non-conference games he'd like to see

np_husker

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...&id=3568725

1. Penn State-West Virginia in Heinz Field. These former bitter rivals would be a great fit in Pittsburgh, just up the road from Morgantown but in the Lions' home state. JoePa wouldn't go for it, probably, but hey, Pat White will be gone by next year, Joe.

2. Ohio State-Notre Dame in the Lucas Oil Stadium;. These two have met in recent years, when the games were scheduled in the era of ex-Woody Hayes' assistant Lou Holtz's tenure in South Bend. Let's bring it back. Buckeyes faithful would flock to Indy. It is a city, like Atlanta, with a dome situated in a very convenient, fan-friendly setting in downtown. Assuming Charlie Weis can redirect the Irish fortunes, this would be a natural collision of traditional regional behemoths. I know that Senator Tressel has home dates with USC and Miami (the one from Coral Gables) in coming years, so it's a huge ask. But it would be fun. If Ohio State won't do it, invite Wisconsin and move the game to Soldier Field. Badgers fans would eat it up.

3. LSU-Texas in Reliant Stadium. This would be a blockbuster, in a setting convenient for both fan bases. Houston has so many transplants from Louisiana so it would be a great treat for them. Imagine the serious talent on the field each year. The two strongest conferences these days rarely square off, except in the Cotton Bowl, when it is usually a consolation prize. This would involve serious bragging rights.

4. Nebraska-Iowa in Kansas City. OK, so this one lacks the star power of the others because the Hawkeyes are down and the Huskers need to regain some luster. But they will. These cornbelt neighbors ought to collide once in awhile. Both could use a bit more glamour in their nonconference slates.

5. USC vs. a rotating group of SEC heavies. If the stadium were bigger, I'd say play it in Vegas. Maybe a football field could be built inside the speedway north of town. (Just kidding). It would be awesome each year to see the Trojans tackle Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Alabama or Auburn in some neutral setting. It could even be in the SEC's backyard -- Orlando, Memphis or Atlanta. USC doesn't mind traveling into the heart of the Deep South for a stern test.

I disagree. Why try to create a rival matchup because they're border states? I have no interest seeing the Huskers play Iowa unless it's already scheduled. And it's not.

Give me Nebraska vs Alabama. Now that seems more storied with more intrigue.

By the way Iowa, the Steelers called. They want their uniforms back.

I disagree. Why try to create a rival matchup because they're border states? I have no interest seeing the Huskers play Iowa unless it's already scheduled. And it's not.

Yeah! I kind have always wanted Nebraska to have a non-conference team they play every year. Alabama would be perfect. Schedule it!

I concur, I would love to see us play an Auburn, Bama, or Arkansas team in our non conference schedule. Or maybe a better big 10 team than Iowa. Maybe us and Michigan at Soldier Field in Chicago.

:bonez:horns2:horns2:bonez

4. Nebraska-Iowa in Kansas City. OK, so this one lacks the star power of the others because the Hawkeyes are down and the Huskers need to regain some luster. But they will. These cornbelt neighbors ought to collide once in awhile. Both could use a bit more glamour in their nonconference slates.

Good idea WRONG city. Why move it away from either Lincoln or Iowa City, two of the best college towns in the US.

Huskers vr Crimson Tide was always good. Huskers vr Penn State was good.

Too many teams don't want to schedule a possible loss outside their own conference. OSU vr USC is a possible early season title game this year and a treat for college football fans, unfortunately we don't get games like this every year.

I love my Huskers but a win over an Alabama or a Penn St. lasts a long time, a win over WMU or SJS lasts until the beer is gone.

T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez