Talent level

I noticed that some of the messages this past week have attributed the disappointing showing with SJSU to the talent level of the team. There have been suggestions that the "cupboard" was bare when BC departed and Bo took over. Comparisions have been made to BC taking the helm after Solich was dismissed. One message stated that BC had inherited MORE talent than Bo.

Bo has stated that there is not a lack of talent and this isn't a rebuilding phase. Offensively, Bo's team has more weapons and depth - especially in the quarterback and wr positions - than Solich's teams. Defensively, I would concur that the players with Frankie's team were better - especially up front (Moore, Carriker). I think that the difference is that, back in Solich's reign, teams like KU and Missou had not emerged. The Big 12 North was basically a two team league - Nebraska and Colorado. There was a huge discrepancies between the strength of teams from the B12 South and those of the North. Now there are many quality teams in the B12 North, making it more difficult to accumulate a decent won-loss record and earn a bowl bid. I also think that the emergence of the spread offense has enabled traditionally weak teams to improve quickly and compete against the traditional powerhouses. During Solich's final year, I don't think that the team was all that great....it's just that we were able to waltz through the B12 North teams. If this team played against the same B12 North teams as Solich's, then I don't think that people would be predicting only 6 or 7 wins this year. IMO, the talent is "there" this year....it's just that the competition is that much better.

Just wondering what others think about this.

Yes, the north teams have gotten substantially better than back in 2003. That does play a big difference, but bottom line is that Nebraska has talented kids that haven't been coached to their portential for the past four years. Bo is doing his best to whip this team into shape, but, as the cliche is around here "IT'S GOING TO TAKE TIME." That's why all these doomsdayers around here saying that the end of Husker football has come because we struggled against a WAC team should just be ignored. In due time, we'll return.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other......say it either way, better talent on other teams now or we don't have the talent we used to have...what is Bo going to say, "gee, i accept the challenge at NU, but the current crop of players is inadequate to produce significantly better results"?

no, he has to pump up and play/coach the kids he has inherited..that being said, he knows the overall coaching effort has to be reevaluated at this point.......right now......before moving ahead with additional game refinements......back to the drawing board, still have a couple weeks to get t he basics down.......

Yes the talent is "there" it's just that teams have gotten better as you say. Who would of thought that KU and Missouri would be where they are now 10 years or maybe 5 years ago. Same with East Carolina. They are doing it with in-state recruits. which according to rivals and other websites were 2 or 3 star recruits. it all depends on coaching. I remember when pinkel was on the hot seat.

again... just like with comparing the talent level to what bo had last time, go back and look at the stats in 2003. moore and carricker did nothing the year before. it wasnt like cally got these big name established players. 2 games in we dont know who will do what this year. its still way to early to say he had more talent

You can call what ever you want, but we are down on talent to any major program. If theres is better we are down.

I agree every single program out there has gotten better.

Kansas and Colorado may have equal talent, but are further along on their rebuild than we are, Missouri has far better talent and will continue to have it.

We as a fan base have to understand where we are, and support the program. Kids hear the unrest and want nothing to do with it. We need to let the current staff work out the problems, play the young kids and hope for the best. I did not see or hear the game Saturday, but I think Bo will get them to play the best they can. But as I have stated many times, and still feel it is the root problem for this staff and the prior staff, is heart. We recruited kids looking for the short trip to the NFL. Not living dying college football, as we seem to be able to get in the past.

Look for a better game this weekend. and a hard fought loss in three weeks, a rout the following and a major fall through at Texas Tech. Be prepared for that and understand why it happens and we will be a lot better off.

No coach is going to say his kids suck, have no talent, no heart. He is going to build them up and try to motivate them to be the best they can be.

You can call what ever you want, but we are down on talent to any major program. If theres is better we are down.

Kansas and Colorado may have equal talent, but are further along on their rebuild than we are, Missouri has far better talent and will continue to have it.

We as a fan base have to understand where we are, and support the program. Kids hear the unrest and want nothing to do with it. We need to let the current staff work out the problems, play the young kids and hope for the best. I did not see or hear the game Saturday, but I think Bo will get them to play the best they can. But as I have stated many times, and still feel it is the root problem for this staff and the prior staff, is heart. We recruited kids looking for the short trip to the NFL. Not living dying college football, as we seem to be able to get in the past.

Look for a better game this weekend. and a hard fought loss in three weeks, a rout the following and a major fall through at Texas Tech. Be prepared for that and understand why it happens and we will be a lot better off.

No coach is going to say his kids suck, have no talent, no heart. He is going to build them up and try to motivate them to be the best they can be.

i agree with you 100%

The talent is fine, they just have not been developed properly. Recruits are nothing more than raw potential. They turn into good college football players when coached properly. Callahan did fine at getting the raw material, but poorly at turning it into a quality product.

Hence all of the playmakers so far have been the younger players.

I don't think the Big 12 North is any more loaded now than they were in 2003. It's just that the strong teams have changed. Instead of KState, Nebraska, and CU ruling the roost; we have Mizzou and KU. KState beat an OU team that was once heralded as one of the best ever college football teams. Back in the early 2000's, Iowa State was also a pretty solid team. Even then, the North was winning the Big 12 Championship every other year. When was the last time the North has won the Big 12 Championship?

100% disagree.

if he didnt think that there is talent on this team then he would not have said so. no one is dumb enough to lay something like that solely on their head. thats like saying we are going to finish 12-0 regular season and ending up with a 5-7 regular season, you might as well just throw your career in the garbage can. give me a break what you said in your post made absolutely no sense. i can tell you right now that we might end up with a 6-6 record this year (though i think 8 wins is doable) but that we have the talent to do better. A first year head coach and a lot of coaches that most of these players have never worked with.

i also keep seeing a lot of people saying that we dont have a running game, even though these are the same backs we had last year and most of the line is the same. i understand not wanting to be disappointed but some of you are panicking WAY TOO QUICKLY.

IF YOU ARE GIVING UP AS A FAN (IE. NOT GIVING US A CHANCE AGAINST MU OR TTECH) THEN WHAT DO YOU THINK THE TEAM IS DOING. i pray that they have a stronger will than some posters have. :wtf

:rant

The talent is fine, they just have not been developed properly. Recruits are nothing more than raw potential. They turn into good college football players when coached properly. Callahan did fine at getting the raw material, but poorly at turning it into a quality product.

hit the nail on the head and did it in 4 sentences. I couldn't have said it any better

Yeah, Cally was like the dude that took home the hottest chic in the bar, but he didn't know what to do once they were in bed.

I think he had a solid plan in place, but he wasn't the players' coach that Bo is. Bo will mold the team and find the chemistry that has been lacking to make us a complete team.

:koolaid2: GBR

I've heard some talk about the possibility of some of the mistakes (on defense at least) being players resorting to Cosgrove techniques when they aren't 100% sure of what to do in Pelini's system. It would explain alot of the missed tackles, being out of position, etc.. Pelini himself has said (even when someone makes a good play), that they haven't been doing what he wants them to do... mental mistakes, bad execution.

In short, I think it's going to take a while to completely get rid of some of the philosophies and techniques that Cosgrove, Callahan, and co. instilled in this team... remember most of these kids were coached for 2-4 years under them and less than 1 year under Pelini.