SIGNED: LB C.J. Zimmerer

sign09.png

Player: C.J. Zimmerer

Hometown: Omaha, NE (Omaha Gross Catholic)

Position: LB

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 215 lbs.

40 time: 4.6

Bench max: 285 pounds

Squat max: 400 pounds

Vertical: 27 inches

Shuttle: 4.60 secs

Stats via Rivals

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska

Schools of Interest: Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Purdue, Stanford, Wyoming

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

C.J.-ZIMMERER-200-2-17-08.JPG

• 2 months later...

Looks like he has already committed. Film looks solid. On the surface seems like kind of a stretch and not a guy to get psyched-about. But there is no point in making a stretch-offer in Spring and he is only the second local to get an offer so it isn't like they are being willy-nilly in offering Nebraskans. Coaches must see something there and think he is a player.

I trust the coaches. They wouldn't offer him if they didn't think he had potential.

123 Tackles last year? At least he won't be running away from the ball carrier.

Nice quotes from his coach:

"He's a kid that gets stronger as the game goes on and you can really see that on film. That all comes back to his work ethic in the weight room. He's just a big, physical kid who's got a lot of growing to do yet. He's worked so much harder than other kids his age, he's just a man amongst boys." — Tim Johnk, Gross Catholic Head Football Coach

"He understands the game on both sides of the ball. He just understands what's happening in front of him, where a ball needs to be ran, what blocking scheme we are in on offense, and not every kid understands that at this level. I think he's a Division I player because of all those things he brings to the table, I really do." — Tim Johnk, Gross Catholic Head Football Coach

Err, never mind. He's a fullback.

Huskers add Omaha fullback to recruit list

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 02:43:34 pm CDT

Nebraskans love themselves a good fullback; even better if he happens to be a native son who appreciates a good collision along with his meat and potatoes.

Rathman, Schelsinger, Makovickas ... Zimmerer?

Yes, C.J. Zimmerer is ready to see what he can do.

Nebraska has added the Omaha Gross fullback to its recruiting list. Zimmerer becomes the fourth known commit of the 2009 class.

The Huskers offered the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Zimmerer last night and he accepted this morning. Zimmerer was also an all-state linebacker last season, but NU wants him as a fullback.

“Best football player I’ve coached in 16 years,” said Tim Johnk, head coach at Gross, also a former Husker fullback letterwinner from 1989-91.

“It’s really neat. They haven’t recruited a lot of fullbacks the last few years,” Johnk said. “It’s neat to see them get one of those big, tough Nebraska kids again.”

Johnk said no one had offered Zimmerer until the Huskers, but Iowa and Iowa State were expressing interest.

Zimmerer is the first recruit on the offensive side of the ball. He joins defensive tackles Thaddeus Randle (Galena Park, Texas) and Cole Pensick (Lincoln Northeast), and linebacker Shawn Bodtmann (Scranton, Pa.)