CB DeAndre Byrd

Danimal

I'll go on record and state that this kid qualifies. He's goes to a football powerhouse HS in Tallahassee and some way, some how against all odds those kids always seem to make it to their D1 destination. Call it good ole fashioned Florida sunshine pumping, he'll get the grades and scores to get into NU. Don't ask me how they pull it off- :cop:

this makes no sense

Makes perfect sense, if I am right he is saying they change his grades or something like that :dumdum

dude when i was in high school that never worked, not for anyone...im all fine for him qualifying and such, i mean come on what are the chances a teacher passes him because hes a great football player?

I'll go on record and state that this kid qualifies. He's goes to a football powerhouse HS in Tallahassee and some way, some how against all odds those kids always seem to make it to their D1 destination. Call it good ole fashioned Florida sunshine pumping, he'll get the grades and scores to get into NU. Don't ask me how they pull it off- :cop:

this makes no sense

Makes perfect sense, if I am right he is saying they change his grades or something like that :dumdum

dude when i was in high school that never worked, not for anyone...im all fine for him qualifying and such, i mean come on what are the chances a teacher passes him because hes a great football player?

Hopefully he earns it. If he cannot then we'll see him in a year or so. I think they'll figure something out (on the up and up). I'm sure they'll give him every chance possible to make it thru.

Bryan Munson from Big Red Report.com just told a local radio show that he thought Bryd was almost "for sure" not going to qualify. He said that keeping Green on board this week was HUGE.

Rickey Thenarse was also "almost for sure" not going to qualify and here he is about to start his senior year.

Will he actually earn a degree though?

Bryan Munson from Big Red Report.com just told a local radio show that he thought Bryd was almost "for sure" not going to qualify. He said that keeping Green on board this week was HUGE.

Rickey Thenarse was also "almost for sure" not going to qualify and here he is about to start his senior year.

Does anyone really care anymore? Let's face it, for all the academic all-americans that have come through, there's been just as many duds. And many who graduated, weren't exactly Einsteins! cough.....Jamal......cough....cough.....Lord

I just hope they don't have to pull a lot of strings to get Byrd in. With all the tutoring NU supplies, once he's enrolled he should have a good chance to graduate.

this makes no sense

You might give me the dumdum sign but did either of you go to HS in the South let alone a football powerhouse in the state of Florida that has a great reputation to follow on pumping out kids to D1 football programs. Remember Tallahassee HS recruits players just like any college program does.

I went to a powerhouse HS program that annually pumped out D1 recruits in the state of Colorado. I played with Brian Kelly that went to USC and now with the Bucs and the one and only FSU Nole kicker Scott Bently. Remember this tool husker fans?? 0830_large.jpgAnd yes he was a tool. The guy had absolutely no shot in qualifying yet someway, somehow he's kicking in the national championship game against NU the next year. And this is little ole Colorado I'm talking about. Bury your head in the sand if you want to???

Does anyone really care anymore? Let's face it, for all the academic all-americans that have come through, there's been just as many duds. And many who graduated, weren't exactly Einsteins! cough.....Jamal......cough....cough.....Lord

I just hope they don't have to pull a lot of strings to get Byrd in. With all the tutoring NU supplies, once he's enrolled he should have a good chance to graduate.

Hell yes we still care. I think it is pathetic that OU and Texas are at the bottom in graduation rates. And I don't care how dumb you are, or how much tutoring you get, you still have to do a lot of work and pass tests. I'm proud that people like Jamal Lord were committed enough to complete their degrees from the University of Nebraska.

No, you don't have a choice there. Nebraska is already less than middle of the pack nationally in academics and that will not change.

We are talking about the program putting these kids through school and making sure they get their degrees. That is important and independent of the strength of Nebraska as an academic institution.

That's up to him. Most students take longer than their allotted 4 years to graduate. My point was that he was not supposed to qualify, but managed to do just that, and has maintained necessary grades to stay on the football team and enrolled in the university. The so called experts sometimes don't know their asses from their elbows.

I care but I'm a college professor. I understand if others don't. I don't expect every athlete to graduate but I think the lowering of standards for stud athletes is a low intergrity move.

I also think it is exploitive- to bring in students you know aren't going to go pro or graduate but use them to sell tickets, merch, etc. What happens when their eligibility expires? They are discarded.

I care but I'm a college professor. I understand if others don't. I don't expect every athlete to graduate but I think the lowering of standards for stud athletes is a low intergrity move.

I also think it is exploitive- to bring in students you know aren't going to go pro or graduate but use them to sell tickets, merch, etc. What happens when their eligibility expires? They are discarded.

so it's better to leave them with no chance of getting a degree? :dunno

so it's better to leave them with no chance of getting a degree? :dunno

I didnt have the greatest grades in Highschool but I got a full ride to play baseball at a smaller college. I had to work at the college level nothing is given to these kids but the chance ,you have to that and make the most of it. You can not fault the school for taking people that will have to work harder then someone else in school. I really never had a chance at going Pro but I did get a FREE education out of it and I do not fee I was Exploited in any way. If you can not graduate in 4 years and need a 5th then I guess you suck it up and pay for it your self. I would take one year of student loans rather then 4 or 5 years of them.

I didnt have the greatest grades in Highschool but I got a full ride to play baseball at a smaller college. I had to work at the college level nothing is given to these kids but the chance ,you have to that and make the most of it. You can not fault the school for taking people that will have to work harder then someone else in school. I really never had a chance at going Pro but I did get a FREE education out of it and I do not fee I was Exploited in any way. If you can not graduate in 4 years and need a 5th then I guess you suck it up and pay for it your self. I would take one year of student loans rather then 4 or 5 years of them.

You are not really who I am talking about. Your grades might have not been the best but you qualified right? Without dcotoring of your numbers?

There are a number of athletes who get into college who really have no chance of getting a degree. Everybody knows it but they act like they don't. That, to me, is exploitive.

I don't want to lessen your college baseball experience but I do think that D1 football generates more revenue. In that regard I do think some players, who never had a shot to graduate, are being exploited. Or maybe that is the wrong word- I think that the idea that SOME of these kids are going to college in the real sense of the word is delusional.