Networks Pass on First Three Husker Games

I get your point, but I think we have a little more national prestige than the schools you mention. Yeah, we stink right now, but you find Husker fans all over the country. Still, we need to be able to win some games to make it on TV.

As for all the interest in the "new huskers". I don't get the feeling that there is much outside of Nebraska. People may be curious, but I don't think many of them are interested. Bo was not a big name hire and most outsiders are not seeing it the same way that insiders are.

Just a couple thoughts from a Husker fan in St. Louis

Cannot blame them.

We are a losing program, playing cupcakes. Who would really have an interest in those games, other than Nebraska fans.

No market for the games that would justify putting them on TV.

With our future schedules, look for more of the same.

Your assessment is right on. To most of the nation, we are like Syracuse, or South Carolina, or Iowa, or Oregon State, or perhaps Minnesota --- that is, teams of minimal general interest. Such programs get on TV rarely and then usually only when they play a better team with more of a national interest at the time. The Huskers who we love barely raise a blip on the national radar. We are in a "what have you done for me lately society" --- so, to most of the nation the fact that NU is a historic powerhouse and had great decades in the 70's, 80's, and 90's is of no importance.

Right now Nebraska football is not a major player at the national level. So, as has been pointed out, do not expect much TV coverage unless we are the second team in the game (expect Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, maybe TTech games to be televised --- but the reason for the coverage will not be NU --- it will be primarily because of our opponent.

Hell just froze over....

On another note, suprised KU vs LA Tech got on. I share the frustration on the need for more TV. For years, even when KU was decent, we could not even get our freaking rivalry games on TV, much less Big 12 games. That is messed up. The Jayhawk Baketball team is on Big monday nationally weekly, and the football team cannot get on TV until last year. Winning does seem to cure a lot of that...

The people I respect in college football, almost to a tee, said why in the hell Pelini. You should have taken Grobe. You just got rid of a coach that had little to no head coaching experience and then you hire one that has none.

But very few are concerned about Nebraska and the supposed mass interest. Georgia is who we hear a lot about out here. Oklahoma is a joke to the SoCal people. Texas seems to garner the most respect and they seem to know a little about the team. Young memories I guess.

In honesty I really do not think anyone is conerned about Nebraska on the National level. Every major program would pencil in a win if they were playing us. And you really can not blame them.

The people I respect in college football, almost to a tee, said why in the hell Pelini. You should have taken Grobe. You just got rid of a coach that had little to no head coaching experience and then you hire one that has none.

answer: it's a supervised internship. he reports to tom osborne.

answer: it's a supervised internship. he reports to tom osborne.

Bo was one of the best defensive coordinators in the country and he is not taking any job as an internship. I am sure Dr. Tom will be around, but one of the advantages of Bo is that he can appreciate your traditions, he won't have to be told that they are what make Nebraska, well, Nebraska...

The statement is basically most out of the state do not feel we made a step forward, we took the cheapest option and a yes man. I do not know that that is correct, but from afar it does look that way. We could have gotten a proven head coach that was capable of winning in under less than favorable conditions. I have to admit I would have been happier with Grobe, but Bo is here and I will support him.

I am still not thrilled with the selection, but he is doing everything right and seems to be fitting in well. I have liked the way he has handled himself and the program since arrival. I feel he will grow into being a great head coach, but I am willing to give him time to get his legs under him.

I disagree with JayHawk, unusual, but I think he is on a very short leash, and Dr. Tom is making key decissions. Giving guidance on a regular basis, and I think that Bo wants that door open 24 hours a day. I see no problem with it.

The statement is basically most out of the state do not feel we made a step forward, we took the cheapest option and a yes man. I do not know that that is correct, but from afar it does look that way. We could have gotten a proven head coach that was capable of winning in under less than favorable conditions. I have to admit I would have been happier with Grobe, but Bo is here and I will support him.

I am still not thrilled with the selection, but he is doing everything right and seems to be fitting in well. I have liked the way he has handled himself and the program since arrival. I feel he will grow into being a great head coach, but I am willing to give him time to get his legs under him.

I disagree with JayHawk, unusual, but I think he is on a very short leash, and Dr. Tom is making key decissions. Giving guidance on a regular basis, and I think that Bo wants that door open 24 hours a day. I see no problem with it.

I originally wanted Grobe, but looking back at it, I feel Osbourne made the right decision. Nebraska needed defensive help. Pelini is one of the - if not the best - defensive minds in college football today. If anyone can get an almost dead last defense on track, it's him.

Getting a "proven" coach doesn't mean anything. Some individuals do not fit into certain cultures, and as we have seen, this can be disastrous. I think fitting into a culture is one of the most important criteria while searching through job applicants. If they don't fit in with the culture, it doesn't matter how "proven" they are, it's not going to work. I think Osbourne noted (and learned) that bringing in an outsider is very risky, unless both sides' expectations align perfectly. He didn't want to have another Callahan Error (Era), so he went with someone whose personality and character meshed with the Nebraska culture.

And to say hiring Pelini is not a "step forward" is hypocritical. These same people are saying he is unproven, but then they go and say that hiring him wasn't a step forward? How do they know? He's unproven...remember!?

And to say hiring Pelini is not a "step forward" is hypocritical. These same people are saying he is unproven, but then they go and say that hiring him wasn't a step forward? How do they know? He's unproven...remember!?

Need I remind you he is 1-0 as a head coach?

To be fair, we won't ever know most likely which way it is.

If it works, or fails, it would be in everyone's interest for it to be attached to Bo. He needs the credibility, and Dr. Tom ain't takin the fall. I would only offer that if Tom Osborne wanted to run things, I think he just would have... He does not seem to be up for that anymore, or he maybe he would have. I just have a hard time thinking of Bo as a yes man. I can't really prove it either way, at least at this point.

I originally wanted Grobe, but looking back at it, I feel Osbourne made the right decision. Nebraska needed defensive help. Pelini is one of the - if not the best - defensive minds in college football today. If anyone can get an almost dead last defense on track, it's him.

Getting a "proven" coach doesn't mean anything. Some individuals do not fit into certain cultures, and as we have seen, this can be disastrous. I think fitting into a culture is one of the most important criteria while searching through job applicants. If they don't fit in with the culture, it doesn't matter how "proven" they are, it's not going to work. I think Osbourne noted (and learned) that bringing in an outsider is very risky, unless both sides' expectations align perfectly. He didn't want to have another Callahan Error (Era), so he went with someone whose personality and character meshed with the Nebraska culture.

I think Pelini is comparable to a couple of brothers, the Stoops. Both of the Stoops could also get an almost dead last defense on track. Brother Bob is a hero in Soonerland. Brother Mike not so much in Arizona. Which one he ends up like the most now he's a head coach remains to be seen. I will say this though that Pelini and Bob Stoops both when they started had a big fanbase behind them while Mike more than likely didn't. Pelini was a step in a direction, period. Proven head coaches cost money, and most proven head coaches like to move around to the bigger payday. TO wasn't a proven head coach when he was hired. Solich wasn't a proven head coach when he was hired. Supposedly BC was a proven head coach in the pros when he was hired. A mixed bag of sort.

My opinion on Groebe. Given the year NU had, if he could not beat our team last year at home he would have been a lateral hire at best.