Could Nebraska sell out a 100k stadium?

Not a chance.

If it could be done it would be in planning and we would not have the high end luxury boxes going in instead.

Expansion is done by projected numbers. Plus that old girl would most likely fall down if tried. The waiting list is not 20 thousand long guys no matter how bad you want to believe. It is about money and if it was there they would figure a way to get it. Not enough numbers so build the boxes and charge enough to make up for the short fall.

Just business guys. Just money. At least that is MHO.

agree with you on this one 'skers'.......only way to get 100,000 people at a NU game in Lincoln will be to build a brand new stadium......which wont happen unless Buffet ponies up some serious cash

I don't understand all this talk about it being "structurally possible" that's a load of bull that someone evidently said on the spread and you all take it to heart. How was west stadium that much more structurally sound than east? It wasn't. All you would have to do is add another structure to the east of east stadium, would be a great place for Dr. Toms Husker Hall-O-Fame. Better concessions, etc. Then you put bleachers on top of it. It could be done. Nothing said that the existing structure would have to support any more weight. It's like building an addition to a house, sure you can make it so that your house is supporting more weight, but that's the wrong way to do it.

I don't understand all this talk about it being "structurally possible" that's a load of bull that someone evidently said on the spread and you all take it to heart. How was west stadium that much more structurally sound than east? It wasn't. All you would have to do is add another structure to the east of east stadium, would be a great place for Dr. Toms Husker Hall-O-Fame. Better concessions, etc. Then you put bleachers on top of it. It could be done. Nothing said that the existing structure would have to support any more weight. It's like building an addition to a house, sure you can make it so that your house is supporting more weight, but that's the wrong way to do it.

Didn't they have a partial colapse of South Stadium around the beginning of The last coaches tenure? ( I can't remember his name off the top of my head).

I was 1st told about it by my best friend down the street from Memorial, but I think I also read about it later.

He was trying to blame me for it because every time I went back, we'd run steps.

Sure you could build stadium expansions on "stilts" away from the main structure, and supply everyone that sits in them with a telescope or some kickass Binoculars, but the seasick would revolt (from the swaying).

I'd just as soon, watch it on TV.

I think NU could sell out...the question is, does NU want that many seats? It would be nice to have a stadium the size of Michigan and Notre Dame, but I am not sure the University wants that. Would it take away from the mystique of the East side? As it was stated earlier, change is not easily accepted and if the East side were to change, I am sure there would be some very unhappy people.

I think we could. But Husker37 is right, there is no way it would even be structurally possible to add that many seats.

U know what that means then. Time for a new Stadium.

Dont kill me for sayin that.

Ben

:clap I was going to suggest that, but knew that someone would draw and quarter me after they just spent all the millions that they did revamping the old place. Besides, if we were to tear down Memorial Stadium, we would lose some of our tradition...so I think we need to incorporate at least part of it into the new stadium if we were to build one....kind of like they did with Yankee Stadium in New York.

I am ready to start accepting donations towards the building fund....PM me for my personal address, and you can make the checks out to me...and I will make sure they go where they need to go. :clap

The fanbase could definitely support a 100k plus capacity, the problem is where to add those seats. East Stadium is a historical landmark which makes it extremely difficult to do much to it as stands as far as modifying the existing structure at ground level - however that existing structure alone is not strong enough to be built directly above without some sort of support being built behind it.

South Stadium probably will be redone, however the problem still exists with where to add seating, you don't really want to extend further south but going skyward poses its own problems both structurally and aesthetically. Sure we could just mirror the North endzone with more skyboxes, but do we really need more skyboxes or do we want more regular seating?

The other problem is where are all these new patrons going to park? Parking is already fairly limited surrounding the stadium and 20k+ more may be utter chaos without more planning and parking complexes being built in addition to the stadium itself.