Husker fan's excitement level at this point last year.

The previous four years were crap stank gross bs.

Even the year we won the North by beating all of the teams in the North for the first time since 1999? :dunno Just asking. Not to mention they gave us Zac Taylor and Brandon Jackson. :clap

Ah yes, that illustrious "North" title. I'm sure that banner carry's very high with all of the rest of the banners hanging in the rafters.

Of course, I should have been very pleased with that one, after all, if I remember, that team won that banner with all of its goals still intact. With its 5 losses too I might add. Including the last two games of the year. And finishing unranked. Zac Taylor and Jackson (who didn;t even start all year) notwithstanding.

There were some bright moments, but there has been a whole lot of dark for a long time now. I'm not saying after one game I'm ready to anoit anybody, but there are a lot of things being done differently that seems to be bringing about a better attitude.

Even the year we won the North by beating all of the teams in the North for the first time since 1999? :dunno Just asking. Not to mention they gave us Zac Taylor and Brandon Jackson. :clap

Ah yes, that illustrious "North" title. I'm sure that banner carry's very high with all of the rest of the banners hanging in the rafters.

Of course, I should have been very pleased with that one, after all, if I remember, that team won that banner with all of its goals still intact. With its 5 losses too I might add. Including the last two games of the year. And finishing unranked. Zac Taylor and Jackson (who didn;t even start all year) notwithstanding.

There were some bright moments, but there has been a whole lot of dark for a long time now. I'm not saying after one game I'm ready to anoit anybody, but there are a lot of things being done differently that seems to be bringing about a better attitude.

i think the fire and desire is back

Last year was 52-10 with NU gaining over 600 yards of offense and giving up 185. So you could say that we played a better 1st game last year just by going off the stats and final score. We had 400 yards of rushing that day as well.

Of course this means nothing towards this year though. Or does it?

There is no doubt that last years game 1 was better for NU. No comparison. What does it mean? Who knows?!

I felt this years game 1 validated my (unfortunately comparatively modest) expectations for this season. Getting to a 6-6 or 7-5 season would be nice and will be a challenge. A bowl game will be nice for the Huskers this year. Continual improvement, incremental improvement. Effort and intensity. And, it should be fun to root for Big Red in these lean years of rebuilding. It will be all the more sweet when the Huskers are back (some day).

Yeah, you could tell that the WF game was the beginning of us hanging on the cliff. After that we fell and the parachute didn't open.

That's a good way to put it BIGREDIOWAN :lol:

I will say this our Defense did play better compared to last year and our team was actually playing and having fun and it's nice to see our Coaches get into the game too. I really do think that we'll surprise a lot of people this year.

Last year was 52-10 with NU gaining over 600 yards of offense and giving up 185. So you could say that we played a better 1st game last year just by going off the stats and final score. We had 400 yards of rushing that day as well.

Of course this means nothing towards this year though. Or does it?

There is no doubt that last years game 1 was better for NU. No comparison. What does it mean? Who knows?!

I felt this years game 1 validated my (unfortunately comparatively modest) expectations for this season. Getting to a 6-6 or 7-5 season would be nice and will be a challenge. A bowl game will be nice for the Huskers this year. Continual improvement, incremental improvement. Effort and intensity. And, it should be fun to root for Big Red in these lean years of rebuilding. It will be all the more sweet when the Huskers are back (some day).

:yeah I totally agree with everything you said. :thumbs

That illustrious "North" title is no different then most of the "Big" 8 titles that we won with Dr. Tom. Who did we ever beat in the "Big" 8 that was worth a crap besides OU and CU (KSU & KU for the last 3 years). Most of the time it was like playing JV teams. Also considering that we have only won the illistrious "North" 3 times in 12 years I think that banner should be accepted by the Nation. Will it probably isn't now that we are supposed to forget that the last 4 years ever happened and happily skip together like it is the "Old Days".

I read a writer's opinion in some old Sporting News article that if Zac Taylor would have sucked, Callahan would have been canned long before he actually was....

The last four years were all Zac Taylor's fault :angry:

I was pretty excited this time last year...but then again, I also know ALOT more about football. I am usually pretty good at seeing through the crap. I have a feeling that if I had the knowledge I have now, I could have called Callahan's bluff.

But then again, hindsight is 20/20.

Nobody could have rationally predicted the meltdown last year. Notice I said rationally...there are always a few nutjobs who think you'll get the heavens-are-aligning worst/best case scenario. But the vast majority of the people, whether they liked or hated Callahan, would not have dreamed the team could fall apart like they did last season.

That illustrious "North" title is no different then most of the "Big" 8 titles that we won with Dr. Tom. Who did we ever beat in the "Big" 8 that was worth a crap besides OU and CU (KSU & KU for the last 3 years). Most of the time it was like playing JV teams. Also considering that we have only won the illistrious "North" 3 times in 12 years I think that banner should be accepted by the Nation. Will it probably isn't now that we are supposed to forget that the last 4 years ever happened and happily skip together like it is the "Old Days".

The difference of course being that the Big 8 was an actual conference. I challenge you to name a squad who "we" beat in 06 that was "worth a crap" to play in that title game that was over the minute Purify fumbled.

I was not a conference title, but it would have been a fantastic stepping stone had the wheels not fallen off. They did. Here we are. Like I said, I'm not ready to crown anybody yet (far from it) but as of right now, today, there is a better attitude.