MU & KU Fans....

ray233

J,

I think our standard of good is a little different. We're spoiled in Huskerland....not a lot of losing to temper our expectations over the years. Right, wrong or indifferent, we expect to have a well-ranked and nationally competitive team every year.

I think the Callahan tenure is still looked at as an odd period for many of us. It just didn't feel right, didn't feel like our Nebraska program. I mark it up as a fluke.

So far, Pelini's brand is feeling a lot more familiar. A lesser level of success with Pelini may bring my expectations down a bit, but until then, I'm sticking with the high standards.

Good God. Can you Huskers stop trying to lecture KU fans on what a 'good program' is and how our standards differ, as if we are a fanbase that has never experienced success. We just won a NC for christ's sake. We know all about tradition and having an elite program. Your fball program is better. We get it. There is no debate here. But it doesn't mean that KU fans shouldn't be excited for this season, and after last year, consider KU to be relevant in the bigXII.

:moreinteresting

Relevant in the big 12 because they didn't win the north? they lost to Mizzou. What other good big 12 team did they play? A&M? Ok State? Baylor? yea... okay..... until you guys actually play a half way difficult schedule and have success, you aren't going to get respect in football... its just not going to happen... just because you have success in basketball doesn't mean that you're going to be able to control your success in football... football is probably the most followed sport and when people can talk about it like they are right there with everyone else they want to do that... perfect example is the few people that i saw that were KU baseball fans that were running their mouths like they were amazing on other baseball boards, when they won the big 12 tourney. big deal. in the same respect, nebraska fans will start to 'expect more' out of the basketball team in the coming years, and some will be trash talking just because they win a game or two... not all, maybe not a lot, but some will, and thats just because the lack of success in that department created that need to talk smack. its all fun and games, but don't be idiotic about it by saying that KU is great and they are going to be a power and will go 2-1 vs tech, ou, and texas this year.... thats just stupid! (and no, thats not directed towards you)

Who is making these claims? We could go 2-1, but my 9-3 has a losing to Mizzou, OU and one of the texas schools. 8-4, my second guess, tosses in USF, a texas school or an upset. We could DEFINTIELY win 2, as we do play the games both at home and have a good team. What is with that being "idiotic"? I don't see us taking 2 of those 3, but it is definitely not idioitc that we could win our home games. We could even beat OU for that matter. Tech did last year, so did CU. O-State does on a decent basis. K-State beat Texas the last 2 years in a row, it is not like these teams are utterly invincible.... I am not saying we will go 2-1, but we have some talent and that is why they play the games, we could go 2-1. Should we roll over, or decide we have no chance because we were not good in the 70's and 80's, plus the Terry Allen Years? Should we say, hmmm, we used to lose many years ago and never built up good support because fans don't like to watch bad football for 20 years at a time, so lets just not try? Successful teams don't expect failure, I have noticed your fans are pretty optimisitic, probably on average more than is warranted by the likely outcome, but good for them for hoping for the best. I have seen A LOT more optimistic posts from the Husker fans than someone prediciting a 2-1 for KU vs the big 3 in the South. I am not prediciting that, but I don't call them idiotic. WHen I first got on here, I predicted we would get better and better, and I was called an idiot by some, now that we have, we are "lucky". If Mangino keeps his health, well, we may not be the next Ohio State, but there is no law that says we cannot build something exciting. SUrely trying to be successful, and thinking we can be, is not idiotic at this point.

JustTheTip,

I should have used quotes. I was replying to a statement by jayhawk. He said: "Maybe you guys are so used to dominant that you forgot what a normal definition of good is..."

I was agreeing with him. Just like I'm sure losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago was unacceptable. Even I have higher standards for your team than that.

:thumbs

You are right Ray, if we go 9-3 the next 3 years, and compete for the North every year, it is a big step for us. We will have established a traiditon of being very competitive and our recruting will rise. At NU, that is considered fine, but the next 3 seasons need 10 or more wins and national title hunts. We do have a different standard. I am hoping we can build up to national titles and top recruits all the time, but that is a long time of winning to get and K-State shows how someone can can grab at it, and how with a coach leaving it can slip away (I guess, to be fair, they could still salvage their new "tradition of excellence :) ).

