SIGNED: QB Cody Green

• 3 weeks later...

Loved his visit and helped with Adams:

QB commit sees NU loss as sign of progress

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Cody Green isn't wavering one bit on his decision to play football at Nebraska, even though he witnessed the Huskers' loss Saturday to Virginia Tech.

The 6-foot-4 dual-threat quarterback, who committed to Nebraska in July, took his official visit last weekend, his third trip to Lincoln. He arrived Friday and stayed on campus until Sunday.

It was a great time, he said, and it wasn't marred at all by the Huskers' 35-30 defeat.

If anything, Green said, what he saw Saturday adds credence to a growing opinion that the program is on the right track.

"I know that Nebraska is going to be back quicker than most people think," he said. "They shot themselves in the foot so many times and still had a chance to win that game. That shows right there that they're close.

"Yeah, they lost, but that game could have been different."

He said the other visiting recruits had a similar take.

When Green wasn't shaking hands and signing autographs, he said, he got a chance to interact with a few high school players who have yet to make their college decisions.

Green said he buddied up with Corey Adams, a touted defensive tackle from Arizona. The Nebraska coaches, hoping for a commitment from Adams, have to love the way the two players met.

Green was walking by himself around the complex when he spotted the "big mammoth of a man" in the weight room. Green quickly deduced that the 6-foot-4, 290-pound Adams wasn't just someone who worked there.

"He was one of the ones that I was pretty much talking to the whole time," Green said. "He was amazed (about the visit), just like I was."

Green said Nebraska's game day atmosphere beat out all of the Texas schools that he's visited. He can't wait to play in it, he said.

But first he'll have to finish the Dayton High School fall season, which has been delayed by the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike.

Dayton, Texas, is about an hour's drive from Galveston, the island town near Houston that is slowly recovering from the storm. The hurricane's impact is still being felt where he lives, Green said.

"We had hundreds of houses with trees in them," he said. "It was like an atomic bomb hit here."

They are finally playing football again, though.

Green and his teammates won a game on Tuesday, the first time they've played since the beginning of September. They'll play again Saturday and continue to play twice a week until they've caught up, Green said.

According to the Houston Chronicle, Green has 811 yards and nine touchdown passes in three games. His team is 2-1.

Lets not put "4 year starter" or "heisman" on this kid. He is still in high school and no one should put that kind of pressure on a high school kid. I don't think that is what you meant but I am always worried about a kid coming in and having to live up to TOO much. I would love it if he did but would be ok with him redshirting and contributing huge later in his carrer also.

GBR

Lets not put "4 year starter" or "heisman" on this kid. He is still in high school and no one should put that kind of pressure on a high school kid. I don't think that is what you meant but I am always worried about a kid coming in and having to live up to TOO much. I would love it if he did but would be ok with him redshirting and contributing huge later in his carrer also.

GBR

+1. Let's not forget all the past names who were tagged as "Heisman" type athletes and never panned out......

All we know is that Cody Green is very talented athlete, has an awesome attitude, and wants to play football at Nebraska. With good coaching and a lot of hard work, he has the POTENTIAL to be great.

:)

GBR

+1. Let's not forget all the past names who were tagged as "Heisman" type athletes and never panned out......

All we know is that Cody Green is very talented athlete, has an awesome attitude, and wants to play football at Nebraska. With good coaching and a lot of hard work, he has the POTENTIAL to be great.

Well said sir.

:koolaid2::)