Sanders connects with his players

Awesome article about Marvin Sanders :koolaid2:

Sanders connects with his players

Preaching what he practiced, Sanders connects with players

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Marvin Sanders, from those darkest hours in November 2003, developed the strength and perspective that help shape him today.

During a four-day period of Thanksgiving week, Sanders buried his mother and saw his boss fired, effectively ruining his plan to settle into a long-term coaching "dream job" at Nebraska, his alma mater.

None of it, though, entirely prepared him for a Saturday afternoon phone call last October to his mother-in-law. Sanders, out of college football in 2007, had finished coaching his son to victory in a North Carolina youth league, and he wanted to know the score of the Nebraska-Oklahoma State game.

It's 38-0 at halftime, his mother-in-law said.

Oh, good, said Sanders. No, she told him, Nebraska is behind.

"I broke down," Sanders said. "That hurt me as a former player."

An NU defensive back from 1985 to 1989 and one-year assistant coach before Bill Callahan took over in January 2004, Sanders returned this year to Lincoln to coach the secondary. He is motivated, perhaps more than anything else, to ensure that the Huskers never again endure that feeling he shared with them 10 months ago.

Don't misunderstand. Sanders won't place blame on Callahan, the defensive staff or their players.

"I don't know the scope of it, so it's hard to make a judgment," he said, "but I do know the character of those young men who sit in my office. And it still hurts."

Sanders recalled that phone conversation in a speech to the defensive backs this month during preseason camp. Again, he got emotional.

"It was something special because you see how much this program

really meant to him," sophomore Anthony West said.

The speech also affected cornerback Armando Murillo, a senior who started every game last year on the defense that allowed an average of 37 points a game — and 172 during its final three games.

"It came from the heart, so it hit all of us," Murillo said. "For me, personally, I've never had it told to me like that."

And then when Sanders had their attention, he really let loose.

The 40-year-old coach talked about the Blackshirt tradition. He spoke with passion about the pride it continues to bring him.

Sanders told the defenders about his clear memory of the day he received the black practice jersey that signifies a starting role on the NU defense. He recalled one evening after a poor practice of how he sat in the locker room and felt bad because he let his team down.

"It's a mind-set," Sanders said. "It a belief. It's determination, heart and effort. That love for Nebraska football. All those things are what a Blackshirt is made of."

As Sanders talked, according to West, the room grew silent.

"Seeing that out of a coach, somebody you looked up to, it means a lot," West said. "We always knew that passion was there, but I could tell it hit everybody. Once you build trust like that with a guy like that, it's nothing but good for the program."

Somebody asked Sanders if he still had his Blackshirt. Of course, he said. A few days later, Sanders brought it to the stadium.

"It still has my tape on it," he said.

Just Wednesday morning at practice, Sanders saw Jason Peter, the former All-America defensive tackle who received his first letter at Nebraska five years after Sanders got his last.

"I didn't play with Jason Peter," Sanders said. "He's a Blackshirt, though. He came up and I gave him a hug."

At some point in the time since Sanders last stood on that Nebraska sideline, the Huskers lost their knack for connecting with the past.

Not convinced? This summer, senior safety Larry Asante, a 10-game starter last year and Nebraska's top returning tackler, called Sanders while the coach was on vacation.

"He wanted to know what it means to be a Blackshirt, what it's all about," Sanders said. "I want guys to be able to call me and do things like that. I thought that was special. Hopefully, they'll hear my story. They'll hear Coach Pelini talk. They'll read something about a former player.

"And sooner or later, they'll realize what it means."

Sanders said he knows it can't happen overnight, but he returned to Lincoln only because he thought Nebraska could regain its defensive swagger under Bo Pelini.

Callahan's 2004 decision not to retain Sanders, among six others, elicited perhaps the most disappointment from Nebraska fans. Sanders had earned the reputation as a player favorite in his stint with the Huskers.

This time around, he said, he still keeps an open-door policy. He said he wants his players to identify with him.

"If they're going through something," he said, "I've been there as well. I'm not saying that I have the perfect answer, but I can see their side."

His approach seems to work.

"I trust what he's telling me," Murillo said.

Away from Nebraska, Sanders said he rarely considered a return to his "second home" — not after the way it ended in 2003. Sanders was outspoken in his criticism of NU administrators upon his departure.

"What it did for me was make me really understand the business aspect of college football," Sanders said. "I was going through a whole lot. But all I can control is my end. Good, bad or indifferent, I have no control over how somebody else handles a situation."

• Contact the writer: 402-473-9587, mitch.sherman@owh.com

An NU defensive back from 1985 to 1989 and one-year assistant coach before Bill Callahan took over in January 2004, Sanders returned this year to Lincoln to coach the secondary. He is motivated, perhaps more than anything else, to ensure that the Huskers never again endure that feeling he shared with them 10 months ago.

That's pretty powerful.

Not convinced? This summer, senior safety Larry Asante, a 10-game starter last year and Nebraska's top returning tackler, called Sanders while the coach was on vacation.

"He wanted to know what it means to be a Blackshirt, what it's all about," Sanders said. "I want guys to be able to call me and do things like that. I thought that was special. Hopefully, they'll hear my story. They'll hear Coach Pelini talk. They'll read something about a former player.

I'm glad to hear stuff like this about our players and wanting to know what the Blackshirt tradition is all about. I REALLY THINK THAT WE ARE GOING TO SURPRISE ALOT OF PEOPLE THIS YEAR. :bonez

These sort of articles are getting me ridiculously excited for this season. I'm not expecting miracles, I just hope I'm not let down. I just want them to win the games they should, maybe an upset or two and play hard every down. If that happens, the season will be a success in my eyes....

:yeah:restore

Can you say goose bumps, I think this staff if they stay together like T.O. had will write thier own great history in Husker lore

every time i read an article like that lately i've been getting goose bumps !

i think one reason for the excitement is just knowing we have a great staff in place instead of just saying to ourselves, " well , I'm not too sure about Callahan and his staff but this is what we got so let's roll with it ... because they did win the North a few years ago and we got Keller in here so he can handle it and Ganz is just a backup "

i just think that the stability is obviously here now and all that turmoil from last season may turn around in a hurry .. god let's hope so !

:restore

None of it, though, entirely prepared him for a Saturday afternoon phone call last October to his mother-in-law. Sanders, out of college football in 2007, had finished coaching his son to victory in a North Carolina youth league, and he wanted to know the score of the Nebraska-Oklahoma State game.

I think we all know this feeling to well now. I'm just grateful that these coaches are the ones who are hear for a chance to turn things around.

Hearing these things from Sanders and Brown, makes me want to suit up! I better go find some Pop Warner kids to throw around. :box

I think we all know this feeling to well now. I'm just grateful that these coaches are the ones who are hear for a chance to turn things around.

Hearing these things from Sanders and Brown, makes me want to suit up! I better go find some Pop Warner kids to throw around. :box

:yeah

If we would have brought in any other coaches from the outside, I don't think we would have ever regained the old Husker Tradition that has been missing for so long. We haven't recovered it completely as of yet, but I feel good about the possibility that it has moved from almost dead to recovery. GBR!!

Still pisses me off that a great db-coach and husker in Sanders got canned to bring in Coz's little buddy Elmo. Getting Sanders and Brown back in the fold was huge. They are not only awesome position-coaches but they have a bond-to and understanding-of Nebraska football that will get their players going to war like our guys did back in the day.