CB DeAndre Byrd

Danimal

Bryan Munson from Big Red Report.com just told a local radio show that he thought Bryd was almost "for sure" not going to qualify. He said that keeping Green on board this week was HUGE.

Rickey Thenarse was also "almost for sure" not going to qualify and here he is about to start his senior year.

Will he actually earn a degree though?

Does anyone really care anymore? Let's face it, for all the academic all-americans that have come through, there's been just as many duds. And many who graduated, weren't exactly Einsteins! cough.....Jamal......cough....cough.....Lord

I just hope they don't have to pull a lot of strings to get Byrd in. With all the tutoring NU supplies, once he's enrolled he should have a good chance to graduate.

I care but I'm a college professor. I understand if others don't. I don't expect every athlete to graduate but I think the lowering of standards for stud athletes is a low intergrity move.

I also think it is exploitive- to bring in students you know aren't going to go pro or graduate but use them to sell tickets, merch, etc. What happens when their eligibility expires? They are discarded.

so it's better to leave them with no chance of getting a degree? :dunno

They had no chance of getting a degree when they came in. They knew it, the coaches knew it, the school knew it, the fans knew it. They just had to go to enough classes to maintain the GPA to stay eligible. Do you not think that is happening?

I started some threads a month ago where I listed each recruiting class strating in 2004 and how they ended up. Behind a number of players I put the word "graduated" and someone on this thread pointed out that a number of these people did not graduate. They used up their eligibility.

Here is what I wonder- how could you go to school for 4 years, and maintain the GPA to stay eligible to participate in sports, yet not have the right classes to complete a degree? Even more baffling if they were here for 5 years. Did they just take whatever BS core and electives they could to stay eligible? Is that what their academic advisor suggested? or the athletic dept? If so then are they really being given a chance at a degree or just enrolled in classes to play sports.

You could argue that it is mutual exploitation- both sides agree to it. Yep, except 1 side is full of adults in a position of authority and the other is an 18 year old kid.

I'm not saying NE is a dirty school. It appears we do it less than Texas or OU, and probably a handful of others. Call me a purist but lets try to keep the COLLEGE is College football.

Actually I believe the NCAA requires a certain graduation rate otherwise you get penalized. Nebraska's football program is pretty good at getting guys graduated.

And as far as teachers faking grades, several college programs have been busted for exactly that; I'd shocked if some high schools aren't doing the same thing. Getting your kids into top flight programs can also be used in high school recruiting (even though illegal in many states, it still happens).

I care but I'm a college professor. I understand if others don't. I don't expect every athlete to graduate but I think the lowering of standards for stud athletes is a low intergrity move.

I also think it is exploitive- to bring in students you know aren't going to go pro or graduate but use them to sell tickets, merch, etc. What happens when their eligibility expires? They are discarded.

I didnt have the greatest grades in Highschool but I got a full ride to play baseball at a smaller college. I had to work at the college level nothing is given to these kids but the chance ,you have to that and make the most of it. You can not fault the school for taking people that will have to work harder then someone else in school. I really never had a chance at going Pro but I did get a FREE education out of it and I do not fee I was Exploited in any way. If you can not graduate in 4 years and need a 5th then I guess you suck it up and pay for it your self. I would take one year of student loans rather then 4 or 5 years of them.

uh.. a full ride in baseball? :bs:

if you weren't an absolute stud, you didn't get a full ride playing baseball, especially if you didnt do great in HS.. there are hardly ANY players at ANY school that get a full ride to play baseball.. if a student DOES get a full ride its almost always because they get a mix of academic and athletic scholarships.... you cant just take a kid because he's gonna sell tickets and "give him a chance to earn a degree" if you know he has no prayer. unethical.

HuskerExtra:

Confirmed: Byrd is academic casualty

DeAndre Byrd, a cornerback from Tallahassee, Fla., won't be signing with Nebraska.

"He's signing with a junior college," Tallahassee Lincoln coach Kyle Rice said Wednesday morning, citing academic issues. "We're working with Nebraska to place him. I talked to Bo (Pelini) last night."

The 5-10, 170-pound cornerback didn't return calls from the LJS in recent days. He had received 20 scholarship offers from schools around the nation, including Iowa, Ole Miss, South Florida, Central Florida, Colorado and Iowa State.

"He's a great player -- a very instinctive corner," Rice said of Byrd, a three-year starter for a Lincoln High team that last season finished runner-up in the state's third-largest classification.

Ugh, what is with our continued failure to hold on to highly-rated HS cornerbacks? David Ross, David Whitmore, DeAndre Byrd...this STINGS.

:dunno Keep recruiting guys who have no chance to qualify? Sounds like Nebraska is trying to place him in a JUCO that will feed him back to Nebraska. We'll see if can get his grades together and not pull a Simi Fili.

Ugh, what is with our continued failure to hold on to highly-rated HS cornerbacks? David Ross, David Whitmore, DeAndre Byrd...this STINGS.

As stated by others, certainly Byrd and Whitmore from the moment the recruiting began were risks that were not likely to qualify academically and so it is nothing more complicated then the two young men not making the grades (and, of course the staff figured that this was an issue and might happen, might not, but might). So Bo brought in as well Middleton, Green, Gomes and martinez (who may be a corner, or a safety). That is, Bo loaded up in the event that Byrd would not qualify (which happened and so NU is OK). His hope, of course, was the maybe, just maybe Byrd would make and we'd be better off still.

So... this is not a surprise at all.

The same situation exists for Dijon Washington, Jason Ankrah, and D. Robinson --- they signed, but will they make the grades and actually arrive? If so, great. But do not be surprised come August that Byrd is not alone in having been a grade casualty.

So what is this kid's future, if any, with us? Does he get his grades up and come back later or are we parting ways for good?

From OWH:

9:29 a.m.: Strike one name from the Nebraska's list of expected signees.

Defensive back DeAndre Byrd of Tallahassee (Fla.) Lincoln High School will not sign a letter of intent with the Huskers. He's opting for a junior college, Lincoln coach Kyle Rice said this morning.

Byrd, committed to the Huskers since August, still hopes to attend Nebraska after correcting his academic situation with two years in junior college.

"He is working with Nebraska to find a junior college that's the right fit," Rice said. "He's probably going to go somewhere that puts him in a good situation to get back to Nebraska."