RB David Oku

IMO, Bo should at least talk to the kid to see where he stands.

I agree that our RB class is pretty good. Personally, I am as excited for Rex Burkhead than I am for Cody Green and Chris Williams. That being said, you can't let a talent like Oku just sit in Lincoln and not talk to him. The kid is a stud, his videos show ridiculous speed and vision. Talk to the kid, if he expresses any drama crap to Bo then say goodbye and good luck.

:rant

:yeah

I'm so sick of hearing everyone rant about how "this kid is a prima donna and doesn't derseve a phone call from Bo".

1.) We're in no way, shape, or form at a position right now where we can turn away top talent like this. Our team has One, yes, ONE, UNO, home run threat offensively. (Helu) Our offense doesn't scare anybody because of our lack of speed. I'm real disappointed in the recruiting of our WR's, we need a real playmaker. (a Maclin, Crabtree, Bryant, Iglesias, Cosby/Shipley, Briscoe, Jordy Nelson)...I kinda got off topic, but my point is, we need all the playmakers we can get, and we should be pushing hard for Oku to be N.

2.) True or False, Dr. Tom recruited players to win, and didn't shy away from players who had character issues.

I'm 19, and definitely wouldn't. But I live for God so I have no desire to.. :dunno

So what exactly does this statement mean?

You're 19 and haven't hit puberty yet and still find girls icky?

God has taken away any sex drive that you have/had?

You think having premarital relations is wrong?

I just want a clarification so if it is number one or two I can make fun of you and if it is number three I can help you express that thought better the next time the subject arises.

According to the bible, it is wrong. So if you are going to bash his religon, you can take you're crap elsewhere. So tell us, how are you going to help him express it ? Yeah kid, just go out and bang every chick you can, and don't worry about you're Christian faith. I'm sure you would bash Tim Tebow as well.

Why does everyone have to be Christian to be a good person? According to the bible, there are also talking snakes. But I digress.

I wanted to note that as weird as this whole Oku story is, it does not mean he is a prima donna as people are implying. Again, normal kids make their college choices by May 1st. It's just the move and the reasons he put out that don't completely make sense, but the coaches know more about his character than we do.

Also can anyone confirm that contact has been established?

What are you talking about? Where in my response did I say you have to be a Christian to be a good person? The kid was being bashed for saying he lives for Gods will. The subject was dropped, but you're comment has me very confused.

I'm so sick of hearing everyone rant about how "this kid is a prima donna and doesn't derseve a phone call from Bo".

1.) We're in no way, shape, or form at a position right now where we can turn away top talent like this. Our team has One, yes, ONE, UNO, home run threat offensively. (Helu) Our offense doesn't scare anybody because of our lack of speed. I'm real disappointed in the recruiting of our WR's, we need a real playmaker. (a Maclin, Crabtree, Bryant, Iglesias, Cosby/Shipley, Briscoe, Jordy Nelson)...I kinda got off topic, but my point is, we need all the playmakers we can get, and we should be pushing hard for Oku to be N.

2.) True or False, Dr. Tom recruited players to win, and didn't shy away from players who had character issues.

When, if ever again will there be the top 2 HS RBs in the nation so close to Lincoln?? And still haven't signed. TO, Cally would be all over BB and Oku. Even if both stated they didn't have interest in NU, they don't stop recruiting them. That's what sales is.

BO is gonna have to get used to going after highly rated players/committed players to other schools and sell them on NU if he will survive. I agree coaching is a big part of the formula, but NU needs talent. Cally rolled the dice with Brandon Jackson/Marlon Lucky and they both turned out to be quality, quality players for NU. Both NFL players. Bo has to go after these type of recruits.

When, if ever again will there be the top 2 HS RBs in the nation so close to Lincoln?? And still haven't signed. TO, Cally would be all over BB and Oku. Even if both stated they didn't have interest in NU, they don't stop recruiting them. That's what sales is.

BO is gonna have to get used to going after highly rated players/committed players to other schools and sell them on NU if he will survive. I agree coaching is a big part of the formula, but NU needs talent. Cally rolled the dice with Brandon Jackson/Marlon Lucky and they both turned out to be quality, quality players for NU. Both NFL players. Bo has to go after these type of recruits.

A few things...Tom may have brought in some players that he knew faced multiple challenges in life, and I believe he felt he had the ability to set them on the right course. And he did. But trust me, there are plenty of players he just simply didn't recruit for reasons we won't know.

Secondly, what chance did Bill Callahan take with Brandon Jackson and Marlon Lucky? Brandon received a scholarship offer only because he was the best option that remained after the coaching change in a throw-away class. He never had any character issues, and continued to show class through out his time at Nebraska. If anything, Brandon, along with Zach Taylor, was the diamond in the rough in that "roll the dice," class. No one expected many of them to be talented compared to the following class. If anything, Jackson was underused.

And how did Bill Callahan "roll the dice" on Marlon Lucky? He was the nations second-rated running back, who had been widely recruited. There were no commitment issues at the time, because Marlon stated his loyalties, and followed through on signing day, before going on to a very successful career.

Regardless of where David Oku ends up, you are comparing apples to oranges.

I dont think we know enough about the kid to say if he is a character problem or not.... that being said if he is a person of questionable character I still think we shy away. lets not forget we already have burkhead in this class who is a similar type of player and talent.

Good point on recruiting, but Briscoe was an under the radar recruit, and Jordy Nelson was a walk on.

Some of Dr. Toms player had issues in college, but I have never seen evidence that he recruited players with character issues out of high school. Its not like college coaches have access to psychiatrists, like they do in the pros to evalulate them. So I say false. Are you saying we should go after kids we know are thugs just to win?

What are you talking about? Where in my response did I say you have to be a Christian to be a good person? The kid was being bashed for saying he lives for Gods will. The subject was dropped, but you're comment has me very confused.

