Pelini, Husker football need tougher standards

Staff Editorial, Daily Nebraskan Apr 14, 3:01 pm EDT

(UWIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.—In his short time as Nebraska’s football coach, Bo Pelini has won the adoration of fans and the accolades of sportswriters. They love his attitude, energy and commitment to the program.

Lately, there have been glowing stories about Pelini patrolling classrooms and bars, making sure players are in staying in the former, and staying out of the latter.

While his actions to keep players out of trouble are commendable, it’s how he has handled players once they are in trouble that is problematic to say the least.

Maybe the guiding philosophy is "boys will be boys."

His handling—or non-handling—of a recent situation involving a scholarship recruit scheduled to join the team in the fall highlights this boy’s club mentality.

Josh Williams, a highly-ranked defensive end recruit out of Denton, Texas, was arrested last week for assault and robbery. He stands accused of approaching a Denton man as he sat in his pickup, punching him in the face and then robbing him of $900.

Despite Williams being released from jail Thursday, Pelini has had no comment on the situation.

This is eerily reminiscent of a situation during the Bill Callahan era, when scholarship recruit Major Culbert was charged with first-degree sexual assault and burglary. Police reports indicated he pinned a woman against a wall—against her will—and touched her sexually.

In an amazing show of compassion, the victim agreed to lesser charges so that Culbert would be able to attend college, rather than being sent to prison.

Troubled recruits lead to troubled players.

Pelini began his trend of downplaying altercations involving football players early on in his tenure when quarterback Patrick Witt was arrested after showing up in a dormitory intoxicated and belligerent, shoving an RA and then fleeing from police.

Pelini said the matter would be handled internally and was never spoken of again.

Andy Christensen stands as the sole exception to this policy of inaction. He was suspended after being arrested for sexually assaulting a woman by penetration in a bar downtown, and he will face prison time if found guilty.

As players, these students are given a full scholarship, free books as well as free room and board. It is a privilege for them to be on the team, not a right.

When a coach invites players to join our university community and keeps them here after committing acts of violence, he sends the message that such behavior is acceptable and will even be rewarded by a scholarship.

Players should not be invited to our university and given the benefit of a full scholarship if they have a history of violence. If players on the team violate the trust of the community through violence, they should be removed from the team immediately.

Internal discipline just won’t cut it.

It is about time that someone realizes what these kids are in college for. Most will never see the NFL, or even be considered, it is vital that they get a good education. :clap

i was wondering when someone was going to post this article. Pelini has one chance to get it right.....he has some guys hanging out with some problems hanging over their heads......what he does with this discipline issue in his first season will set the tone and theme for the kind of athlete we recruit. we don't need thugs at NU, no matter how talented they may be.

i was wondering when someone was going to post this article. Pelini has one chance to get it right.....he has some guys hanging out with some problems hanging over their heads......what he does with this discipline issue in his first season will set the tone and theme for the kind of athlete we recruit. we don't need thugs at NU, no matter how talented they may be.

:corndance Let them go to Colorado!! :corndance

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. It may not always be right to boot players off the team after they do something like this.

Recall a similar situation: Lawrence Phillips threw his ex-girlfriend down a stairwell in 1995 and really caused some serious harm. Despite a large public outcry, Coach Osborne kept him on the team because he felt that the positive environment and structure of the football program would be more beneficial than letting Phillips fend for himself.

Now, Josh Williams hasn't even been convicted yet, and half the people on the board are ready to revoke his scholarship. Let due process run its course people. Even if he is guilty, keeping him on the team and around good mentors like Pelini and Ron Brown could be the best way to help this guy's life. Think about it before we go on this witch hunt against "thugs."

Recall a similar situation: Lawrence Phillips threw his ex-girlfriend down a stairwell in 1995 and really caused some serious harm. Despite a large public outcry, Coach Osborne kept him on the team because he felt that the positive environment and structure of the football program would be more beneficial than letting Phillips fend for himself.

That worked...

Former NFL and Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted Tuesday of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon for driving a car at a group of young men, injuring three.

The 31-year-old Phillips drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum after losing a pickup football game on Aug. 21, 2005. He struck two boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man and narrowly missed four others between 15 and 24 years old, according to the prosecutor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2620745

That worked...

Former NFL and Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips was convicted Tuesday of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon for driving a car at a group of young men, injuring three.

The 31-year-old Phillips drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum after losing a pickup football game on Aug. 21, 2005. He struck two boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man and narrowly missed four others between 15 and 24 years old, according to the prosecutor.

I was making a comparison between Pelini and Osborne's philosophies regarding trouble makers, not providing a defense of Lawrence Phillips' character. I think you missed the point.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. It may not always be right to boot players off the team after they do something like this.

Now, Josh Williams hasn't even been convicted yet, and half the people on the board are ready to revoke his scholarship. Let due process run its course people. Even if he is guilty, keeping him on the team and around good mentors like Pelini and Ron Brown could be the best way to help this guy's life. Think about it before we go on this witch hunt against "thugs."

I was making a comparison between Pelini and Osborne's philosophies regarding trouble makers, not providing a defense of Lawrence Phillips' character. I think you missed the point.

The big difference is Tom had a relationship with LP..Felt responsible for him with his care and feeding.

