The Option Returning????

http://journalstar.com/articles/2008/04/08...22795958160.txt

Sorry the Link icon above wasn't working for some weird reason.

I posted the link of the webpage that talks about the option returning to the Husker offense. I really miss the option but IMO during Solich's days of coaching I thought that the option wasn't that great actually. I just seemed as the years went on, it seemed that everybody was stopping our option and that Solich couldn't do anything else for our running game. I just miss the old option back in the day.

So I'm really excited that they're bringing it back and hopefully Watson's group will bring back the old domination of the option package. So are you all excited about the option returning as I am?

Also in the above link they talk about Cody Glenn doing really well at Linebacker forcing a fumble in practice, getting an interception, and recovering a fumble I believe. Sounds like Cody is picking up the Linebacker postion pretty well so far :clap

I posted the link of the webpage that talks about the option returning to the Husker offense. I really miss the option but IMO during Solich's days of coaching I thought that the option wasn't that great actually. I just seemed as the years went on, it seemed that everybody was stopping our option and that Solich couldn't do anything else for our running game. I just miss the old option back in the day.

So I'm really excited that they're bringing it back and hopefully Watson's group will bring back the old domination of the option package. So are you all excited about the option returning as I am?

Yeah, I liked the option, but hopefully it isn't too integrated into the new offensive system. I think it would be a good addition to the offense, especially: Zone Read and QB Slot Option Read. I would also like to see the "regular" option (QB + HB) but disguised so it can come out of many different formations. These ideas would keep the defense on its toes, especially if mixed in with some different running plays and passing plays. Make that defense think! Whenever playing a sport, at least in my experience, the more you think, the more you over analyze. The more you over analyze, the more likely you are to make a mistake.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone.

Also in the above link they talk about Cody Glenn doing really well at Linebacker forcing a fumble in practice, getting an interception, and recovering a fumble I believe. Sounds like Cody is picking up the Linebacker postion pretty well so far :clap

Yep. Looks like Glenn might be taking some huge leaps towards the LB position.

We shall see though.

Doesn't suprise me in the least. But don't expect this to be a staple of the offense as in years past.

This staff is clearly proving themselves to be a staff that tailors the scheme to the players available and thus with Ganz's above average mobility it only makes sense to put in a few packages to maximize that talent.

That said, we may not have any option plays in the playbook the following year depending on who takes over for Joey, but we will more than likely have other plays installed that maximize that players skillset.

Michael I agree with you 110%. If we do bring back the option from what that article had stated, I think that we should use the option a few times. Cause it seemed like we used it a lot with Solich and the more we used it the more our oppenents grew accustomed to it. It's like they knew before the snap even started that we were going to run the option.

I think it would be wise if we threw the option in there every so often to keep the opposing team on its toes guessing.

I also agree with Michael. Using the option at opportune times could result into game changing plays. In my opinion, Solich relied to heavily on the option whereas Osborne didn't even run it 50% of the time. Osborne ran a power running offense using mostly 2 and 3 back sets. NU was considered an option offense because when it was ran, it was effective and called at the right time. I miss watching Osborne set up a defense and then burn them with the fullback or the option pass to the tightend. But, there was a few games Osborne did run the option alot but that was because the opponent couldn't stop it and why change it when the game is being dominated.

Great to hear about Glenn. Hopefully this continues, we need all the playmakers on defense that we can get.

Yeah, I liked the option, but hopefully it isn't too integrated into the new offensive system. I think it would be a good addition to the offense, especially: Zone Read and QB Slot Option Read. I would also like to see the "regular" option (QB + HB) but disguised so it can come out of many different formations. These ideas would keep the defense on its toes, especially if mixed in with some different running plays and passing plays. Make that defense think! Whenever playing a sport, at least in my experience, the more you think, the more you over analyze. The more you over analyze, the more likely you are to make a mistake.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone.

Yep. Looks like Glenn might be taking some huge leaps towards the LB position.

We shall see though.

I agree with your idea of what the option should be. We will not be seeing the traditional I formation triple option. But, a zone read type of option will really help spread some defenses out an open up a lot of things for the offense. I am looking forward to seeing it!

Doesn't suprise me in the least. But don't expect this to be a staple of the offense as in years past.

This staff is clearly proving themselves to be a staff that tailors the scheme to the players available and thus with Ganz's above average mobility it only makes sense to put in a few packages to maximize that talent.

That said, we may not have any option plays in the playbook the following year depending on who takes over for Joey, but we will more than likely have other plays installed that maximize that players skillset.

Anybody remember when everyone knew what we were going to run, and we still made big yards anyway? The defenses adjusted, they had people where they should be, but we just blew over or around them. Those were the days...

Actually, almost all teams have a variation of the "option" installed in their playbooks. This is not always the traditional option like Crouch used to run, but could be a hand-off out of the shotgun, for example.

Someone mentioned earlier the QB-read play. This is essentially the "option" in the literal sense; the QB has the option to distribute or run himself. West Virginia and Oregon both did this frequently last year.

I played at Northwestern University, and in our shotgun spread offense we practiced the option every day (both the traditional pitch-to-HB style and the QB-read style). This is despite the fact that we ran it under three times a game, and that our offense was predicated on misdirection runs and short passing out of the shotgun.

Anybody remember when everyone knew what we were going to run, and we still made big yards anyway? The defenses adjusted, they had people where they should be, but we just blew over or around them. Those were the days...

Yeah, but times change, and defenses get quicker.

T.O. also knew what type of player needed to be at each position to make the offense successful. He has been out of coaching for so long, I forgot what a great coach/play caller he was...especially in the mid 90s.

I can see it now:

First offensive snap of the season, stacked in the I formation, Ganz reads the defense hands the ball to the fullback up the middle and fakes the option to the outside.

Man wouldn't Memorial Stadium just erupt. Two previously defunct staples of Nebraska Football, the Option and the fullback actually carrying the ball.

The only problem is the muddle of players at FB.