I apologize. I misread part of your statement and thought you were criticizing the other poster for not worrying about /his/ christian faith.

I'm 19, and definitely wouldn't. But I live for God so I have no desire to.. :dunno

So what exactly does this statement mean?

You're 19 and haven't hit puberty yet and still find girls icky?

God has taken away any sex drive that you have/had?

You think having premarital relations is wrong?

I just want a clarification so if it is number one or two I can make fun of you and if it is number three I can help you express that thought better the next time the subject arises.

According to the bible, it is wrong. So if you are going to bash his religon, you can take you're crap elsewhere. So tell us, how are you going to help him express it ? Yeah kid, just go out and bang every chick you can, and don't worry about you're Christian faith. I'm sure you would bash Tim Tebow as well.

Why does everyone have to be Christian to be a good person? According to the bible, there are also talking snakes. But I digress.

I wanted to note that as weird as this whole Oku story is, it does not mean he is a prima donna as people are implying. Again, normal kids make their college choices by May 1st. It's just the move and the reasons he put out that don't completely make sense, but the coaches know more about his character than we do.

Also can anyone confirm that contact has been established?

OK. Not my intention to start the holy war but there was not anyone being bashed. Good for him if he believes that he should not have premarital relations. I never pointed at that. I pointed at how that thought was poorly conveyed if that was what he was trying to say.

If it is the first or second choice I provided then yes it is laughable. The humor of the first one should be self evident. The humor in the second one stems from the fact that he would have to have no sex drive for the fairer sex (also construed as no physical attraction). If this is the case then I would say he is one of the few people who have conquered the wants of the flesh. (for the record I don't think it is the case)

Next.

Cough cough.... TOPIC...

:cop:

Don't make him turn this thing around.

:backtotopic

Blog post from the Syracuse perspective. I think the info from the University about NLI time frames is very interesting. Apparently this could go on until fall:

Syracuse, NY -- It's now three weeks since national letter-of-intent signing day and Oklahoma high school running back David Oku seems no closer today to making a decision on where he wants to attend college. Oku says he's choosing between Syracuse, Auburn and Tennessee, though Ole Miss seems to have crept into the picture. The story took a bizarre turn this week when Oku checked out of high school in Midwest City and transferred to a school in Lincoln, Neb.

"I don't have a leader at all, anything like that," Oku told The Lincoln Journal Star. "My whole thing is I'm focused on school. I'm really not too worried about football right now...Recruiting's been dead really."

Lots of you are wondering how long the recruitment can go on. Isn't there a time limit?

Well, yes and no on the time limit. Yes, the deadline for signing a national letter-of-intent is April 1. No, a recruit can bypass the date and still join a team in August.

I asked Syracuse University for some insight about the process. While the school cannot comment specifically about Oku, it can and did provide some background to the length of time a recruit can take to make a decision.

From Sue Edson, Syracuse University's assistant director of athletics for communications:

"The prospective student-athlete and his or her parent/legal guardian must sign the NLI and accompanying offer of athletics financial aid within 14 days after the date of issuance. If this signing deadline is not met, the letter will be invalid. In the event that the 14 day signing deadline has expired, another NLI and grant-in-aid letter may be issued within the appropriate signing period. A signed NLI and offer of athletics financial aid must be filed with the conference office within 21 days after the date of the final signature. If this filing deadline is not met, the letter will be declared invalid.

"The regular signing period for football is February 4 to April 1.

"A prospective student-athlete does not have to sign a NLI or GIA agreement prior to reporting to pre-season. The program to which he reports must have room within their 105 pre-season limit and must be admitted to the institution and accepted their offer for admission. Assuming those things have happened, as long as he meets Initial Eligibility Requirements, he can participate in practice."

The Facebook group "David Oku to Syracuse" has topped 500 members.

Also, the last blog entry by Charles Goldberg of The Birmingham News regarding Oku has created 280-plus comments. That's down from the 448 comments posted after Monday's blog offering about Mr. Oku.

A few things...Tom may have brought in some players that he knew faced multiple challenges in life, and I believe he felt he had the ability to set them on the right course. And he did. But trust me, there are plenty of players he just simply didn't recruit for reasons we won't know.

Secondly, what chance did Bill Callahan take with Brandon Jackson and Marlon Lucky? Brandon received a scholarship offer only because he was the best option that remained after the coaching change in a throw-away class. He never had any character issues, and continued to show class through out his time at Nebraska. If anything, Brandon, along with Zach Taylor, was the diamond in the rough in that "roll the dice," class. No one expected many of them to be talented compared to the following class. If anything, Jackson was underused.

And how did Bill Callahan "roll the dice" on Marlon Lucky? He was the nations second-rated running back, who had been widely recruited. There were no commitment issues at the time, because Marlon stated his loyalties, and followed through on signing day, before going on to a very successful career.

Regardless of where David Oku ends up, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Cally rolled the dice on both Brandon Jackson and Marlon Lucky in the same arena that BO would be rolling the dice on Oku, both Jackson and Lucky were extreme long shots to qualify academically. Brandon Jackson was not a diamond in the ruff, he was a highly rated RB that Blake pulled out of MS. So what difference would Bo be rolling the dice on the nations's number 2 rated running back, Oku, like Cally did with Lucky??

Nothing about Oku's character should be criticized by some anonymous BBS poster on any site. This is exactly the correct comparison in comparing Oku to Lucky/Jackson as all 3 have academic issues and all 3 were highly recruited players.

Look at the Houston Nutt, he signed 37 and still possibly counting if Oku signs with Ole Miss.

Nebraska isn't in a position not to be going after these type of talented players, they to have to roll the dice with them to since there are no longer prop 48s, which TO took advantage of.