Interesting talent data

Or as Cy would say

I considered myself a patient man when I waited 4 12 years for Callahan McCarney to turn this team around....now I gotta wait another 3-4?? A man's patience can only go so far. When will the waiting stop!

Having said that, I'm willing to give Pelini Chicklets Kismit Chitlins uh, the new guy as much time as he needs. I like his style and have the utmost confidence in him.

I stole the below from another board. It validates what I have been saying all along --- Pelini is inheriting far less talent than did Callahan --- and that the talent level at NU after Callahan is worse than it was when Callahan arrived.

I saw this posted over on BigRedReport by most excellent poster HuskerDynasty :

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts. I guess we'll have to wait four years to see if Bo has that many, but it's pretty safe to assume it won't be much different than that. In fact, if you look at all-Big 12 selections, Bo is coming into a much worse situation talent-wise. Bo is inheriting 1 2nd team All Big 12 and 4 Honorable Mentions. Callahan inherited 3 All Americans, 4 1st team All Big 12, 1 2nd team and 5 HM.

Callahan inherited seven heralded players (All American or 1st team all conference) and left Pelini with 0.

Zero. Nada. Not one.

People forget that in Callahan's recruiting classes ca. 1/2 the players who were highly rated are gone (did not make grades, discipline trouble, washed out, or did not pan out). Also, the vast majority of the high profile players that NU courted (and in so doing got everyone so enamored of Callahan's recruiting ability) chose another school with NU as the # 2 option. The impression is that of great recruiting --- the reality is very different.

Pelini has inherited a team with mid-conference talent, perhaps in the # 5-7 range in the Big 12 and no better than the top 35 or so nationally.

Bear this in mind as Pelini goes into this season. Seven wins will be quite, quite the challenge --- and Pelini is a great coach --- he may get NU there --- may get 7 wins --- but expect no more (hope for, sure --- expect, no, that would not be realistic).

LOL, yeah but we fired Solich because we had no depth remember? :sarcasm

Now, go back and see what Solich inherited from TO in terms of the NFL players and such. BC inherited way more than Solich did when TO retired especially when considering the amount of top 3 round NFL draft choices. I brought this up 2 years ago and was told that you can't gauge a player by whether or not they are drafted into the NFL. Looks like we have people saying the same thing about post season awards. I guess I'm still confused about how to gauge talent if we don't use being drafted to the NFL and post season awards. If we go strictly by their numbers then Lord was one of the best QB's ever to put the red and white on.

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts

My question would be, what rating did those guys have coming to NU and who coached them? I wonder how many of those guys were deemed "average" players by recruiting guru's only to become phenomenal players while under the tutelage of Solich and staff (namely Pelini during his one-year here). Additionally, how many of those 26 players are still with the NFL

Nebraska has never been one to dote on 4 and 5 star recruits. Instead, we take average players other teams may overlook and we develop them into players other teams wished they had. My guess (and hope) is that is the philosophy Pelini is taking.

IMO, NU fans became to enamored with recruit ratings while Callahan was here and forgot what NU football is/was really about.

NU fans became enamored with recruiting ratings because Pud told them so. All he could talk about was how great things were "going" to be because of the talent the previous staff brought into the program. Nobody was ready to lynch TO when he brought in a 28th or 32nd rated class because we were winning. Talent is great but there's a lot more to football than talent. I highly doubt anyone would argue that Stanford last year had more talent than USC, but then again look who won the game. You need to have the tools to get your job done, but you don't always have to have the best tools to do the best job. The one thing that surprises me the most is that we haven't had a lot more players quit the team. I don't think Pelini will take half assed attitude and performance. Maybe the players are giving him their all where BC couldn't get it out of them. Maybe they're so sick and tired of losing they don't care what sacrifices they have to make.

Nope, he was fired because Pederson didn't want Nebraska to slip into mediocrity. In all fairness to him, we didn't; we fell much further.

Listen all this talk about stars, ratings, and where your final class recruiting ranks among the nation is fun and all, but the only thing that matters is if you get players that fit your system. Or, you get players that are close to what you are looking for, and mold them to be players that fit your system. If they can play well within the system and what is trying to be accomplished, the team will be successful...no matter how many 5-star and/or 4-star recruits you have.

4,5 star players would sure help to get this program going again. Some of you have said we didn't get a lot of them when TO was coaching and we did alright. There are not many that can do what TO did with less. Bo will do alright with lesser ranked players, if they fit what hes trying to do. It would be nice to see some of those blue chippers come on board next year, to get Bo started, but if he can pull the same kind of magic TO did with less, the top recruits will come.

GBR!!!

I considered myself a patient man when I waited 4 years for Callahan to turn this team around....now I gotta wait another 3-4?? A man's patience can only go so far. When will the waiting stop!

