Come Clean all you Callahanahollics!

Bill Callahan Believers?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was very optimistic about last season until the Wake game. At that point I knew we were in trouble. I will never forget standing at the USC game, laughing at how pitiful it was (there was nothing else that seemed appropriate). I agree with an earlier post that the offense looked fine but thats when I figured we were in for a LOOOOONG defensive year.

Walking up to the stadium for the Iowa State game i was asked by someone how we gonna do today...my reply was "hopefully win" thats truly when my confidence was gone. I thought, and still do, that if he would have changed some things (new DC, give up play calling, put more faith in assistants) Cally may have worked out well here but we will never know.

Just to add my thoughts on the Mizzou debacle. I went to the store during half time, the game came back on the radio in the store and this was the first time i was not pissed about not being able to watch it. I got back and my friend was asleep, not passed out, in front of another game. such a sad sad day

When did you STOP believing in Callahan?

I'm pretty sure he exists.

But I remember after finding out he was drastically reducing the walk-on program...which had a direct effect on my Nephew, and previously having my Cousin walk-on to become a 3-year starter back when I was in school.

Led me to the unavoidable conclusion that these weren't going to be the Huskers that most of the country identified with...Smash-mouth no-name no stars that peaked while in College.

Then there was the scrapping of the 1st season or two to get "his players" in the system rather than adjusting his coaching to fit the players he already had. (Just so it would look more realistic to QB and WR recruits that we were indeed changing to a WCO?)

I was pleasantly surprised he pretty much kept up the graduation rates, but then again..How much of that was his doing?

After the 2006 USC game, I lost most all respect for his coaching philosophy.

I thought the 2006 season was when I started doubting Calllahan. It started when Callahan coached not to win but to not get blown out at USC. I thought Callahan was out coached most of that season. We were lucky to beat Kansas, Mizzou, Texas A & M, ect..... I thought Callahan was then horrible in the BIG 12 championship and should have apologized all off season to his team after the Auburn bowl debacle!

Callahan had absolutely no appreciation for the Nebraska tradition and what made us successful, and it showed in just about every bad decision he made in the Husker's culture.

Man I am glad he is gone!!! :restore

Never had faith in Callahan. He was, after all, the 4th or 5th choice and was hired in desperation. No Al Saunders, no Houston Nutt (not that Nutt was any good) or any of the others. Callahan was fired from the Raiders after a team mutiny, and Pederson hires him. Never embraced the team tradition. Crap-canned the walk-on program. Fired every good coach we had.

Good coaches mold the team's offense and defense around the players that they have, while trying to recruit the players for the system they eventually want. Not Bill! It's "only one game, only one season" and 40+ years of winning football goes down the drain.

I can't believe the blind faith that people put in him and his program. I've watched Nebraska football since 1960 and lost sleep when he was hired. Pederson was/is a control freak and Callahan is an arrogant moron.

I guess my vote is: when he was hired.