SIGNED: QB Cody Green

Thought you guys might like to know that in Cody’s first scrimmage of the year:

15-22 for 270 yds

1 passing td

1 rushing td (50 yd or so scamper)

this is in one half of football. Didn’t play a snap in the 2nd half. I’ll try to keep you posted throughout the season.

I feel bad for Lee and Witt though- you've gotta imagine that they are dismayed. They're both really good, but if Green lives up to his potential there is no way they can start over him for long, if at all.

Lee and Witt look good. Word out is that Spano is good too. If anything, Lee and Witt (and, for that matter, Spano too) will have a major advantage of time in the system. I full well would expect that Green will redshirt his freshman year as someone from Lee/Witt/Spano take the helm. You'll see Green in due course but Lee/Witt/Spano are more experienced and all have excellent backgrounds. So the QB position is as solid --- if not more solid --- than any position on the team for the next few (maybe 5) years. With four good looking guys --- all young (Witt a Freshman, Lee a sophomore, Spano redshirting, and Green in HS). The future looks bright.

To coronate Green king when the likes of Witt, Lee and Spano in the system is a bit premature.

I hope no one gets caught up in the star status with Cody and puts un-needed pressure on him like we have so many other guys.

Cody needs a RS, that is without question. Cody is very green (no pun intended) as a passer and needs to refine his mechanics along with other things like knowing when to rifle a pass or put some air under it.

I hope no one gets that twisted that I'm knocking Cody. But too many times we have put pressure on kids when they don't need it. Cody isn't a guy who will step onto campus and change our program the first day. Now two or three years down the road, you're damm straight he may change our squad, but he needs to develop that 'potential' that he is just oozing with.

I hope no one gets caught up in the star status with Cody and puts un-needed pressure on him like we have so many other guys.

Cody needs a RS, that is without question. Cody is very green (no pun intended) as a passer and needs to refine his mechanics along with other things like knowing when to rifle a pass or put some air under it.

I hope no one gets that twisted that I'm knocking Cody. But too many times we have put pressure on kids when they don't need it. Cody isn't a guy who will step onto campus and change our program the first day. Now two or three years down the road, you're damm straight he may change our squad, but he needs to develop that 'potential' that he is just oozing with.

Well put. Even if the kid were a phenom I would say red shirt him just so he can get used to being in college and the type of environment that brings.

15-22 for 270 yds

1 passing td

this is in one half of football. Didn’t play a snap in the 2nd half. I’ll try to keep you posted throughout the season.

Came against West Orange (wo-s)? As I understand it they are a decent 3A team and Dayton competes in 4A. Anyone find video yet?

15-22 for 270 yds

1 passing td

Came against West Orange (wo-s)? As I understand it they are a decent 3A team and Dayton competes in 4A. Anyone find video yet?

Here is a better story:

The first football scrimmages for area high school teams came off without a hitch, according to the head coaches at Dayton, Liberty, Hardin and Hull-Daisetta.

Fortunately, injuries were not a major issue and for the most part all of the grid bosses were happy with their team's performance against outside competition.

Dayton

Coach Jerry Stewart's Broncos welcomed Class 3A perennial powerhouse West Orange-Stark to Bronco Stadium last Saturday night and despite some first half turnovers, held on for a 28-21 win that was played under game-like conditions sans contact on punts and kickoffs.

"We had some highs and lows," said Stewart, referring to the Broncos racing to a 14-0 lead only to have the visitors tie the game as a result of two costly turnovers.

The Broncos elected to limit first-team quarterback Cody Green and receiver A.J. Dugat to just one half of work.

Meanwhile, backup signal-caller Zach Crowder and running back B.J. Jones delighted the Dayton audience with their combined offensive display in the second half.

Green, who was sidelined most of last season with a severe ankle injury, brought the crowd to its feet on Dayton's first possession, rambling some 50 yards for a touchdown on a QB keeper.

The Bronco senior also kicked the extra point to give his ballclub a 7-0 lead with 8:56 left in the quarter.

Dugat raced into the end zone on a nifty run at the 9:13 mark of the second quarter. The fleet-footed receiver finished with 11 pass receptions for 217 yards.

Later in the second period with the Broncos driving deep into Mustang territory, Green misfired and an alert WO-S defender returned the ball to Dayton's four-yard line.

A short time later, they cut the deficit to 14-6 after missing the extra point try.

But the Golden Triangle entry tied the game with four minutes remaining in the half when Green was unable to get the handle on a high snap that sailed into the Dayton end zone.

Darius 'Smokey' Detiege pushed the Broncos back out front on a counter play and later Terry Asson got into the scoring act to complete the scoring. WO-S tacked on one score in the second half, but for the most part the Broncos kept them in check.

You could read that two different ways I guess. One way I think that West orange played pretty tough. The other is if they would have left Green and Dugat in it could have got ugly.

The turnovers weigh in too. Got to get that ironed out.

didn't mean to leave out the INT's when I posted. my bad.

WO-S is in a smaller classification but does have one of the toughest defenses in their class year in and year out. Pound for pound they are probably more athletic than anyone Dayton will play all year.

• 2 weeks later...