Tom Osborne has spoken to me

So I "subscribe" to this daily e-magazine called Sporting News Today and they have a write-in feature and so I wrote in with the following:

"Many experts aren't expecting much out of Nebraska's football team this year, due to unproven talent and an unproven coach. OK. Still, doesn't going back to the quote unquote Nebraska Way factor into this? Nebraska dominated for so many years, not because of superior athletes, but because of the mentality of the program. Isn't this something to consider when gauging expectations for the team?"

I was you know not really expecting them to post my question, but I get an email back...

"James,

We’ll run your letter — and an answer — in next week’s inaugural issue of the new-and-improved Sporting News magazine. Your name will be right there, on page 5.

But I didn’t want to make you wait for a response.

We went out and got you a couple answers, from some Husker names you may be familiar with. We’ll probably run the first answer, underneath your question, in the magazine.

======

Dear James,

“The Nebraska Way” could mean many things to many people. I think for most this means a very strong work ethic, a physical style of football, and the incorporation of a good many walk-on players. These are all aspects of the football program that Bo Pelini is trying to promote. Therefore, I think that there is a good possibility that Nebraska will exceed the expectations of a good many national pundits.

Best Wishes,

Tom Osborne

James, you make an excellent point. It would be difficult to expect national pundits to understand what is happening in Lincoln. The "culture" of Nebraska football is as important to overall success, as tangible things like the number of starters back. Having a coaching staff and Athletic department led by Coach Osborne, committed to teaching what it means to be a Husker will reap dividends soon. Do not underestimate this group. I think the rest of the nation will soon realize like you James, that this version of Nebraska football will compete at the highest level in the Big 12.

Trev

======

Thanks again for reading, James."

Wow! Wasn't expecting that! Make sure to check it out guys :)

I love hearing Dr. Tom talk like that...that is what is right about Nebraska football. Trev gets it too...even though sometimes I don't agree with everything he has to say, he nailed this one. There is definitely a different kind of culture in Nebraska than there is at 99% or all other major colleges.

You gotta believe...and remember sometimes you have to keep the faith for a little while to make it all pay off. I think we are on the right path to success, gentlemen.