How do we defend Va Tech's Taylor?

SwiftFan87

duh...did anyone else notice what their offense actually put out Saturday against GT? I am not worried about their offense. their paltry 240 or so yards yesterday was a joke.

This is how you get your butt handed to you...

By underestimating the enemy...

Never, ever, underestimate your opponent...

:box

Well, if my enemy don't have any more than a slingshot to use against me...not too worried about it really. They haven't shown any offense what so ever. Their defense is the only thing that has kept them competitive and given them a chance to win at all. I am confident that our offense has enough weapons to overcome their defense. I don't think their defense will outscore our offense, and that is the only way that they will beat us if our defense plays like they are capable of playing.

:clap

duh...did anyone else notice what their offense actually put out Saturday against GT? I am not worried about their offense. their paltry 240 or so yards yesterday was a joke.

Well, if my enemy don't have any more than a slingshot to use against me...not too worried about it really. They haven't shown any offense what so ever. Their defense is the only thing that has kept them competitive and given them a chance to win at all. I am confident that our offense has enough weapons to overcome their defense. I don't think their defense will outscore our offense, and that is the only way that they will beat us if our defense plays like they are capable of playing.

and underestimating your enemies, will get you your a$$ handed to you, everytime...

and underestimating your enemies, will get you your a$$ handed to you, everytime...

I agree, we definitely can't underestimate the Hokies offense. Yes, they may have looked crappy so far this year but believe me they can still score points. We need to pressure the hell out of Taylor, alter our looks and coverages and he will make some bad decisions and turn the ball over.

Man spy and let the DE's pin thier ears back to disrupt timing to try and make him make quick pass decisions.

I agree about the quick pass - that should be the goal. But I think that given his feet, you have to think "contain" first and foremost.. I'm not sure that a spy is necessary - and it pulls one man out of the normal scheme. This is a young guy that is a shaky passer. He isn't that conversant with the offensive scheme. I think you use the front 4 for contain, then bring the blitz from odd-ball angles. Don't overload on the blitz, though - the idea is to do just enough to make him get rid of the ball in a hurry. Mix up the coverages a bit. In other words, keep him in the pocket, give him some pressure from areas he's not expecting - and just enough pressure from the blitz - to force him into bad decisions.

After watching our offense under our current offensive coordinator, the best thing to do would be to blitz the crap out of us. Every Tech fan knows that our OC ( I'm not going to attempt to spell his last name) can tell you that he is incapable of calling plays that make a defense pay for blitzing. We have no offensive identity with him considering how he will not continue doing something even if it is successful. An example of this is how we completely abandoned running the ball with Brandon Ore against Kansas in the Orange Bowl. Our defense still struggles with tackling and playing assignment football. Our corners are the real strength of the defense considering that they will get physical in run support and lockdown receivers. Our d-line continues to get no pressure on the quarterback and our 5th year Senior linebackers just look slow on the field. Bo shut down our offense last year by blitzing which will probably not change. To be honest, I don't have a lot of expectations for this game anymore.