You are right Ray, if we go 9-3 the next 3 years, and compete for the North every year, it is a big step for us. We will have established a traiditon of being very competitive and our recruting will rise. At NU, that is considered fine, but the next 3 seasons need 10 or more wins and national title hunts. We do have a different standard. I am hoping we can build up to national titles and top recruits all the time, but that is a long time of winning to get and K-State shows how someone can can grab at it, and how with a coach leaving it can slip away (I guess, to be fair, they could still salvage their new "tradition of excellence :) ).

That's essentially what Nebraska has been trying to do...salvage the excellence before the program's standards descend.

And rest assured, if KU puts together three or four 9-win seasons in a row (through tougher schedules and some player turnover), my perception of the program's recent success will certainly change. Respect needs to be given where it's earned.

:huh:

Most legitmate Mizzou fans will not talk trash to NU fans. In fact most of us are looking at the game in Lincoln as a huge game, and that is only IF we get by Illinois. We have not beat NU in Lincoln in 30 years.

Until we exercise all the demons, we have done nothing. Until we win a Big 12 Championship (in any sport), we have done nothing. Until we play in a BCS game, we have done nothing.

This Tiger fan (Nebraska Native) very much respects the program that is Nebraska Football. Additionally, I do hope Pelini brings back the roar and re-establishes NU as an elite program. You may think I am crazy, but, I think Pinkel will get MU to become a annual top 10 program. Having all Big12 programs doing well will only make our conference that much better. I for one am tired of the SEC.

Thank you for being humble. It's gets old when people get on here to talk trash and only have one legitimate good season to back it up. I agree with your statement about Mizzou getting by Illinois, Ron Zook had a knack at FL for beating teams he wasn't supposed to. Good luck in the upcoming year.

Nebraska is one of the most storied programs in the country. The Huskers are in the conversation with Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Florida State. Oklahoma and Texas and I am sure I left someone out.

The consistent winning by the Huskers is what the rest of the Big 12 North and former Big 8 teams have been striving for. Nebraska set the standard for, what, 35 years?

Missouri has been trying to reach that type of consistency, obviously a long way to go before MU would ever be in the same sentence historically as Nebraska. Most of the trash talk is coming from the fans that are younger, and frankly don't have a perspective on the Nebraska's of the 70's 80's and 90's. All they know is MU has won the last three in Columbia, so what is the big deal about Nebraska.

You have to remember unbridled youth rarely studies history!

Good Luck to the Huskers this year.. especially against the Hawks..lol

Living in Kansas City, I deal with KU and MU fans every day. Halfway through the season last year all I was hearing from KU fans was how they were going to run the table and have a shot at the national championship. MU fans were looking forward to the showdown with KU and a shot at the Big XII championship. Kinda reminded me of KSU in '98 when they were all pumped for the BCS championship game only to lose to A&M in the Big XII.

Now this year I am bombarded with radio ads for KU proclaiming their "tradition" in football while only listing accomplishments from last year including putting up 76 on Nebraska. It makes me want to puke. I remember going to the Nebraska game in Lawrence and having more Husker fans in the stands than KU fans. I wonder if their basketball team were to go a couple of seasons around .500 how full Allen Fieldhouse would be.

Right now KU's program is on par with Rutgers. They both had a good year, but have yet to prove they can sustain it.

Living in Kansas City, I deal with KU and MU fans every day. Halfway through the season last year all I was hearing from KU fans was how they were going to run the table and have a shot at the national championship. MU fans were looking forward to the showdown with KU and a shot at the Big XII championship. Kinda reminded me of KSU in '98 when they were all pumped for the BCS championship game only to lose to A&M in the Big XII.

Now this year I am bombarded with radio ads for KU proclaiming their "tradition" in football while only listing accomplishments from last year including putting up 76 on Nebraska. It makes me want to puke. I remember going to the Nebraska game in Lawrence and having more Husker fans in the stands than KU fans. I wonder if their basketball team were to go a couple of seasons around .500 how full Allen Fieldhouse would be.

Right now KU's program is on par with Rutgers. They both had a good year, but have yet to prove they can sustain it.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

This is another sign that KU is NOT a good program. After their best year ever - they need to ADVERTISE to sell tickets. Constantly. Over and over and over. Good programs do not do this. Imagine Nebraska or Oklahoma or Tennessee or Meeechigan or Alabama or Notre Dumb doing this?

