Bo makes the rounds

From journalstar.com:

Bo makes the rounds downtown

So, a variety of people saw head coach Bo Pelini making surprise visits to at least a couple Lincoln downtown taverns late Thursday night and/or early Friday morning, apparently on the lookout for players who might not be following team rules.

Quarterback Joe Ganz said a few days ago that players are barred from visiting various downtown bars for the rest of the semester.

"We're grown men," Ganz said. "We understand what we have to do to help us get there. Like all college kids, we like to go out and have fun with each other . . . But it's something we're going to have to sacrifice, and it's not really a big sacrifice to make if we want to do what we want to do."

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.ph...p;tb=1&pb=1

LOVE IT! These guys (most of them) are getting full rides and treated like royalty. I don't think it is asking too much of them to stay away from the bars. I realize they are college kids, and they like to have fun, but they need to learn priorities. Huskers football should be #1.

This being said, I know when I was in college, if someone told me I couldn't do something, I would have done it just to spite them. I hope we don't have any major situations come out of this, but I think we have a good group of guys, and I don't anticipate any issues.

TF

It's only certain bars they are banned from, the other bars are still open to them so they can get drunk and act an ass elsewhere.

This whole story has been blown out of proportion IMO. You have 100+ kids total in the program and regardless of the character you recruit you are going to have problems.

I played 5 years at USD and we would loose at least 5 a year, everything from drinking, assaults on girlfriends and even a big drug bust (steroids) but you shouldn't punish all for the actions of a few.

If they don't have their priorites straight, then cut the dead weight. You shouldn't have to treat 21 year olds like children. If your influence as a staff doesn't get through to the kids then things need to be re-evaluated.

I applaud Bo for taking a stand and hopefully in a few years he can get the type of athletes and character on this team that he is looking for , but I say make sure the kids know where you stand and what the consequences are if they break the rules.

Simple as that, banning them from bars and then running around to ensure they follow the rules is a elementary tactic.

Can you see Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant running around town to ensure their team rules were followed?? Hell no, they would boot them off the team and make it crystal clear to every player what was expected, with no exceptions .

It's only certain bars they are banned from, the other bars are still open to them so they can get drunk and act an ass elsewhere.

This whole story has been blown out of proportion IMO. You have 100+ kids total in the program and regardless of the character you recruit you are going to have problems.

I played 5 years at USD and we would loose at least 5 a year, everything from drinking, assaults on girlfriends and even a big drug bust (steroids) but you shouldn't punish all for the actions of a few.

If they don't have their priorites straight, then cut the dead weight. You shouldn't have to treat 21 year olds like children. If your influence as a staff doesn't get through to the kids then things need to be re-evaluated.

I applaud Bo for taking a stand and hopefully in a few years he can get the type of athletes and character on this team that he is looking for , but I say make sure the kids know where you stand and what the consequences are if they break the rules.

Simple as that, banning them from bars and then running around to ensure they follow the rules is a elementary tactic.

Can you see Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant running around town to ensure their team rules were followed?? Hell no, they would boot them off the team and make it crystal clear to every player what was expected, with no exceptions .

I think you're taking this a little to the extreme. He's merely making sure his players are following the rules he set. Nothing more.

I don't think that this is an elementary tactic. Bo is simply letting the players know that he is very serious and establishing himself as the man incharge. By making sure that the rules are followed, in the years to follow their won't be a need to check on the players because they will know that he means business.

I don't want to see it just be for this semester...I want it permanent. I know I sound like a party pooper, but I have seen enough of players getting stupid in bars. Anytime a player gets in trouble, it seems alcohol is present. I don't think it is too much to ask them to protect the good name of the University, if they want to drink, and are of age, then do it in private, where they can't be made a target by some stupid kid that wants to become famous overnight by getting into a fight with them.

How can you call this elementary? He is holding his players accountable. If that means he checks up on his players, so be it. Do you think it is elementary to have the coaches check to see if the players are going to class? I agree, you cannot stop everything, but you need to send a message. I applaud Bo for doing this....I am sure BC had no intention on checking on his players or even gave a sh*t about them.

Could you imagine the looks on one of those player's faces if they see Bo walk into the bar?

How can you call this elementary? He is holding his players accountable. If that means he checks up on his players, so be it. Do you think it is elementary to have the coaches check to see if the players are going to class? I agree, you cannot stop everything, but you need to send a message. I applaud Bo for doing this....I am sure BC had no intention on checking on his players or even gave a sh*t about them.

Could you imagine the looks on one of those player's faces if they see Bo walk into the bar?

i'm gonna guess fear and then trying to run out the back door...to run unto coach red bull. then they just sit there and take their lumps.