Having said that, I'm willing to give Pelini as much time as he needs. I like his style and have the utmost confidence in him.

The unfortunate reality is that after Callahan, NU is further away from being competitive than when Callahan started. That is, your first four years wait for improvement under Callahan were not years of improvement but years of regression (at least relative regression against the conference in general and the B12 North in particular). Bo is starting further behind the 8-ball than did Callahan. The talent that Bo inherited is likely (though not certainly) quite a bit lower than what Callahan inherited.

So....

Yes, three or four years more of waiting. At a minimum. And that time could be short if the regional programs who are already ahead of us continue to grow as well (programs like OU, Texas, TTech, Kansas, Missouri, even Colorado). It is what it is.

Still, as always --- Go Big Red!

The one thing that surprises me the most is that we haven't had a lot more players quit the team. I don't think Pelini will take half assed attitude and performance. Maybe the players are giving him their all where BC couldn't get it out of them. Maybe they're so sick and tired of losing they don't care what sacrifices they have to make.

:yeah and Amen

And ask Michigan how many players with 4/5 stars were on Appalatian, Appleation, oh h*ll, App St. last year

Or as Cy would say

I considered myself a patient man when I waited 4 12 years for Callahan McCarney to turn this team around....now I gotta wait another 3-4?? A man's patience can only go so far. When will the waiting stop!

Having said that, I'm willing to give Pelini Chicklets Kismit Chitlins uh, the new guy as much time as he needs. I like his style and have the utmost confidence in him.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I considered myself a patient man when I waited 4 years for Callahan to turn this team around....now I gotta wait another 3-4?? A man's patience can only go so far. When will the waiting stop!

Having said that, I'm willing to give Pelini as much time as he needs. I like his style and have the utmost confidence in him.

The unfortunate reality is that after Callahan, NU is further away from being competitive than when Callahan started. That is, your first four years wait for improvement under Callahan were not years of improvement but years of regression (at least relative regression against the conference in general and the B12 North in particular). Bo is starting further behind the 8-ball than did Callahan. The talent that Bo inherited is likely (though not certainly) quite a bit lower than what Callahan inherited.

So....

Yes, three or four years more of waiting. At a minimum. And that time could be short if the regional programs who are already ahead of us continue to grow as well (programs like OU, Texas, TTech, Kansas, Missouri, even Colorado). It is what it is.

:yeah

So....

I'm sorry but I disagree with this thinking. It COULD be true, you COULD be right. But since there is no way of really knowing such a thing I don't think we should make these assumptions. This line of thinking is what allowed for people to be OK with Callahan's awful first season. Basically, this isn't a job for someone to just go around making excuses, which is what is so great about Pelini. We might take 3-4 years or w/e but we should never think about it that way or even think that it is OK or acceptable.

So....

I'm sorry but I disagree with this thinking. It COULD be true, you COULD be right. But since there is no way of really knowing such a thing I don't think we should make these assumptions. This line of thinking is what allowed for people to be OK with Callahan's awful first season. Basically, this isn't a job for someone to just go around making excuses, which is what is so great about Pelini. We might take 3-4 years or w/e but we should never think about it that way or even think that it is OK or acceptable.

I can see where you are coming from. That said, I would say that 7-5 is not acceptable --- but it is what we can expect. I hope that makes sense. On the one hand it is not OK to be barely competitive --- on the other hand, that is (I am thinking anyway) about all one could reasonably expect from this squad. In that sense it is OK. One must play the cards they were dealt --- the hand may be weak, or decent at best --- in such a case scenario one can only reasonably expect a weak or decent outcome. may not be acceptable or OK. But it is was it is.

I hope that makes sense.

I stole the below from another board. It validates what I have been saying all along --- Pelini is inheriting far less talent than did Callahan --- and that the talent level at NU after Callahan is worse than it was when Callahan arrived.

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts. I guess we'll have to wait four years to see if Bo has that many, but it's pretty safe to assume it won't be much different than that. In fact, if you look at all-Big 12 selections, Bo is coming into a much worse situation talent-wise. Bo is inheriting 1 2nd team All Big 12 and 4 Honorable Mentions. Callahan inherited 3 All Americans, 4 1st team All Big 12, 1 2nd team and 5 HM.

Callahan inherited seven heralded players (All American or 1st team all conference) and left Pelini with 0.

Zero. Nada. Not one.

People forget that in Callahan's recruiting classes ca. 1/2 the players who were highly rated are gone (did not make grades, discipline trouble, washed out, or did not pan out). Also, the vast majority of the high profile players that NU courted (and in so doing got everyone so enamored of Callahan's recruiting ability) chose another school with NU as the # 2 option. The impression is that of great recruiting --- the reality is very different.

