What Bo Inherited -- expectations

robsker

Bo comes into a better situation than Clownahan did for one reason and one reason only. How much worse can we actually get this next year over 2007? Clownahan came in after we had just finished in the top 20 in 2003. The expectations and the bar are much lower after 4 years of the Clownahan era than they were after the Solich era. I mean seriously, how much worse can our D really get? Btw, how can you not compare one coach's recruits who became All Americans to another coaches's recruits who became All Americans?

Very easy Solich had some and Callahan had none.

I will say Bo is coming into a better QB situtation.

When we last saw Bo coaching the NU defense, Bo had some serious talent that he inherited. The 2003 Husker defense featured no fewer than 10 future NFL players in prominent roles: Ryon Bingham, Le Kevin Smith, Trevor Johnson, Adam Carriker, Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams, Fabian Washington, Josh Bullocks, Daniel Bullocks and Jerrell Pippens. And, of course, that defense did very well.

This time around, Bo has inherited a defense where, perhaps Suh, maybe Dillard, perhaps Asante --- and well, I can not think of anyone else that might have NFL futures that he inherited. Even if we are very liberal with our assessment and say Suh, Asante, Dillard, Turner and maybe someone else is NFL caliber that means instead of inheriting 10 future NFL defenders he will inherit 5 at best. So....

Do not expect miracles. Do not expect this defense to even approach the defense we had the last time Pelini coached here.

Be reasonable with the expectations. if we move from the #115 defense nationally to say the #40 that would be awesome.

This is a serious question. I didn't watch the Huksers in 03.

Before Bo came, how many of those 10 NFL players played like NFL players? I HIGHLY doubt all 10 of them did.

I'll say this: with Bohl running the show I didn't think anyone would make it in the NFL. Can a lot of people on here say that the Josh Bullocks and Fabian Washington were first day material based off of the way they played in 2002? Same goes for Demorrio Williams. I thought he was a decent LB in 2002, but with Bo knowing how to use his talent he turned D Williams into a great player.

I think Bo knows heart. Look at Cory Ross. He got him on the field. He knows what is needed to play the game. No gimmicks, just looks for kids that want it more than anything else. He brings it out further. I think he will be a good head coach as far as coaching and motivation are concerned. Some other things will take time to know.

But he is doing all the right things now.

some of you might be underestimating what bo has got here, callahan was quoted as to saying that he didnt think that he could develop guys from a raw form into todays all american players, thats why he put an emphasis on recruiting, he thought that if he had talented kids and juco kids with experience, it would translate into wins, obviously he was wrong, glen dorsey credits his success soley to pelini, he says pelini was a big factor in his work ethic, alot of these players we currently have on the team have the talent but just have lacked the proper coachingand havent been tested at their true level, who knows what we really have? ie heard that callahan even picked favorites for starters, take sam keller over joe ganz or whoever over zach bowman, i mean bowman is nfl talent and after he gets back he barely plays cuz the coaches dont have faith in his abilities, overall pelini has the talented kids he has everything he needs, i mean why can mangino take 2-3 star maybe even unknown prospects and make them starters for a national contender team? to really see what hes inherited you have to look at the bigger picture

If you would have been asked in 2002 how many of those guys woul dplay in the NFL what do you think you would have said? certainly not 10. they looked horrible. this post is pointless

In 2002 most of us would have easily said both Bullocks,Adam Carriker, Barrett Ruud, and Demorrio Williams were all NFL caliber w/o any doubt and the others (except Pippens) as possibles. That is quite a bit more in the way of perceived NFL defensive talent than what we see now.

The point is this --- Callahan left this program in worse shape at every level and in every way than when he found it --- including talent (perhaps it could be argued that the talent is no lower but only even --- though I tend to say that Callihan inherited more talent than he left to be inherited by Pelini). So, we must really cut Pelini some serious slack --- if the Huskers go 7-5 next year, Pelini and his crew deserve a standing ovation (especially if the Huskers are fairly competitive even in their losses).

What I am trying to hedge against is a mindset that will turn on Pelini and become accusative when the Huskers do not win the 9 - 10 games that many think NU should win (the notion being that NU has 10 win-talent --- it does not even remotely have that level of talent).

Defensive talent less, offensive talent more. Offensive coach, now defensive coach. That is the reason Watson is here. To keep what we had going offensively and let Bo concentrate on the defense.

I agree with the idea that we need to keep things realistic. Not saying that Bo can not win 10 games this year. Not saying he will lose 8 either. I just want him to have the time without undue preasure making him take chances with things.

He has five years to get it done I think. We will see a different team this year. There will be a unity that was missed last year for some reason. We will see a lot of youth play this year I think. Balls to the wall attacking defensive strategy. Take aways and sacks will become more important. Devastating blocks by the offensive line will be cheered and congratulated. Maybe the pancake will come back to being an important part of the mindset.

Heart, I think if anyone can give this team heart it is Bo.

But what ever happens we have to support this team. NO booing for what ever reason. It must become our moto. I still think that did way more damage last year than anyone thinks. Kids do not understand it. I think our fans help destroy this team last year. We need to be better fans and more patient. If you can not make a positive comment, make no sound at all.

I don't think so Robsker, going into the 2002 season of the group named only Demorrio Williams was truly impressive enough to be called a probable NFL lock following the spring game. The Bullocks Bros probably were on the short list and maybe Ruud on name value alone but that's about it.

Carriker was a three star kid who hadn't played defense since he was a high school freshman when he came to NU. He was falling down the depth chart behind Trevor Johnson and Bernard Thomas and it was unknown if he would even ever see the field before things clicked and he became a beast.