This is another sign that KU is NOT a good program. After their best year ever - they need to ADVERTISE to sell tickets. Constantly. Over and over and over. Good programs do not do this. Imagine Nebraska or Oklahoma or Tennessee or Meeechigan or Alabama or Notre Dumb doing this?

I think I am saying we are a good team and are becoming a good program. You don't have a few decent seasons, one great one, and POW, the stadium fills up for the year. If NU has no winning records for the next 20 years, it will be bye bye waiting lists. Good for you guys that it take s a long time to take the air out of a great tradition because it has so much momentum, fan to fan, father to son, etc. We don't have much of that. I have had season tickets from before our resurgance, and my dad did too. Our season ticket sales are way up now, and we sell out more games. If we win for a long time, that will make it a whole different story. If Mangino can keep winning, you may have to add us to the list, but it takes a lot longer than he has had so far to do it.

The programs you listed are not good, they are great. They are what the others want. I agree with a previous KU poster, we totally get a great program. We are about as good as it gets in basketball. I get it. I grew up watching KU in both sports, and seeing you guys come down in football and be quite absent in basketball, I know what the difference it. I just don't think it is magic. It is hard to build and easier to sustain once built, but there is no law preventing new entrants, just a hard road, which we have at least started to embark on. Either way, we still are going to be good this year and if you are not as good on the field again, you can always remember fondly how you had a better spring game and a longer waiting list.... I think Bo will be more focused on trying to play KU and beat us, and he will scout a good team and gameplan to beat that good team. I hope he fails, but I wish the best to you Husker fans because you have a fun prgram to follow...

(PS, if you need advice in reverse, don't wear football gear to your basketball games, we used to have the opposite problem)

• 3 weeks later...

history is wonderful, but worthless on the field. so far the 08 creampuffs have shown no respect for nu history. why should ku or mu??

there was a time, not so long ago that creampuffs folded like a well pressed shirt. those days are gone for now.

And just a little reminder-- KU has scoreboard. with scoreboard comes bragging rights. like it or not.

It's up to NU to get it back.

give ku their due for winning where it counts-- on the field.

...or don't

-- it's called good sportmanship.

you have it or you don't.

talk is cheap.

internet talk is even cheaper.

it'll play out on the field.

GO BO!!

• 1 month later...

My brother was in Kansas a couple of weeks ago. I think the one most interesting thing about KU fans is the fact that they were all sporting KU football gear. While normally one wouldn't think twice about this as KU had an amazing football season last year, KU won the friggin NCAA BBall Championship. This would be like coming to Nebraska seeing everyone wearing BBall gear if we made the tournament after our football team just won the NC game.

The times in Lawrence are a changing boys. Regardless of how bad ya'll don't want to admit it. When my Hawks finish 10-2, and prove everyone wrong on this board, again for the second straight year, don't worry, I'll be back to blow my horn. Remember, the Jayhawks were picked to finish 4th in the North last year, with a 7-5 or 6-6 record. They finished 11-1. This year.....that's yet to be seen. But to say this team isn't battle tested is false. Winning at A&M is no easy task. Anyone who knows anything about college football would tell you that. And winning in Boulder has never been easy. Ask OU. KU played in two HUGE games..MU and Virginia Tech. Alot of KU's players returning have big game experience.

They'll be ready to take on the big boys from the south.

KU will go 2-1 against the Big 12 South this year. Book it. SAVE THIS POST!!! :koolaid2:

0-2 with the #1 team in the nation left from the south... i was waiting til i got my laptop back so i could find where i had it bookmarked......

Hypocrites! You can drink the red kool-aid to help you believe that you will beat OU this weekend, and not too mention the ridiculous 10/11 win season that was expected by some of you. Yep the skers are BCS bound this year... but we cant drink blue kool-aid cause we are just kansas fans???

I will support my team no matter what sport they are playing just like the big red fans will support the NU basketball even though they have no tradition.

Hypocrites! You can drink the red kool-aid to help you believe that you will beat OU this weekend, and not too mention the ridiculous 10/11 win season that was expected by some of you. Yep the skers are BCS bound this year... but we cant drink blue kool-aid cause we are just kansas fans???

I will support my team no matter what sport they are playing just like the big red fans will support the NU basketball even though they have no tradition.

and people(other nu fans along with a few KU fans) called them out.