WR Markus Wheaton

Player: Markus Wheaton

Hometown: Chandler, AZ

Position: WR

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 175 lbs.

40 time: 4.4

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Colorado, Arizona State, Arizona, Oregon State, Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Utah, SMU, Colorado State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Recruit is a burner and was first team all region. Also played as RB and DB in HS. Potential WR or DB at next level.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

lots of Pac 10 schools chasing him....this one is a long shot.

NU make the cut?

Chandler (Ariz.) athlete Markus Wheaton has seen his stock steadily increase since his season to the point where he now holds double-digit offers. He’s appreciated all the interest shown to him, but he has now trimmed his list to a final four schools. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound Wheaton has spoken with the staffs at all four of his favorites. More

lots of Pac 10 schools chasing him....this one is a long shot.

NU make the cut?

Chandler (Ariz.) athlete Markus Wheaton has seen his stock steadily increase since his season to the point where he now holds double-digit offers. He’s appreciated all the interest shown to him, but he has now trimmed his list to a final four schools. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound Wheaton has spoken with the staffs at all four of his favorites. More

Yes. Its down to Colorado, Nebraska, Oregon and UCLA.

From Huskerjournal.com:

SEPTEMBER 25, 2008. PREP STAR

MARKUS WHEATON, WR, 6-0, 175, 4.47, CHANDLER, ARIZONA

“I’ll visit Colorado next weekend,” Wheaton said. “I like Colorado, I like the weather it’s colder than Arizona. I want to get out of Arizona. I also like the Rocky Mountains.”

“I’ll probably visit Nebraska too,” Wheaton said. I checked Nebraska out on the Internet. I don’t know much about them until I get there. A couple of my teammates last year visited Nebraska and said it was nice.”

“I want to see if they (Nebraska) will let me play early. That’s what I’m looking for. Colorado told me I could play my freshman year.”

“Arizona State offered me but I want to leave state, I out to get out.” Wheaton added

“I might visit Colorado State,” Wheaton said. “They throw the ball a lot. I like that. Their offense is not like ours (Chandler), but wide receivers get the ball a lot. We run the spread at Chandler with one back set. Oregon actually runs the spread what we do.”

“I like UCLA,” Wheaton said. “I like the weather there. I’ve been to Los Angeles before but not there (UCLA Campus)” Wheaton added.

“Right now Oregon and Colorado State are recruiting me the hardest.”

• 3 weeks later...

Unlikely to visit Nebraska according to ESPN:

Two way standout Markus Wheaton (Basha, Ariz./Basha) has begun to narrow his list of colleges and has a solid six schools he's currently looking at.

Wheaton has already taken official visits to Oregon and Colorado and both schools are very much in the mix.

"Oregon was back in September and I loved it," Wheaton said. "The game atmosphere there was great and I really like the team a lot. Kenny Wheaton is my older cousin and he was an All-American there so I've followed them for awhile.

"Colorado was fun too. It was homecoming weekend and there was a good buzz. They got hammered by Texas but it was still a good time. I love the coaches there, and Boulder is a beautiful place."

Wheaton's next visit will be to Cal (Oct. 24) and he's deciding among three schools for his final two visits.

"UCLA, USC and Oregon State are the other schools I'm looking at. I'll visit two of them but I'm not sure which two yet, it's totally up in the air. USC just offered me and I'm definitely interested in them.

"I will take all five visits before making my decision. I'm not sure if my last two trips will be during the season or after and depending on when I do my visits, that will determine if I commit right after the year or in January."

• 3 weeks later...

Can probably take him off the list at this point:

Two-way standout Wheaton visits Cal

Posted by Greg Biggins

Talented two way athlete Markus Wheaton (Chandler, Ariz.) took his third official visit this past weekend to Cal. Wheaton said he still wants to take his last two visits and has three schools in mind for the remaining spots.

Wheaton, a dynamic receiver/cornerback prospect had previously visited Oregon and Colorado before checking out Berkeley.

"I had a lot of fun there," Wheaton said. "Me and Bryce (Lamb, teammate) hung out the whole time with Cameron Jordan and Marc Anthony, who both played at Chandler.

"They hosted us and they really like it at Cal. I felt comfortable with the players and coaches and I like the offense. They didn't pass much but they really didn't need to in that game."

As for what trip has stood out the most so far, Wheaton said it was tough to compare them but all three schools are very much in the mix.

"I probably had the most fun at Colorado," Wheaton said. "Oregon was cool because my cousin Kenny Wheaton played there and he was an All-American and then this visit to Cal was great as well and it was cool seeing some Chandler guys.

"I still plan on taking my last two visits but I haven't set the dates yet. I honestly feel like I have enough information right now to make a decision just off these three trips but taking two more can't hurt. I think the more you see, the better, it will help me finalize things.

"I'm going to visit two of UCLA, USC or Oregon State. Hopefully I can get those set up pretty soon here and then take the visits in the next month or so."

• 2 months later...

Committed to Oregon State

Beavers build more offense with Markus Wheaton

From Chandler, Ariz., highly-sought receiver Markus Wheaton has chosen Oregon State. The 175-pound prospect was also sought by California, Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA and Southern California.

ESPN's Greg Biggins reports that Wheaton was previously an Oregon lean. Wheaton said, "The two coaches that were recruiting me from Oregon were both let go. Coach Pfugrad was the receiver coach and Coach Gray was the one recruiting me. They were both let go and those were the guys I was really comfortable with."

"Oregon State was always right there and it just felt good being there. I like that it's a small town and I love Coach Riley and the rest of the coaching staff. It's hard to explain but it just felt right at Oregon State. Like you get that special feeling about a school and that?s what it was for me at Oregon State."

Sure thought Colorado was in it, but I guess they didn't send enough pizza boxes.