Trevor Johnson was fourth on the depth chart behind Chris Kelsay, Justin Smith and Demoine Adams and was battling Bernard Thomas with neither of them really distancing themselves from the other. Hardly a favored candidate to be a future NFL draft pick.

Ryon Bingham was in the mix at DT but it was Patrick Kabongo that was seen as the NFL draft prospect on the interior D-Line, not Bingham.

Jerrell Pippens was the starting Free Saftey but going into the season it was widely speculated that if Aaron Terpening improved enough to start at the rover position that Philip Bland may move over and take Pippens' spot at safety.

Le Kevin Smith had a fine year in 2002 but coming into the season he was a redshirt freshman coming off knee surgery. If anyone at that time said he was a sure fire NFL player they'd have been laughed at.

Fabian Washington also had a great 2002 but coming in he was a true freshman who if not for the injury to Willie Amos probably would have redshirted. A highly rated 4 star corner (13th at his position) but still an unproven freshman at the time.

Again, it is hard to know who is definitely going to be great or horrible coming into a year and impossible to know who is going to come out of nowhere to be a star.

This team has just as much talent as Pelini's last squad and a LOT more depth. The potential for a really good defense is here, it just has to be tapped and unleashed.

Defensive talent less, offensive talent more. Offensive coach, now defensive coach. That is the reason Watson is here. To keep what we had going offensively and let Bo concentrate on the defense.

I agree with the idea that we need to keep things realistic. Not saying that Bo can not win 10 games this year. Not saying he will lose 8 either. I just want him to have the time without undue preasure making him take chances with things.

He has five years to get it done I think. We will see a different team this year. There will be a unity that was missed last year for some reason. We will see a lot of youth play this year I think. Balls to the wall attacking defensive strategy. Take aways and sacks will become more important. Devastating blocks by the offensive line will be cheered and congratulated. Maybe the pancake will come back to being an important part of the mindset.

Heart, I think if anyone can give this team heart it is Bo.

But what ever happens we have to support this team. NO booing for what ever reason. It must become our moto. I still think that did way more damage last year than anyone thinks. Kids do not understand it. I think our fans help destroy this team last year. We need to be better fans and more patient. If you can not make a positive comment, make not sound at all.

Great post! I could not agree more. We as fans should not boo nor should we complain about immediate performance. It is a process and Pelini will need time to get this thing turned around.

If you would have been asked in 2002 how many of those guys woul dplay in the NFL what do you think you would have said? certainly not 10. they looked horrible. this post is pointless

In 2002 most of us would have easily said both Bullocks,Adam Carriker, Barrett Ruud, and Demorrio Williams were all NFL caliber w/o any doubt and the others (except Pippens) as possibles. That is quite a bit more in the way of perceived NFL defensive talent than what we see now.

The point is this --- Callahan left this program in worse shape at every level and in every way than when he found it --- including talent (perhaps it could be argued that the talent is no lower but only even --- though I tend to say that Callihan inherited more talent than he left to be inherited by Pelini). So, we must really cut Pelini some serious slack --- if the Huskers go 7-5 next year, Pelini and his crew deserve a standing ovation (especially if the Huskers are fairly competitive even in their losses).

What I am trying to hedge against is a mindset that will turn on Pelini and become accusative when the Huskers do not win the 9 - 10 games that many think NU should win (the notion being that NU has 10 win-talent --- it does not even remotely have that level of talent).

really?

did J. bullocks 16 tackles and no int scream NFL? how about one INT and less then 50 tackles for the other bullocks? NFL material? adam carricker? what did he do in 2002? absolutely nothing. he redshirted.

williams? less than 100 tackles, only 6 TFL and 1 sack. (he had 128 the next year with 21 TFL and 11 sacks....and still only got drafted in the 4th round) barret ruud? he had less then 2/3 the # of tackles in 2002 that he had in 2003. (only 91 total tackles)

Great post skersfan. I think we have enough talent to win some games, I'm going to say maybe 8. These players are going to really want to silence the critics and I believe Bo will use this. Teams that play with a chip on their shoulder are very dangerous and often over achieve. We are only 1 season removed from playing in the Big 12 championship game, I don't think that we are as far away as some may think.

I think Bo inherited talent. The coaches last year are the most to blame for the teams collapse defensively. I am sure that after the 2002 season most people would have said the same thing about the talent of that team prior to Pelini coaching them the next year. That 2002 team didn't have as good of coaches and didn't play well as a result of that. They got Bo the next year and played markedly better by all accounts.

This Nebraska team, especially defensively, has some good players that will excel now that Bo Pelini is their coach, along with the new Assts. They seem to have more fire and youth, for the most part, that will create more enthusiasm and fire in their play. I think I am most interested in seeing the D-Line since they are basically the same guys who were pretty awful last year. I am anxious to see what they play like after last year.

Since the DB's and LB's are almost a complete change, they are more of a question mark...although I think in a good way. Our LB play last year was atrocious. Again, I think that was more because of coaching then the players themselves.

I look forward to seeing how Bo and his staff coach these guys and what they play like this coming year. After last year, there is no where to go but up. I think in this case, we will all be surprised at how much better they play because of the coaching philosophy that Bo brings.

Our D was so poorly prepared and motivated that it is hard to say how much talent is there. It hurts that we lose so many starters at LB and DB obviously. I don't know what to expect from this D other than they'll look to be ball-hawkers like Bo's other D's. The change in S&C should help some.

On O we just need a couple guys to step-up in terms of receiving. Swift will be a solid possession-guy but we need some playmaking and for somebody to step-up at TE. Hopefully that JUCO we landed can give us the TE-presence we've lacked since Herian got hurt.