Find a way to stop the spread or find new job

I think it's a pretty good article, but I don't necessarily agree that the best athletes are being used for offense. Take Purify last year for example. I can't see him being a very good corner or safety, but he was a pretty good receiver. The spread is a great offense for a smart, semi-quick QB who doesn't have a lot of arm strength. The best way to stop the spread is to have not only an agressive front 4 but also a smart front 4. Not only does the front 4 need to put pressure on the QB, they also need to contain and push them to the inside of the field if they can't get to them. They also need to get their hands in the air whenever the ball is thrown because most passes in the spread are shorter higher percentage passes. Knock as many down as possible or tip them up hoping a LB or corner picks it off.

I think it's a pretty good article, but I don't necessarily agree that the best athletes are being used for offense. Take Purify last year for example. I can't see him being a very good corner or safety, but he was a pretty good receiver. The spread is a great offense for a smart, semi-quick QB who doesn't have a lot of arm strength. The best way to stop the spread is to have not only an agressive front 4 but also a smart front 4. Not only does the front 4 need to put pressure on the QB, they also need to contain and push them to the inside of the field if they can't get to them. They also need to get their hands in the air whenever the ball is thrown because most passes in the spread are shorter higher percentage passes. Knock as many down as possible or tip them up hoping a LB or corner picks it off.

Just look what OU did to us twice last year.

I'm hopeful that our front 4 can do this in 2008. I still believe this is the greatest untapped resource heading into the season. I think we definitely have some players on the front 4. If they play like I think they can, then our woes at LB will seem small.

I agree with you there. The D-line does have a lot of experience coming back, and some of these guys could be real players, but they have to take a huge step up this year. If they can, it will really help the rest of the defense.

Pelini, who was the defensive coordinator at LSU the last three seasons, didn’t hear about Nebraska’s historically bad defensive effort against KU until the next day, when he checked his phone messages and heard several references to it. Little did he realize at the time that he would replace Callahan and find the Big 12 very different from the way he left it.

SCENE: baton rouge, la; coach pelini is checking his text messages in late november 2007.

bo: hmm?

[looks at a message from TOSBORNE@UNL.EDU saying, "CALL ME NOW!!!!1!']

bo: sweet! yo, crash! papi! WE'RE GOIN' TA LINCOLN!

I agree with a lot of that article. Most teams do not put the best athletes on defense. OU does. If you look at the head coaches in the Big 12, only 3 are defensive guys. The other 9 are former OCs. Just OU with Stoops, and look how OU has dominated the Big 12. ISU now has Chizik, and ISU did play better as the season went on. And Now with Pelini at NU, that makes up all the defensive guys.

CU, KU, KSU, MU, UT, TT, A&M, OSU and BU all have offensive guys. And we all know the old adage, 'defense wins championships'. ANd it is hard to argue with it. Many of the most consistantly powerful programs over the last several years are defensive headed. OU, Ohio State, USC.

WOH... another spread offense question? Damn.

During the past 4-6 years the Huskers have been been inconsistent as a team and below average on defense. Plain and simple. Stoping the spread is becoming a question that keeps getting exagerated over and over. As if there is no way, no how.

Really. Because I recall NEB teams that played terrible on the road. Against the spread systems. But somehow they beat those spread offenses at home the year before (Mizzou & Kansas). And Tech - who put 70 on the Huskers in Lubbock, came to Lincoln and quickly jumped out to a 21-0 lead. The sky was falling. But somehow it took a Husker fumble after an INT that kept Tech alive & eventually score the winning TD on the next play.

Good grief.

The Huskers (hopefully) are taking the necessary steps with this new staff to get this team back to the basics. Play real tough football.

Dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Stop the run. Move the chains on offense. Keep your defense on the sideline and fresh. Put pressure on the QB. Let Pelini gameplan the defense each week. Allow Watson to gameplan an offensive strategy he is capable of. Finally the players need to execute with confidence in each other and in themselves. Build up some consistency - start winning at home AND on the road. Things will change in due time.

Beating a good team is tough to do no matter what offense they run, including the spread. But it can be done. And it isnt impossible. Or unimagineable. Or even rocket science.

During the past 4-6 years the Huskers have been been inconsistent as a team and below average on defense. Plain and simple. Stoping the spread is becoming a question that keeps getting exagerated over and over. As if there is no way, no how.

Really. Because I recall NEB teams that played terrible on the road. Against the spread systems. But somehow they beat those spread offenses at home the year before (Mizzou & Kansas). And Tech - who put 70 on the Huskers in Lubbock, came to Lincoln and quickly jumped out to a 21-0 lead. The sky was falling. But somehow it took a Husker fumble after an INT that kept Tech alive & eventually score the winning TD on the next play.

Good grief.

The Huskers (hopefully) are taking the necessary steps with this new staff to get this team back to the basics. Play real tough football.

Dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Stop the run. Move the chains on offense. Keep your defense on the sideline and fresh. Put pressure on the QB. Let Pelini gameplan the defense each week. Allow Watson to gameplan an offensive strategy he is capable of. Finally the players need to execute with confidence in each other and in themselves. Build up some consistency - start winning at home AND on the road. Things will change in due time.

Beating a good team is tough to do no matter what offense they run, including the spread. But it can be done. And it isnt impossible. Or unimagineable. Or even rocket science.

:yeah

Good grief.

:yeah

nor brain surgery