RB David Oku

...why does his choice of school show whether or not he is a prima donna?

:dunno 'Cause it was the school he had picked in October and then reconfirmed later after Kiffin was hired? And more than 2000 other kids were able to figure out their school before the end of February? Of course he apparently had some family issues so maybe that's what took so long. Anyway, good luck to him (except if he plays Nebraska .. or any other team for that matter; I f'ing hate Tenn.)

...why does his choice of school show whether or not he is a prima donna?

:dunno 'Cause it was the school he had picked in October and then reconfirmed later after Kiffin was hired? And more than 2000 other kids were able to figure out their school before the end of February? Of course he apparently had some family issues so maybe that's what took so long. Anyway, good luck to him (except if he plays Nebraska .. or any other team for that matter; I f'ing hate Tenn.)

We play Tennesse in 2016 and 2017, he will be long gone before those games are played.

f'ing hillbilly schools and sarcastic blogs:

Oku in Lincoln 'only for grades':

LINCOLN — David Oku is out of the blinding public spotlight, relatively speaking, but there is no time for him to relax.

The hyped football recruit signed and faxed a letter of intent to Tennessee on March 5, but the climactic end to a lengthy recruiting process still could be months away.

Instead of would-be tacklers, the obstacles for Oku now are academic deficiencies that prompted his surprise transfer to a Lincoln high school last month. And he is still dogged by those who wonder, "Why Lincoln?"

Oku, who declined to be interviewed personally or on the phone, said in a series of e-mail and text messages over the past three weeks that it's all about academics.

In one of the season's more bizarre recruiting stories, Oku enrolled at Lincoln East on Feb. 23 to improve his grades — not to continue a relationship with a girlfriend, he said. The heralded running back from Midwest City, Okla., adamantly denies reports that he came to Lincoln to live with a girl.

"I've been hearing that since the story broke loose," Oku wrote in an e-mail. "I'm just here to go to school and graduate."

He is without his parents, though they remain supportive, according to Oku. Lincoln Public Schools officials confirmed that they do have on file a required notarized document signed by Oku's parents granting permission for him to enroll in the district.

Oku says he's staying with family in Lincoln.

While Oku would not divulge his academic record, circumstances indicate he has work to do before enrolling at Tennessee. Still, was it necessary to leave an Oklahoma City high school for one in Lincoln?

Statistics lend some credence to the move.

The composite ACT test score of Lincoln East students in 2008 was 24.7, higher than the Nebraska average (22.1), higher than the national average (21.1) and higher than all but one school in Oklahoma.

Graduating seniors at Oku's former school, Carl Albert, ranked in the top 20 percent among 441 Oklahoma schools, with an average score of 20.7.

Lincoln East offers 198 classes approved by the NCAA Eligibility Center High School Review staff that can be used to meet the NCAA's basic class requirement. Prospective athletes must complete one full year of 16 recognized core courses. Carl Albert offers 96 such classes.

Carl Albert's principal, Dr. Silvya Kirk, did not respond to multiple messages seeking comment about the school's academic opportunities.

According to Oku, East is a step up.

"Lincoln East offered more classes than Carl Albert," he wrote in an e-mail, "so it will give me an even better chance to raise my GPA."

The higher Oku's GPA, the lower the ACT score he needs to meet NCAA eligibility requirements. The NCAA uses a sliding scale, matching cumulative GPAs with appropriate minimums on the nation's standardized tests.

Oku said he attends seven classes a day at Lincoln East. He said Carl Albert offered just four classes a day. He said he's also preparing for his next try at the ACT.

It's not unheard of for high school students, even seniors, to relocate during the academic year, according to NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne. As long as the student graduates on time and the "combination of coursework from the original and new high school" meets NCAA standards, the student likely will be deemed eligible.

For the next few months, Oku said, his course load will be his total focus. School was something he found hard to concentrate on before signing with Tennessee in early March, 29 days after the majority of football recruits officially chose their colleges.

Oku was finding it difficult to escape the outside attention from college football media and fans.

He was a topic of conversation on national Internet blogs and popular social networking sites. One blog sarcastically posted fake photos of Oku's supposed girlfriend.

He had daily calls and text messages from coaches and reporters. To callers with strange numbers, he'd sometimes answer with a false name.

At Lincoln East, he was one of five new students his first week, but the only one who was an Internet media star. Whispers swirled about the new guy who was supposedly a football star but who never spoke about the sport. And at 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, Oku didn't exactly look like the stereotypical top-rated, major college prospect.

But to those who purport to know football talent, Oku's the real deal.

Rated as the nation's No. 1 all-purpose back by Rivals.com, Oku rushed for nearly 2,000 yards and recorded 23 touchdowns during his final season at Carl Albert. He was all-state the last two years in Oklahoma.

Numerous college teams were interested, including Nebraska at one point. He did give Nebraska an official visit, but Oku says he had not seriously considered coach Bo Pelini's Huskers since fall.

Oku won't be showcasing his athletic ability at Lincoln East this spring.

He told John Gingery, who coaches the school's football and track teams, that he wouldn't be joining the Spartan track and field team.

Oku's focus is academics. That's why he's in Nebraska.

"God has blessed me to be in a great place," he said in an e-mail. "I took advantage of my chance."

And then, if all goes well, David Oku will be off to Tennessee.

• 10 months later...

Remember how bad we all wanted this guy last year? Well, good ole Mega Douche (now at USC... hint hint) utilized Oku horribly last year. Guess he didn't care bout anyones eligibility, as he already knew he wanted out. Oku produced only two TD's last year and failed to even break 100 yards on the season, posting only 93. Bad use of the kid's first year.

Makes me glad we got a quality RB like Sexy Rexy (and that he didn't end up like Sam McGuffie at Michigan). I admit, I only made that comparison cuz they are both white. But, people have compared their games in the past.

• Fire 1