Article about Irving and Londen Fryar

wmsam04

"I went and took a DVD (of Londen playing high school football) and put it in the hand of coach (Bill) Callahan," Irving said of now the former Huskers coach, who was fired last fall after four seasons. "I never got a call. ... I was very disappointed with the way coach Callahan handled that."

"They were telling me I wasn't good enough to be there," said Londen, who had scholarship offers from West Virginia and Rutgers. "At the moment it hurt. I don't know how to say it. I was like, 'Dang Dad, didn't you go there? And they don't want me to go?' I'm like, 'I'm your son. You did big things there. They don't want me to go?'

Did I ever tell anybody that Callahan is a complete MORON!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

If he would have been an offensive player, he'd have been granted a scholly right off the bat. When you have like 7 QB's and 10 RB's and 15 WR's all handed schollies, there's not much to go around on D. I know the numbers are somewhat exaggerated, but come on we never really even tried on the D side of the ball. This is probably one of the biggest reasons so many Solich recruits were still starting last year on D. BC just never concentrated on that side of the ball as much as needed. I think in his mind he was convinced if he got great athletes on the offensive side of the ball he could simply use the leftovers on the defensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, players like Leon Jackson didn't see it this way.

Didn't Cally recruit about 100 receivers? I seem to remember that being the case, although with Swift and Peterson as the senior guys now I'm wondering if my memory is a bit blurry... At any rate, the kid is 5'9", so the fact that he didn't get a scholarship offer maybe shouldn't really be a mark against Cally.

My big problem here is that Cally never even called Fryar back. And he even coached in Philly for two years while Irving was playing there. I mean, he didn't even pick up the phone to call one of his own former players! What a d*ck.