CB DeAndre Byrd

Danimal

Some of what has been linked in the main recruting forum about advantages schools in Florida is included in the SI mag this week which they are nice enough post online now:

FOR A school in a sparsely populated state such as Nebraska, which produced 43 BCS recruits over the past five years (of whom 21 remained in-state to play for the Cornhuskers), by necessity more work is devoted to recruiting out of state, from coast to coast even (map, opposite). Coming off his first season as Nebraska coach, Bo Pelini, formerly the defensive coordinator at LSU, targeted several recruits in Florida this season. The work paid off when he landed a commitment from DeAndre Byrd, a stellar defensive back from Lincoln High in Tallahassee. Nebraska also is expected to sign five players from California, the top-rated of whom is safety Dijon Washington from Leuzinger High in the L.A. suburb of Lawndale. Says Nebraska recruiting coordinator Ted Gilmore of luring players from the Sun Belt, "We have two indoor fields. We can keep them warm."

The encroachments by the Nebraskas, to say nothing of the Trojans' Pac-10 rivals, make the USC coaches even more determined to defend their turf. With the 2009 class almost wrapped, they're turning their attention to recruiting the best in-state players in the class of '10. The staff plans to visit each of California's 1,053 football-playing high schools at least once in the next year. "If it's an all-girls' school, we're not going to go there," recruiting coordinator Brennan Carroll, Pete's son and the Trojans' tight ends coach, says. "But if you're playing high school football, we'll be there."

Not saying that he KNOWS, nor am I taking the side of a "recruiting guru", and I am not saying that Byrd will not make it.......but, as a high school coach and teacher, I will say that you CAN tell who will make it and who will not ........ Right now, I already have a ggreat idea on how many of my football players will be eligible to play for me next year, let alone meet the requirements of ACT or SAT scores to make it into college....... If you are around these kids daily and know their academic background, YOU CAN TELL !!!! We NEVER, EVER give up on a kid and do whatever is within the rules to help the player, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen.... maybe they already know that he hasn't taken the appropriate classes or his scores on the standardized tests or sooo low, that it doesn't appear likely.....

Just food for thought.

Not saying that he KNOWS, nor am I taking the side of a "recruiting guru", and I am not saying that Byrd will not make it.......but, as a high school coach and teacher, I will say that you CAN tell who will make it and who will not ........ Right now, I already have a ggreat idea on how many of my football players will be eligible to play for me next year, let alone meet the requirements of ACT or SAT scores to make it into college....... If you are around these kids daily and know their academic background, YOU CAN TELL !!!! We NEVER, EVER give up on a kid and do whatever is within the rules to help the player, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen.... maybe they already know that he hasn't taken the appropriate classes or his scores on the standardized tests or sooo low, that it doesn't appear likely.....

Just food for thought.

It's kind of sad when kids with that much physical talent basically are offered a free education and still can't meet the basic requirements. I went to a high school that, while not Harvard, was on the upper side of academic testing. I can tell you that even being a decent school, if you can sit in a desk and breathe you should be able to make the grades. These days they roll out the red carpet for everyone. They don't want anyone to feel like they've failed (even if they have). In light of that it makes you wonder about work ethic. I know some people just hate or have problems with academics, so I'm not judging this kid in any way, but it's something to wonder about.

I'll go on record and state that this kid qualifies. He's goes to a football powerhouse HS in Tallahassee and some way, some how against all odds those kids always seem to make it to their D1 destination. Call it good ole fashioned Florida sunshine pumping, he'll get the grades and scores to get into NU. Don't ask me how they pull it off- :cop:

I'll go on record and state that this kid qualifies. He's goes to a football powerhouse HS in Tallahassee and some way, some how against all odds those kids always seem to make it to their D1 destination. Call it good ole fashioned Florida sunshine pumping, he'll get the grades and scores to get into NU. Don't ask me how they pull it off- :cop:

this makes no sense

this makes no sense

Makes perfect sense, if I am right he is saying they change his grades or something like that :dumdum

Bryan Munson from Big Red Report.com just told a local radio show that he thought Bryd was almost "for sure" not going to qualify. He said that keeping Green on board this week was HUGE.

Rickey Thenarse was also "almost for sure" not going to qualify and here he is about to start his senior year.