Josh may have a limited relationship with Cosgrove during recruiting and even less with Pelini.

It'd be nice to be able to help all of these kids out, but you got to take care of your own 1st (Or something else more selfish sounding).

Give the scholarship to a deserving walk-on.

That worked...

With all due respect, I didn't miss the point. Phillips was coddled here at NU, coddled by Dick Vermeil at the Rams, coddled everywhere he went because he could (when he felt like it) produce on the field. Maybe some early discipline would have kept him out of prison.

(Former St. Louisan and Rams fan who dreaded hearing that the Rams drafted that thug).

Why are so many people getting all worked up over this? Just because Pelini hasn't said anything publicly doesn't mean something hasn't been or won't be done. The DN is always looking for a reason to complain. In this case they're manufacturing one.

You'll notice they're not upset with Pelini about a decision he's made regarding Williams. They're upset because he hasn't publicly thrown the kid under the bus. For all we know Bo might have quietly pulled Williams's scholarship already.

And by the way... I think its a low blow for the article to reference Major Culbert. Why should we be upset that he's in Lincoln? I think he makes a good example of a kid who has made the most of a second chance. As far as I know he's been a model citizen and a great teammate since he arrived on campus.

With all due respect, I didn't miss the point. Phillips was coddled here at NU, coddled by Dick Vermeil at the Rams, coddled everywhere he went because he could (when he felt like it) produce on the field. Maybe some early discipline would have kept him out of prison.

(Former St. Louisan and Rams fan who dreaded hearing that the Rams drafted that thug).

Yeah, it's a tough balancing act. I don't think there's a cookie-cutter approach to discipline.

Some kids are genuinely good people who make a few bad choices and get in to trouble. In those cases, the embarrassment they feel at letting their teammates down and a mild suspension is probably punishment enough.

With others, like LP, they just don't care, and discipline that makes them realize theyre at risk of losing everything is the only way to deal with them.

Unfortunately, it's dificult to determine which route to go, especially for a first-year coach who's not as familiar with his players. Plus, doling out different levels of punishment is perceived as unfair and threatens team unity. No doubt in my mind that this is the toughest part of being a college coach.

This is freaking stupid, whomever at the DN wrote this knows jack.

Christensen is already a member of the team so he got suspended. WILLIAMS IS NOT ON THE TEAM YET, you can't suspend him. Bo would suspend Williams if he could. All you can do is yank his schollie, and yanking it ignores the fact you are SUPPOSED to be considered innocent til proven guilty. We gotta wait to see how this Williams-business plays-out, from what I understand the charges may be trumped-up.

It should also be noted that Bo likely knows significantly more about Christensen's incident than Williams's, so he has more from which to make a judgment on.

Why are so many people getting all worked up over this? Just because Pelini hasn't said anything publicly doesn't mean something hasn't been or won't be done. The DN is always looking for a reason to complain. In this case they're manufacturing one.

You'll notice they're not upset with Pelini about a decision he's made regarding Williams. They're upset because he hasn't publicly thrown the kid under the bus. For all we know Bo might have quietly pulled Williams's scholarship already.

And by the way... I think its a low blow for the article to reference Major Culbert. Why should we be upset that he's in Lincoln? I think he makes a good example of a kid who has made the most of a second chance. As far as I know he's been a model citizen and a great teammate since he arrived on campus.

I concur. Yes, I'd feel so much more comfortable if we had a coach who yanked a scholarship from a player based on allegations. What exactly do people want Bo to say? He's not in Texas. He's not directly involved with the situation. I'd rather see justice done than the mob throwing the kid under the bus. If it turns out he did it the way it's been described, it's Bo's decision. If he wants the kid to play, to give him a second chance to make something of his life, I can understand that. If he decides that it's not worth the risk and shame to the program, I'll understand that. Bottom line, none of us are the coach. We don't have to look a kid in the eyes after he's made a huge mistake and tell him his future in football is over.

Christensen is already a member of the team so he got suspended. WILLIAMS IS NOT ON THE TEAM YET, you can't suspend him. Bo would suspend Williams if he could. All you can do is yank his schollie, and yanking it ignores the fact you are SUPPOSED to be considered innocent til proven guilty. We gotta wait to see how this Williams-business plays-out, from what I understand the charges may be trumped-up.

It should also be noted that Bo likely knows significantly more about Christensen's incident than Williams's, so he has more from which to make a judgment on.

You beat me to it!!!! This article is worthless because it portrays Bo in the wrong light. It makes it look like, already, he is going to let them get away with anything. That's so far from the truth it's ridiculous. He has to wait for all the facts and make his decision from there.

i agree, for the most part, some situations have to play themselves out, with the facts. the simple point i hope Bo makes is, if you come here and screw up your ass is gone. that and hopefully we are doing some background checks on recruits where and to the extent when possible, to "keep the garden weed free" before the wind has a chance to blow in bad seed. maintaining a respectful program will always be paramount in my mind.

You beat me to it!!!! This article is worthless because it portrays Bo in the wrong light. It makes it look like, already, he is going to let them get away with anything. That's so far from the truth it's ridiculous. He has to wait for all the facts and make his decision from there.

:yeah:yeah

:yeah:yeah