off. Pelini is also going to make sure the RB's get hit often, not to try to injure them, but he's a believer that the more physical the player the better he becomes. Marlon complained quite a bit about getting hit under BC, but he probably got hit as much last year as he's going to the 1st week of spring ball. If he works hard and doesn't give up on the coaches, you'll truly see the reason he got his 5 star ranking out of HS. Pelini learned from other coaches when he was here in 03 how to get the most out of a player. Jimmy Williams broke Demmorrio Williams down and was able to shape him into a star. DW was on the verge of quitting the team, and was actually headed off the field in tears. Jimmy stopped him before he got into the locker room and convinced him that the coaches were pressing him so hard because his talent was sick but he wasn't working hard enough and taking advantage of it. DW finally listened, stepped up and became one of the biggest surprises on the defense his senior year. Jimmy's not on this staff, but Carl, Bo, Marvin, Ron and Barney were all part of that same mindset and are extremely eager to work with these kids and start winning.

I'll try to share more of this info as I have time. Amazing how much time kids, a wife and a job take from me. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll share what I can, when I can.

hoyamannn

Thanks for the insight....think this is what this program needs, too. I hope that people like Lucky will step up and put out 100% during practice as well as during the game. I believe that everyone would see a big difference over last year if they will do that. There has to be more energy around this team, and that just don't show up on Saturday if it hasn't been there all week.

:restore:w00tdedhoarse

It'll be interesting to see how Marlon responds to that.

Along with any other players that still kinda have that mindset...

Wish I could go watch their practices. I loves hitting! :bonez

:yeah

I'm real curious to see how all of the troops respond to the new sheriff in town. Do we hear daily about someone leaving the team? (not that it's a bad thing...)

Thanks for the insight. One thing we need to brace for is that every year has some attrition from the ranks. Most coaching changes create even more attrition. And finally....the abrupt change in culture in the Husker program is possibly going to create a lot of attrition and feed a lot of conversation between now and next August.

Some tough medicine. But necessary and healthy growth.

All I can say is thank god. Practice used to be the hardest part of the week of Husker football. If you practiced with pain and practiced to play five quarters instead of four, when you get into a game it becomes easy to just play football, expecially when the other team is getting gassed.

When I heard the players were not practicing in pads under Callahan it made total sense why there were poor angles and tentative tackles on Defense and hesitant movements and quick take downs on offense. This isn't the NFL where you can go pick up a new guy off waivers to fill a hole, you have to make these kids ready to fill those holes or you lose.