Bo's Blackshirt turnaround!

So how can a talentless 7-7 Nebraska team turn around the next year and go 10-3? Was it Jammal Lord's option attack? Did Solich recruit a super class that made an immediate impact? Did the blackshirts bring in a whole new line up? No, No, No, and No!!! Pelini left the Green Bay for Huskerland and things turned around from there.

Some defensive stats:

Tot Off Avg.

297.2(11)

Tot Off Yards

Rush Avg

Rushing Yds

Pass Avg

177.8(1)

Pass Yards

14.5(2)

Td's

Int's

32(1st)

Fumbles

Tot Turn

47(2)

Turn Margin

+23 (1st)

http://www.huskers.com/pdf3/78904.pdf?ATCLID=2476&SPSID=7&SPID=22&DB_OEM_ID=100

Defensive Starters

LE Chris Kelsay

NT Ryon Bingham

DT Jon Clanton

RE Trevor Johnson

SLB Scott Shanle

MLB Barrett Ruud

WLB T.J. Hollowell/Demorrio Williams

LCB Fabian Washington

RCB DeJuan Groce

Rov Phillip Bland

FS Josh Bullocks

LE Benard Thomas

NT Ryon Bingham

DT Le Kevin Smith

RE Trevor Johnson

SLB TJ Hollowell

MLB Barrett Ruud

WLB Demorrio Williams

LCB Fabian Washington

RCB Pat Ricketts

SS Daniel Bullocks

FS Josh Bullocks

They said there wasn't any talent then but there was. The players stayed the same but the play on the field improved. This year, we will see how much talent NU actually has!

Go Big Red!!!

Check the three losses, then put in Kansas, Missouri, VaTech, Texas Tech and Oklahoma in the rotation.

The team lost when it faced talent. We face more talent this year than we did in 2003.

Do we have the same level of talent as the 2003 team or are we lower.

Bo will turn it around, but I just do not see the giant improvement some are thinking.

7-5 looks real, maybe 8-4, but I doubt any better.

Bo took a 7-7 team to a 10-3 team

If he improves the team that much again, he will take a 5-7 team to 8-4 and a bowl game. that could be 9-4 or 8-5

I would be happy with that

one thing is for sure, win or lose at least the team will be playing with passion and giving effort all 4 qtrs

Bo took a 7-7 team to a 10-3 team

If he improves the team that much again, he will take a 5-7 team to 8-4 and a bowl game. that could be 9-4 or 8-5

I would be happy with that

one thing is for sure, win or lose at least the team will be playing with passion and giving effort all 4 qtrs

If he does take us to 8-4 and a bowl game I'll be happier than hell with those results. I also just want to see some fire and passion again.

well, thank goodness most folks are being realists here...much higher level of play is first and foremost...more wins than losses, step 2....build to make a run 2-3 years from now...that's the ticket...anything better along the way is gravy...relax, give Bo some time now....

I agree Hunter...................whether we want to admit it or not Husker fans needed to be brought back down to earth a little bit to help with our unrealistic expectations. While it has been a painful road it has also made us more thankful for the teams from the past and made us realize that we need to be a little more realistic in the future.

2002 2007

2003 2008 estimate

Tot Off Avg.

361.9 476.8

297.2 392

Tot Off Yards

5067 5722

3863 4362

Rush Avg

146.6 232.2

119.3 189

Rushing Yds

2053 2800

1551 2115

Pass Avg

215.3 244.7

177.8 202

Pass Yards

3014 2936

2312 2252

23.9 37.9

14.5 23

Td's

41 60

24 35

Int's

13 17

32 41

Fumbles

15 3

8 3

Tot Turn

21 20

47 46

Turn Margin

-3 1

23 27

well, thank goodness most folks are being realists here...much higher level of play is first and foremost...more wins than losses, step 2....build to make a run 2-3 years from now...that's the ticket...anything better along the way is gravy...relax, give Bo some time now....

I agree Hunter...................whether we want to admit it or not Husker fans needed to be brought back down to earth a little bit to help with our unrealistic expectations. While it has been a painful road it has also made us more thankful for the teams from the past and made us realize that we need to be a little more realistic in the future.

I disagree; extremely high expectations can only be a good thing after your worst season in 50 yrs!

I don't belive the cupboards are bare on defense. A new attitude and scheme can swing a few more wins. And a win over VT could give us 8 or dare I say.......9 wins!

A team that has desire and will to win becomes a tougher team to beat too. We had talent, but no heart. It sounds like the Cornhuskers are out for blood this year. The losses in '07 wouldn't have been as hard to take if they just didn't give up on the field. I can handle 8-4 or whatever as long as the Cornhuskers are playing with heart and they're leaving it all out on the field. Nebraska's opponents need to know they were in the fight of their lives when they play Nebraska. I think of the old Nebraska song "Mighty Big Red" - "And so they come to beat the best, and the few that do know that they've messed with Big Red!". I think that the song was made in the 80's during the Big 8 era, but I wish they'd make an updated version for now.

So how can a talentless 7-7 Nebraska team turn around the next year and go 10-3? Was it Jammal Lord's option attack? Did Solich recruit a super class that made an immediate impact? Did the blackshirts bring in a whole new line up? No, No, No, and No!!! Pelini left the Green Bay for Huskerland and things turned around from there.

Go Big Red!!!

What is this "HuskerLand" business? I will not accept anystep backwards like that.

It's HUSKER EMPIRE from now on!

Sorry... "huskerland' just gives me the heebie jeebies <_<

I disagree; extremely high expectations can only be a good thing after your worst season in 50 yrs!

I don't belive the cupboards are bare on defense. A new attitude and scheme can swing a few more wins. And a win over VT could give us 8 or dare I say.......9 wins!

Extremely high expectations lead to impatience and a revolving door at the head-coaching position. All Husker fans need to have patience this time around and allow the program to grow and respond to the new coaching philosophy. JMO

Nice Stats bhunt7 :clap

Extremely high expectations lead to impatience and a revolving door at the head-coaching position. All Husker fans need to have patience this time around and allow the program to grow and respond to the new coaching philosophy. JMO

Not to intelligent Husker Fans.

I, for one, did not need to go through the Cally experiment to fully appreciate past teams..(I went through and even survived the "Sooner Magic" years)

Unrealistic expectations is part of the fun of being a longtime Husker fan. (It makes the Eeyore's of the world easier to spot and avoid).

Do you really think Bo Pelini will consider anything less than championship seasons as being "Successful"?.

He may be slightly more on the realistic side, but I also believe he wants to win this season for this group of Sr's..Not hold back for a run in a couple of seasons...This isn't a boxing match (or career).

He strikes me as someone who hates to lose at anything!

While I chose to remember Husker fans as being smart enough to not do the revolving door thing with the Coaching staff, we should still be allowed to get our hopes up each and every Spring & Summer..It's our birthright.

If I cared anything about being right, I'd say 8-4..But I see us winning more than that..And I don't care who knows it.