Husker Secondary

It was pretty obvious when we played that, aside from the DL not getting pressure on the QB (which, arguably, they didn't do too bad a job with against the Cyclones) the big problems were the LB's, who couldn't cover worth a crap...and Bowman, who basically got beat like a drum on four or five plays.

Myer spent the whole game dumping short passes over the middle (until the very end during desperation time)...getting 5 or 6 yards every time. Octavian was adequate but Rudd and McKeon had receivers beating them left and right. They got 19 passes of 15 yards or less dumped on them. Barksma (our TE) had a field day...Murillo had his troubles too along with Bowman. NU did win the game but most of that was on a couple of fumbles and an interception. ISU...ISU for god's sake...still outgained NU in this game...mostly on short passes dumped over the middle.

Getting a whole new LB corp could be the best thing to happen to this secondary...and the defense as a whole.

The only problem with the "whole new LB corps" hypothesis is that the replacement LB's need to have skills. Look at what NU likely will field --- Dillard, Lawrence and Wortman. These three, athletically speaking and taken as a whole (in terms of speed, size, quickness) are unlikely to rank in the top 8 of the B12. So, I appreciete that one might think anything has to be better than last years LB'ers --- but maybe no.

What was the problem with the Husker secondary last year? They were filled with talent but struggled all season. Andre Jones and Cortney Grixby started the entire 2006-2007 season and the Huskers were able it to make both the Big XII championship and the Cotton Bowl. 2007-2008 season came around and they both struggled to get on the field. Senior captain Zack Bowman didn't get much p/t either. Tierre Green was also a starter in 06-07 so I really do not understanding where the problems came from. Was the loss of Andrew Shanle the problem? Did Jones, Grixby, Bowman, and Green all digress? Was it the lack of a pass rush?

What was the problem and what should Coz have done to fix it?

I think the problem was lack of pass rush. Alot of the QBs had all day back in the pocket, which made it easy for them to go through each progression, and then throw it to the open man.

It's a little different story when you have 2 or 3 guys chasing you down. You just don't have that time to go through the progressions. You can either: run for your life, throw it away, take the sack, or try to force a play (which can lead to turnovers).

If our defense wants to have a halfway decent performance this year, the front four will have to step up big-time.

I completely agree about our subpar D-line last year--it was quite obvious. But I wouldn't say we were 'loaded' with talent in the secondary either. Grix had a better year, but Green wasn't very effective and Bowman was going at seemingly 1/2 speed. A. Jones didn't do a whole lot either. They didn't have too many INTs and it seemed most of those were by Bo Ruud.

It just seemed like they were either out of position, or not covering very tight, and not contesting receivers very well thoughout the year. Combine that with horrific tackling(all D to blame there) and a general lack of fire and, well, have I left anything out........? :dunno

our green line backers will hurt us this year, no doubt about it, but i doubt any quitters will be allowed on the field......we will start slow and should improve somewhat as the season moves on.....7-5 due to this obstacle....but improvement over 5-7...

Hunter:

you are one of the few realistic posters out there. I agree --- if NU pulls a 7-5 record this season, makes a bowl game and is not a laughingstock then we should be pleased --- it is the first step out of the pit.

To the dline issue that people point out (and correctly so), why will it be substantially better this year? What gives anyone the confidence that the DL will improve?

Better: technique, schemes, motivation, conditioning. AKA coaching.

What was the problem with the Husker secondary last year? They were filled with talent but struggled all season. Andre Jones and Cortney Grixby started the entire 2006-2007 season and the Huskers were able it to make both the Big XII championship and the Cotton Bowl. 2007-2008 season came around and they both struggled to get on the field. Senior captain Zack Bowman didn't get much p/t either. Tierre Green was also a starter in 06-07 so I really do not understanding where the problems came from. Was the loss of Andrew Shanle the problem? Did Jones, Grixby, Bowman, and Green all digress? Was it the lack of a pass rush?

It definitely wasn't the loss of Shanle!! He was one of the worst D-backs to put on a Husker uniform. Not taking a jab at him personally, but his tackling and coverage were horrible. Maybe continuing to play him when others could have gotten some valuable playing experience might have been a problem, but if anything, I think the lack of a pass rush, no ability or call from the coaches to play a press coverage, and all the defensive players constantly being out of position led to our dismal display of defense and horrible secondary production last year. That will not happen under Bo's watch, GBR!!!!

Every big red defender had problems takling last year!

Coz should have quit after the USC game.

I dunno, while watching the Miz-zoo debacle last year I couldn't help but think that it looked like we had plenty of talented players in the secondary even though they were getting totally embarrassed at the time. They just seemed like they were running around like chickens w their heads cut off and unable to break up a pass or make a tackle to save their lives.

I mainly blame it on poor coaching and poor chemistry since guys like Murillo, Assante, Thenarse were relatively inexperienced. But still, they should have been better than that. The D showing in the OSU game would have been comical had it not been so pathetic and disheartening...worst D performance I have ever seen on any level, any time.

We do have talent on this team, though I'm still not convinced about the D line. Also, Dillard and Turner have got to step up in a big way this year, play like they are expected to play. Turner was a near wash out last year, non existent.

I just have a lot of confidence that BO P will have them playing like a real defence again. :corndance

BTW, where is COZ now, inquiring mind wants to know?

our green line backers will hurt us this year, no doubt about it, but i doubt any quitters will be allowed on the field......we will start slow and should improve somewhat as the season moves on.....7-5 due to this obstacle....but improvement over 5-7...

Hunter:

you are one of the few realistic posters out there. I agree --- if NU pulls a 7-5 record this season, makes a bowl game and is not a laughingstock then we should be pleased --- it is the first step out of the pit.

To the dline issue that people point out (and correctly so), why will it be substantially better this year? What gives anyone the confidence that the DL will improve?

almost everyone i have seen post on here is saying between 6-8 wins.........

most of the ones that arent are JOKING

Biggest problem for the NU secondary-THEY WENT AGAINST REESING. :)

OMG, thanks for sharing that! Hold on, you don't mean THE Todd Reesing? K, now that explains everything. Did our coach and team, refs and public officials know that we were facing Reesing at the time? If so, why did they even let the game happen? We should have forfeited the second anyone saw Reesing get off the bus; well, I guess he wouldn't have gotten off the bus since it was a home game for them, or maybe he did take a bus to the game; how am I supposed to know the mysterious ways of Reesing, already legendary hero in Lawrence KS.

Did Mizzoo face Reesing too? Reesing must have been out that game......

OMG, thanks for sharing that! Hold on, you don't mean THE Todd Reesing? K, now that explains everything. Did our coach and team, refs and public officials know that we were facing Reesing at the time? If so, why did they even let the game happen? We should have forfeited the second anyone saw Reesing get off the bus; well, I guess he wouldn't have gotten off the bus since it was a home game for them, or maybe he did take a bus to the game; how am I supposed to know the mysterious ways of Reesing, already legendary hero in Lawrence KS.

Did Mizzoo face Reesing too? Reesing must have been out that game......

7 td passes later. :)

NU's defense made practically every QB they faced last year look like a Heisman candidate. Kansas will find out how good their golden boy is this year when they have to face actual competition throughout the season and NU will be completely different with Pelini calling the shots.

One decent year and the door mats want to talk smack.

Where did Reesing finish in the Heisman race???? I just want to know since you think he's a Heisman QB after KU had one decent season.

Who brought up heisman? He is betetr than any qb ISU will be fielding this year! Nice try Cy.