Pelini has inherited a team with mid-conference talent, perhaps in the # 5-7 range in the Big 12 and no better than the top 35 or so nationally.

Bear this in mind as Pelini goes into this season. Seven wins will be quite, quite the challenge --- and Pelini is a great coach --- he may get NU there --- may get 7 wins --- but expect no more (hope for, sure --- expect, no, that would not be realistic).

Now, go back and see what Solich inherited from TO in terms of the NFL players and such. BC inherited way more than Solich did when TO retired especially when considering the amount of top 3 round NFL draft choices. I brought this up 2 years ago and was told that you can't gauge a player by whether or not they are drafted into the NFL. Looks like we have people saying the same thing about post season awards. I guess I'm still confused about how to gauge talent if we don't use being drafted to the NFL and post season awards. If we go strictly by their numbers then Lord was one of the best QB's ever to put the red and white on.

Callahan inherited no less than 26 guys that went on to sign NFL contracts

My question would be, what rating did those guys have coming to NU and who coached them? I wonder how many of those guys were deemed "average" players by recruiting guru's only to become phenomenal players while under the tutelage of Solich and staff (namely Pelini during his one-year here). Additionally, how many of those 26 players are still with the NFL

Nebraska has never been one to dote on 4 and 5 star recruits. Instead, we take average players other teams may overlook and we develop them into players other teams wished they had. My guess (and hope) is that is the philosophy Pelini is taking.

IMO, NU fans became to enamored with recruit ratings while Callahan was here and forgot what NU football is/was really about.

NU fans became enamored with recruiting ratings because Pud told them so. All he could talk about was how great things were "going" to be because of the talent the previous staff brought into the program. Nobody was ready to lynch TO when he brought in a 28th or 32nd rated class because we were winning. Talent is great but there's a lot more to football than talent. I highly doubt anyone would argue that Stanford last year had more talent than USC, but then again look who won the game. You need to have the tools to get your job done, but you don't always have to have the best tools to do the best job. The one thing that surprises me the most is that we haven't had a lot more players quit the team. I don't think Pelini will take half assed attitude and performance. Maybe the players are giving him their all where BC couldn't get it out of them. Maybe they're so sick and tired of losing they don't care what sacrifices they have to make.

you must not get out of the state much

Zero. Nada. Not one.

Keep in mind that Bo Pelini is inheriting a team that went 5-7 mainly due to horrible defense

BC inherited a team that was 10-3 top 10 in D nationally and he went 5-6 the next year

lets just say that BP goes 10-2 regular season....what does that tell me? Coaching bar none....thats all it was and is. Nebraska has the talent, i've been reading alot of article that support that. The fact of the matter is getting them to play FOR NEBRASKA with passion and all that.

Anyone who really thinks that the talent level that was left when BC came is coo coo. Just look at the players they look so much more physical especially our DB's now. Would you take pat ricketts and put him on last years defense with no pass rush over Armando Murillo? highly doubtful.

Keep in mind that Bo Pelini is inheriting a team that went 5-7 mainly due to horrible defense

BC inherited a team that was 10-3 top 10 in D nationally and he went 5-6 the next year

lets just say that BP goes 10-2 regular season....what does that tell me? Coaching bar none....thats all it was and is. Nebraska has the talent, i've been reading alot of article that support that. The fact of the matter is getting them to play FOR NEBRASKA with passion and all that.

Anyone who really thinks that the talent level that was left when BC came is coo coo. Just look at the players they look so much more physical especially our DB's now. Would you take pat ricketts and put him on last years defense with no pass rush over Armando Murillo? highly doubtful.

Articles are subjective, not objective. Therefore, they cannot be used as "evidence" to prove that Nebraska has talent. They may have talent, but I definitely haven't seen it the last few years.

Physical!?!? You think our players are more physical now? You did watch the same games as I did last year, didn't you? If I was to describe last season's efforts with one word, "physical" would DEFINITELY be on the bottom of the list.

In a heartbeat, I would take Ricketts over Murillo. PR had many big plays, including game-winning interceptions against both CU and MSU. I don't remember Murillo playing last year - that's how memorable he was. Now I'll grant you they played on totally different defenses, and Murillo probably has more physical talent, but how they play on Saturday is what matters to me.

So....

I'm willing to be patient as long as we play competitive. If we come out this year and next year and just get totally throttled like last year, then I will become very disgruntled and patience will wear thin. If we're getting absolutely blasted at halftime in the Homecoming game, my patience will wear razor thin. I expect to see mistakes especially on D in 08'. However, they had better be aggressive mistakes rather than guys just sitting back doing nothing. Improvements have got to be made in the turnover ration, time of possession, etc. I never thought I'd ever say this, but winning or losing the games aren't nearly as important to me in 08' as HOW we play.